Turn off switch for ABS in 2013 model possible?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

atractaspis
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 1059

Turn off switch for ABS in 2013 model possible?

Post by atractaspis »

This might be an odd question to most, but I thought I would give it a try anyways: does anybody know (or has tried) to install a switch that can turn the ABS off when not wanted (like in off road conditions)?

I had a scary encounter with ABS off road. I know this bike is my an off road bike, but it's my "universally talented" bike and it actually handles pretty well off road for a 450# bike that is a street bike, and I will not be able to buy a second bike for many years. Anyways, I have tried the engine shot off switch while riding to see if it turned of ABS (thought that might b one way to try no ABS). But amazingly enough the ABS still kicked in. Have t tried turning of key while riding yet to see if ABS kicks in or not then. But I thought if taking the juice away from the bike turns off the ABS then I should be able to install a switch to turn ABS off by taking away the power to it.
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Turn off switch for ABS in 2013 model possible?

Post by deilenberger »

That would likely work - but it would register a fault that you may need to clear in order to re-enable ABS.. one thing you might look at - the GS models have an ABS/Off switch. If you could track down which pins on the ABS/DSC module are used to accomplish this that might be a better way to go.. Of course you do stand the chance of invalidating the warranty coverage for the ABS unit this way if a dealer wanted to be picky.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
stephenmarklay
Basic User

Re: Turn off switch for ABS in 2013 model possible?

Post by stephenmarklay »

I am sure it is possible. It is fairly common practice on bikes like the Vstrom that don't have an ABS switch but riders like to venture in the dirt.
2007 R1200R
2014 F800GS
2011 TW200