Where did the oil go?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

georgek
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1000

Where did the oil go?

Post by georgek »

My oil (idiot) light is on. I see there is no oil in the sight glass. I put more oil in, and i eventually get a full oil change.
The next day, the oil is not in the sight glass again, and the oil light is on again. Mechanic put in a new switch - i believe for
sending the oil - and it worked that day. I rode around a little. Next time i go to ride, i have both again - oil light is on, and
i can't see any oil in the sight glass. There are no leaks. I don't see any oil anywhere, and I don't believe it's burning any. I had
only ridden it a little. Where could the oil be going? Has anyone had this issue and no what it is? I shouldn't be running it,
but it runs fine. Thanks.
2002 R1150R black
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Where did the oil go?

Post by riceburner »

Check the clutch area.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

If it's cold out, then the oil is probably stuck up in the oil coils.
Buckster '03R
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

The window gives false readings. I'd drain the oil out change the filter and put in the 3.9 qts. to know where I'm at (Do an oil change). Then figure out why the light is coming on, checking all the wiring for a pinched grounded out wire. Something has to be wrong with the circuit including the sending unit being suspect. Maybe even a corroded fuse?
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

+ 1 on the sight glass misleading sometimes. Warm bike on the centerstand is the best way to check it,

My guess would be a faulty oil pressure switch.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
georgek
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1000

Post by georgek »

the answer is i'm an idiot. the oil is there.
2002 R1150R black
Buckeye Beemer
Lifer

Post by Buckeye Beemer »

georgek wrote:the answer is i'm an idiot. the oil is there.
Been there too!

Buckeye Beemer
86 K100RS
93 K1100RS
04 R1150R
BMW MOA 123254
P_Jensen
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1130

Post by P_Jensen »

Check the oil upon arrival (hot oil), 5 mins or less on sidestand, then centerstand looking for the oil to be >= 1/2 and < full in the sight glass. Checking before departure (cold oil), tends to give false readings. Overfilling contributes to oil usage.
P Jensen
14 R1200R
Montego Blue
NW VT USA
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

I tend to check the oil after AT LEAST a 20 minute ride.

Running the bike for more than a couple of minutes on the stand isn't the best idea as things can get overheated quite easily on an air-cooled engine, and you need to ensure the oil is properly up to temperature.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

P_Jensen wrote:Check the oil upon arrival (hot oil), 5 mins or less on sidestand, then centerstand looking for the oil to be >= 1/2 and < full in the sight glass. Checking before departure (cold oil), tends to give false readings. Overfilling contributes to oil usage.
Please explain why? If the oil level is OK hot, why should it subsequently change when it cools down?

I do understand a first time cold reading after an oil change will not be correct because the oil coolers may not have filled up or drained down.

I have read this topic so many times my head hurts. :cry:
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
Keppelj
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Keppelj »

I'd quit thinking about this. My "02 is my third oil head, lots of miles. I fill it properly, keep an eye on the overall condition of the engine, change oil at 3K. Generally I find that if I ride long enough to get the engine up to temperature and burn off condensation (at least 25 miles), put the bike on it's center stand for a while and then take a look at the sight glass it will read properly.
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

Into the engine today. Warmed the bike up with a 20 mile run at 10°C ambient in the rain. Wearing rubber gloves I controlled the oil flow into my tray.
I'm sure I put enough oil back in (3.5 l or so at least) but I guess some is now lurking in the oil coolers with the thermostat closed in the cool weather. Done this job often enough but still is a novelty.
Just need some warm weather but in the UK you never know when. 8)
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

If the engine is not up to operating temp the oil cooler thermostats will trap oil in the coolers and the lines. Its enough oil to cause the oil in the sight glass to disappear.
So if you do an oil change (engine hot so as to drain all the cooler oil) and put in the required amount in and run the engine to check for leaks the sight glass will give a false reading. Just put in the required amount and don't worry about it and check it on the center stand after you have a good ride and the engine is still hot to get a correct reading.
These engines do NOT respond to over fill and it WILL cause problems if you do overfill.

mike
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER