How much do the BMW hard bags affect milage?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Optimus Prime
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

How much do the BMW hard bags affect milage?

Post by Optimus Prime »

I had the two full-size bags and the Givi topcase on this Friday for a 500 mile business trip (gotta love getting paid to ride). My mileage was only about 38 mpg. It was about 75% Highway (85-90mph indicated) 25% city (stop and go up to 45 mph).

I don't always calculate my mileage, but this seems a lot lower than I usually get. What has been your experience?
MIXR
Basic User

Post by MIXR »

Optimus - Lots of variables here, but I'll give my experience over the last 30,000 km or so.

Let's start with some facts. I'm a 'heavy' rider and usually run with cases on, including a topbox. The cases are generally 'full', particularly the RH one that carries tools etc and is quite heavy. BUT - I do run with the bike 'stripped' on the occasional long day run. I have also fitted GS handguards and a small screen, all of which makes a difference.

The biggest variable is speed - I can damn near halve my fuel range on a long 'hot' run (not quite, but you know what I mean). Sustained speed way up in the rev band is bad for fuel consumption.

I have proved a number of times that my bike is actually faster (top end) with cases on than with cases off. Aerodynamics comes into play here. I also get roughly the same range either way. The weight of the cases is made up for by the improved aerodynamics when they are fitted.

Now - I'm talking about my average trips which involve long periods at around the 70-80 mph mark in your world. Hit the hills and get up into the high revs and fuel consumption will suffer, cases or not.

So - The answer is ...................... Different for every one of us I would guess!
I ride an R1150GS Adventure with sidecar. IBA #39193
BobFV1
Basic User

Post by BobFV1 »

I just finished a 2700 mile trip. I had my side cases and Givi V46 top box on my RT throughout the first 2300 miles and I averaged about 43 mpg, and today on the last leg from LA to Phoenix I ran side cases only (stashed my top box in a cage headed the same way) and went back to 50mpg, which is my typical highway mileage with side cases only.
Bob
2006 R1200GS ADV "Five Charlie"
MIXR
Basic User

Post by MIXR »

Good point about the topbox Bob - It's probably the one item that has the biggest effect, particularly when there is no pillion and you have your own body PLUS the topbox catching the breeze. All adds up to substantial aerodynamic drag, much improved by closing in the area between the rider and the box with another duffle bag or swag, or by ditching the topbox altogether.
Airman1

Mileage

Post by Airman1 »

My road mileage with full system cases and camping gear, throught the mountains long stretches of interstate run consistantly at 45-50 mpg.
I don't thing the cases make that much difference, though I rarely take the cases off anymore because they're so handy. My in-town mixed freeway / stoplight mileage runs about 38 mpg.
FGanger

Post by FGanger »

OP,
I’ve not noticed any difference at all in my milage with bags or without. What I have noticed is there are times my milage drops, as yours did, and I can’t pinpoint any particular reason for it to occur. This weekend I put on about 1000 miles, bags on and full. My milage went from 44 to 48 miles per gallon. I also was mostly in the 70-80 range. One tank, however, the milage dropped to the upper 30’s - I don’t remember the actual number; a slight shift of the wind? Who knows?

I recall BMW having some sort of warning about high speeds and bags - perhaps not to exceed 80 MPH. I never noticed one bit of difference at high speed, with or without them on. My fastest run ever on my K12 was with bags on - my GPS said 161 MPH.

Frank

Mileage or Kilometerage

Post by Guest »

I still haven't see a definitive answer to the question of whether the metric folks say "kilometerage"...And if not, why not?
MIXR
Basic User

Post by MIXR »

Hi Guest????????????

Most of us old school guys still refere to 'mileage' when talking range and distance, even with litres of fuel and kilometers (per hour) of speed or distance.

The technically correct metric way to measure 'miles per gallon' is in 'litres per hundred kilometers'. I do it - but still need to convert it back to mpg to make it mean anything useful. It's an old brain I'm using!

So ............................ We don't do 'kilometerage'. :shock:
tor1150r
Basic User

Post by tor1150r »

Never stopped to compare milage with/without luggage. My wife and I just got back from a weekend trip. Had both hard cases and a loaded Marsee rear bag (22 litre size). My wife and I are both lightweights. I can get to the 295 km mark before the fuel light comes on. So I can safely hit 330 at least before re-fuelling. Based on this, and converting to miles I am getting roughly 45 mpg with a passenger and luggage. With this load I'll cruise at 100 km/r (60 mph), and get up to 120 km/h to pass once in a while.

I expect maybe 10% better milage riding solo, but then again I'll ride a little more aggressive while solo, so I suspect I'd notice little difference between both scenarios.
Either way these bikes are capable of getting excellent milage.
07 R12GS - Granite
04 R1150R - Black (sold)
Member #468