Delayed Start-Up Proceedure

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Delayed Start-Up Proceedure

Post by MTBeemer »

Recently my 2008 R12R (38,000 miles) has begun an odd behavior when I turn the key. On some occasions there is up to a 1 to 2 second delay in the computer or any other instrument lighting up and initiating the start-up procedure. The delay seems to be more likely to take place if the bike has been sitting for a day or so. The subsequent start-ups are back to normal. The bike has had the EWS ring replaced. I'm inclined to believe that this may be a problem with some sort of gunk in the ignition switch that is causing a mechanical hesitation in a contact being made, rather than an electrical fault. Agree... disagree? Smarter ideas? How do I clean the ignition assembly if that is the problem?
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Re: Delayed Start-Up Proceedure

Post by Bob Ain't Stoppin' »

Kevin, I agree with your idea about a poor electrical connection. But suggest you start with the easier things to reach. Clean up and tighten the battery connections, and grounds etc. If that doesn't have any change, then you can proceed to the harder items. Also, some snooping with the volt meter might be of help.
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

Bob, I think you have misunderstood me. I think it is a mechanical problem with the ignition switch and not an electrical issue. That may be more of a hope than a well thought out idea. However, there is nothing to lose by checking out the things you mentioned.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
P_Jensen
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1130

Post by P_Jensen »

On my 2014 there is a slight delay (1-2 sec) after turning the key to on before the instruments and warning lights go through the self-check. Has done it since i picked it up in May, being used to waiting for the ABS self-check on the R1150R I did not give it a second thought. May just be a delay as the computer comes out of sleep mode. I have noticed that there seems to be a much lower drain rate on the battery, on the 1200R when I connect it to the battery tender once every week or two to top up the battery it does it in less than 15 mins (Bike is not allways used daily, lots of business travel). On the the R1150R it would take an hour or more to get steady green on the battery tender, the original gel battery lasted 7 seasons and the replacement Shorai was the same.
P Jensen
14 R1200R
Montego Blue
NW VT USA
MollyD
Basic User

Post by MollyD »

2009 R1200R, Over the last year my instrument panel / display will come on as soon as I turn the key, it may take a couple of seconds, it may take 5 seconds and a couple of times today (first ride of the year) it would not come on at all until I turn the key a few times. Any tips would certainly be appreciated..