Anyone replaced their tires yet?

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

rivi7777
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Anyone replaced their tires yet?

Post by rivi7777 »

Anyone replaced their tires yet or is near to it? I knew this bike was going to merciless on tires but this is almost ridiculous. My bike came shod with Bridestone BT014's. I've check the pressure frequently and run between 36/38 in front and 42/44 psi in the rear. The bike currently has 1300+ miles on the odometer and tires are noticeably worn. I'm guessing between 2000 and 2500 is all the life I'm going to get out of this set - well the rear for sure. I've had a centerstand on order for more than two weeks now, will be picking up an additional rear stand tomorrow, am still shopping for a front end stand, and have already ordered tires from swmototires. I think I'll have to start stockpiling tires (at this rate) if the new set doesn't last more than 4K miles. I decided to go with my favorite tires on the KR - Pirelli Diablos. They've served me well in the past on the Roadster and Aprilia. Never got more than 5K miles out of them though. It'll be interesting to see their longevity aboard the KR

What brand tires came on your bike and how are they holding up?

Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Post by Kevin Markwell »

I've got 1800 miles on my Bridgestone 014s and have been running 42psi rear, 36 front. It's been nice in that I haven't yet had to break out the pump to maintain those pressures. I agree that these tires are wearing much faster than the Metzler z-4s I've had on my RR the past two sets where I got about 6K miles. I'm predicting 4,000 miles for these. My RR will be my primary winter bike so I will be replacing KR tires in the Spring. What do you like about the Pirellis rivi?
A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage. --Bertrand Russell

Member #37 - Lifer
rivi7777
Basic User

Post by rivi7777 »

The confidence they instill in my limited abilities...

Jus' sticking with what I'm comfortable and familiar with Image
bmwdave52
Lifer

Post by bmwdave52 »

Rich, I believe the throttle twist and tire wear are related. :roll:

Of course it could be that this bike is so new and powerful that a good tire for it has not been made yet. :smt079
"When life throws you a curve lean into it"
Proud member since 2001; #17(Life)
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Ahhhh....just picture yourself on the contact patch of the rear tire when you grab a handfull of throttle......Ouch......isn't it fun!!!!

But that is one of the pitfalls of high horsepower bikes.....
:roll:
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
rivi7777
Basic User

Tires

Post by rivi7777 »

Standard Diablos front and rear have now been fitted. The stock Bridgestones lasted a whopping 2177 miles for the rear and 3039 miles for the front. It appears as if the rear Diablo is already half gone at 862 miles! :shock:

I was typically getting 4500 - 5500 out of these tires on both my 1150 Roadster and Aprilia Futura. My riding style certainly hasn't changed, all three bikes were of roughly of equal weight, the roads traveled generally are the same. Is horsepower alone to blame for this diminished tire life?
The KR is a tire eating machine.

Next on the menu: Pirelli Strada...
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

Rich, give a try to Pilot Roads front and rear, I have heard that they work well and give better milage.
Dean-O
Member #33
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

Rich, the Pilot Roads have just been approved for the K1200R and S by BMW.
Dean-O
Member #33
julian
Basic User

Post by julian »

The original Sportec M1 rear on the K12R gave me 4,397 miles and I have close to 2K on the Sportec replacement and it should go to 4K miles. I still have the original front tire on the bike and it looks like it will last as long as the second rear tire. These tires have performed flawlessly for me and I have confidence in them, including in rain. The front tire has about a quarter inch 'chiken strip' and the rear has none. I don't start out fast but have put plenty of constant high speed (100-125) touring miles on them. I would get between 7,500 and 9,500 miles on my previous K12RS with the mez 6 and I got 9,000 miles on the first set of Bridgestone 020 on my current K12GT.
Julian

'06 K12R
'04 K12GT