Synthetic oil

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

rdriver
Basic User

Synthetic oil

Post by rdriver »

Hi All,

New to this forum.

Just wanted to know what type of final drive and tranny oil is being used in the R1100R? Dealer says they have been using 75w-140 synthetic.

Not what the book calls out for? The book says either 80 or 90 or 80w-90 Hypoid gear oil depends on where you live. So the question is: can this rig successsfully use synthetic oil without causing leaks? IMO the answer is no, but would like to hear other opinions. My rig has 50k on it. I found that the last time it was serviced I did notice that they used 80w-90. But....... the dealer says 75w140? What the heck? :?
boxermoose
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Synthetic oil

Post by boxermoose »

rdriver wrote:Hi All,

oh no...not an oil thread :lol:

New to this forum.

Just wanted to know what type of final drive and tranny oil is being used in the R1100R? Dealer says they have been using 75w-140 synthetic.

Not what the book calls out for? The book says either 80 or 90 or 80w-90 Hypoid gear oil depends on where you live. So the question is: can this rig successsfully use synthetic oil without causing leaks? IMO the answer is no, but would like to hear other opinions. My rig has 50k on it. I found that the last time it was serviced I did notice that they used 80w-90. But....... the dealer says 75w140? What the heck? :?
Think of dino 80W90 as minimum spec

the 75W140 is a very common sub IMO I'd not worry about it.

The leaking with synthetics goes back many years - they added the aromics to synthetic, keep the seals swelled (as with dino oil), a long time ago
TANSTAAFL
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Synthetic oil

Post by gregor »

As long as the grade includes GL5 spec than you should be OK. I use mineral 80/90 at the moment but will probably try synth the next time as that clunk is getting too embarrassing at traffic lights.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin