Tire pressure for Z6

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Momo
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Tire pressure for Z6

Post by Momo »

I looked at one o the old posting about tire pressure. Most o you agreed that 36 front and 40 rear is a good start.
The BMW manual shows 32 PSI front and 37 PSI rear or solo riding and 36 PSI ront and 40 PSI rear for riding with passanger.
What should be the the tire pressure for solo rider on a sporty mode...
Momo
Momo1970
BobFV1
Basic User

Post by BobFV1 »

I run 40/42 most all the time and I do my share of sporty riding.
Bob
2006 R1200GS ADV "Five Charlie"
tor1150r
Basic User

Post by tor1150r »

OK..so I am stil running on my MEZ4's. Will have the Z6's mounted shortly.

For what it's worth, I run my Z4's at the BMW recommended pressure for 2-up riding. In this case that's 36 front/39 rear (increase rear to 41 with luggage). My wife rides pilion quite a bit, but not always. Nonetheless I keep the pressures at the 2-up settings always. As a result I have gotten excellent milage (22k kms) on this set while still getting excellent traction riding solo and taking the twisties. The tire has also worn very well/evenly (although it is squaring off right now due to the milage).

I know your question was for Z6's, but thought I ring in my 2 cents worth about my experience using the BMW recommended settings for a given tire.
07 R12GS - Granite
04 R1150R - Black (sold)
Member #468
FGanger

Post by FGanger »

Momo,

I recall that BMW (and others) consider the average person to weigh 160 lbs. So I imagine some thought needs to be given to your weight. If you weigh as much as Big Papa or our Patrick, up the pressure.

Also, I’ve never felt the need to change tire pressure according to the brand of rubber. Perhaps I should, I don’t know. :roll:

Most of the hot shoes I know run pressure similar to Bob, perhaps a few pounds less in front. I generally run (according to my tire gauge) what looks to be about 38/39 in the front and about 42 in the back. I up the pressure a couple of pounds when I’m towing my pop-up camper.

I would not get real paranoid about having the exact, perfect tire pressure for your machine. There are too many other variables to mess up one: the ambient temperature, the humidly, the barometric pressure and of course what phase the moon is in.:lol:

But really, a couple of pounds more or less will not make much of a difference. I think one can make more of a difference by checking their tires regularly, when they are cold. I would also recommend using a good quality electronic tire pressure gauge.:D

Frank
Leno

Post by Leno »

I run 38f - 40r seems to work fine for me. I'm not heavy but any lower and I don't like the feel.
Momo
Basic User

Post by Momo »

My weight is 165 lb, and actually this Sunday i tried the 36 front and 39 rear. On the higheways it feels good and the millage per gallon is better. I remember that the bike was pretty jumpy on bumpy roads with more than 36 PSI on the front.
Momo1970
mistercindy

Post by mistercindy »

I'm a KISS fan: 40 for front and back.
'05 R1200GS
Once owner of an '03 R1150R
Member #333 (cool number!)