Recall

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Andrew s
Basic User

Recall

Post by Andrew s »

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Recall

Post by riceburner »

The wheel flange??

Just trying to figure out which part that is and how it's replaceable without replacing the entire rear wheel.
Or is it just part of the brake disc itself??
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Andrew s
Basic User

Post by Andrew s »

I find it strange as they mention bikes from 11/03 to 2011.

The R and the K changed completely in that time as regards drive train and engines with the new R1200 and new K1200 inline 4.
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

That is odd as the disc is bolted straight onto the wheel and except for the ABS models which have a speed ring between the disc and the wheel. I rarely use the rear brake but because of the high mileage I have on mine I will look it over very closely.
I have received no notice from BMW.

There is however a "spacer" used on the ABS equipped moto's that could be called a flange by BMW/ It off sets the wheel a bit to accommodate the speed ring sensor. I believe its aluminum. My machine does not have ABS so no spacer/flange.

mike
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Andrew s wrote:I find it strange as they mention bikes from 11/03 to 2011.

The R and the K changed completely in that time as regards drive train and engines with the new R1200 and new K1200 inline 4.
If it's a flaw in the design of the ABS spacer ring (as kirby theorised) then that part could be used on virtually any bike right up to now. Nothing to do with any other part of the bike.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
kirby

Post by kirby »

riceburner wrote:
Andrew s wrote:I find it strange as they mention bikes from 11/03 to 2011.

If it's a flaw in the design of the ABS spacer ring (as kirby theorised) then that part could be used on virtually any bike right up to now. Nothing to do with any other part of the bike.
No they have a big change in '11.

The only thing removable that has anything to do with the wheel hub is the spacer that off sets the wheel for the ABS sensor. I have seen them and they are around 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick?? Non ABS does not have this spacer. I think that this spacer is used on R and K and is the same until they changed to the new rear drive back in '11. Maybe they replace with a different thickness?? Heavy use of the rear? could heat up the wheel and cause it to warp the wheel just enough to crack it.. I can sort of see how that might cause a problem???

Your supposed to use thread locker 'cause the torque is only 21 Nm and not that tight. I could see how someone could over tighten them and also tighten un even without the use of the torque wrench.

mike
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Is it accurate to say that non-ABS models will not be affected by this recall?
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
vwdoctor
Basic User

Post by vwdoctor »

Recall does not apply to oilheads at all, only hexheads. The production range given is a timeframe during which R1200xx hexheads and affected K bikes were made. Flange on the oilheads is completely different and the disk is bolted to the wheel.
04 Rockster (non ABS, single spark)
91 K75RT

I want to be unique, just like everybody else.
kirby

Post by kirby »

vwdoctor wrote:Recall does not apply to oilheads at all, only hexheads. The production range given is a timeframe during which R1200xx hexheads and affected K bikes were made. Flange on the oilheads is completely different and the disk is bolted to the wheel.

That was the confusion, the dates in the visordown article were from 11-'03 to '11. The 1200 did not come to market till '06 and as pointed out is total different rear drive than the 1150.

mike
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

Maybe it starts with the R1200C....
Buckster '03R
kirby

Post by kirby »

Buckster wrote:Maybe it starts with the R1200C....

Good point but the 1200C was introduced in '97-'04 with 2 engine sizes for some years, a bunch were made.

mike
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
jobooth321
Basic User

Post by jobooth321 »

Just called the shop and they won't know anything about it or start recalling until April.
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels." Groucho Marx
vwdoctor
Basic User

Post by vwdoctor »

R1200C has the almost same mechanicals as the rest of the oilheads (subtle changes). I would say that 2004 range probably refers to the first introduced bike with that flange, which is probably the K. I don't know anything about the new K's (non flying bricks) but that is the most likely answer.
04 Rockster (non ABS, single spark)
91 K75RT

I want to be unique, just like everybody else.
P_Jensen
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1130

Post by P_Jensen »

The first of the Hexheads was the 2005 R1200GS, could be that production started in 11/03 with them being "early" 2005's available sometime in the spring of 2004. Just as the upcomming R1200 RS and S1000 XR are both 2016 models and will be available during or after the second quarter of 2015.
P Jensen
14 R1200R
Montego Blue
NW VT USA
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

It's 2003 as first full production year.

BMW fiche is good reference for data like manufacture date of the first Hexhead, the subject of recall.

Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

The original German annoucement with its illustration appears here:-
the notice actually quotes the German word "Rückruf" - literally "call-back" taken from this source:--

http://www.motorradonline.de/motorradbr ... 011/647996

And that's the first time ever that the lofty-minded know-all Krauts in the BMW PRess Office have EVER used the word that can be roughly translated into English as "recall" - although in their English-language announcements they still continue to refrain from using the actual word Recall.

AL in s.e. Spain
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

And for those of you who perhaps don't read German, here's basically what the report says...

"It's possible that the star-shaped wheel carrier on the swing-arm of certain R and K series BMW bikes can fail, so the company is currently launching a recall programme for no less than 367 thousand machines to be returned to dealers in worldwide markets for a replacement part.

The carrier is identified by the five attachment bolt holes for the rear wheel on one side and the brake disk carrier on the other.

Affected machines are those built between November 2003 and April 2011. In Germany this amounts to around 81,000 vehicles. Owners will be informed directly in writing by BMW. The German Federal Vehicle Office has published this recall programme under reference nimber 4820. The BMW Customer Service Hotline in Germany is also referenced in that data bank.

As the possible cause of the problem BMW suggests “inadvised maintenance procedures”, perhaps when BMW riders re-fix the wheel bolts after a tyre or wheel change to an excessively high torque setting. The affected wheel carrier disc is to be replaced by a so-called 'more robust item'. BMW says an accident has already occurred in Spain due to the failure of the original item which had been overtightened. Rider and pillion were only slightly hurt."

It wasn't me - AL in S.e. Spain
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
hardyt
Basic User

Post by hardyt »

Does anyone know if this applies to Rocksters?
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

hardyt wrote:Does anyone know if this applies to Rocksters?

No - it's the Hexhead R-series (and similar age K-series) only.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life