Windshields for 2015 R1200R

Ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new 2015 r12r lc. R1200RS info goes in here too!

Moderator: Moderators

Lobby
Basic User

Windshields for 2015 R1200R

Post by Lobby »

Man, I hadn't logged in here since I sold my 1150R about 10 years ago. Good to be back.

I just got a 2015 1200R. Love it so far. But I'll be doing some long distance touring on it, and am looking for windscreens. So far all I've found is BMW's offerings.

Local dealer just priced the touring (tall) screen at about $500. :roll: Is that right?

Are there any other options out there?
SL
Basic User

Re: Windshields for 2015 R1200R

Post by SL »

Where are you ??
SL
Basic User

Post by SL »

The reason I ask is because Parabellum is NOT making a fairing for the 2015 R , but they do need a 2015 in their shop to fit a windshield to it .
http://parabellum.com/
They told me this . If you are in their area or want to make a trip to their shop for , maybe , a free or discounted shield for your R , call 'em
Bill Stevenson
Lifer
Donating Member #: 701

Post by Bill Stevenson »

I have the "tall" windscreen from BMW, it cost slightly under $500 added to the price of the new bike. It works quite well for me and is functionally quite similar to the "tall" BMW screen that was mounted on my 2008 model. "Tall" in this case is sort of a joke, who said Germans have no sense of humor? I live in hot South Florida, though, where a small windscreen that takes the pressure off my chest, but leaves my helmeted head in clean air is perfect. If I lived where it is colder, wetter, or I was going on a long tour, more fairing would be desirable.
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

Bill Stevenson wrote:I have the "tall" windscreen from BMW, it cost slightly under $500 added to the price of the new bike. It works quite well for me and is functionally quite similar to the "tall" BMW screen that was mounted on my 2008 model. "Tall" in this case is sort of a joke, who said Germans have no sense of humor? I live in hot South Florida, though, where a small windscreen that takes the pressure off my chest, but leaves my helmeted head in clean air is perfect. If I lived where it is colder, wetter, or I was going on a long tour, more fairing would be desirable.
With a full face helmet I find the clean air fine with the BMW touring "tall" screen. I live in NY.
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Bill Stevenson wrote:I have the "tall" windscreen from BMW, it cost slightly under $500 added to the price of the new bike. It works quite well for me and is functionally quite similar to the "tall" BMW screen that was mounted on my 2008 model. "Tall" in this case is sort of a joke, who said Germans have no sense of humor? I live in hot South Florida, though, where a small windscreen that takes the pressure off my chest, but leaves my helmeted head in clean air is perfect. If I lived where it is colder, wetter, or I was going on a long tour, more fairing would be desirable.
Bill,

I kind of thought the same - hence the CeeBailey on my '07, but the rental R12R's we used on the euro trip last fall only had the tiny sport screen, and despite some days of crappy weather, and high-speed travel on the AutoBahn under poor weather conditions, I rather came to like the small screen and the air. If I didn't have my GPS mounted to the touring bracket on my bike, for the summer I'd be very tempted to go back to the small sport screen...
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Bill Stevenson
Lifer

Post by Bill Stevenson »

Catchina wrote:With a full face helmet I find the clean air fine with the BMW touring "tall" screen. I live in NY.
I still have a very lightly used full face helmet in my arsenal, but find them unbearably hot down here. I use an open face Arai and try really, really hard to avoid face plants. When I lived in the Great North, however, like you I preferred a full faced helmet. Riding in hot, humid conditions requires a set of very real compromises to manage the risk. I use perforated jacket, boots, and gloves for example. No way are these as sturdy as the best equipment, but the possibility of heat exhaustion or worse cannot be ignored.

Bill
Bill Stevenson
Lifer

Post by Bill Stevenson »

"I kind of thought the same - hence the CeeBailey on my '07, but the rental R12R's we used on the euro trip last fall only had the tiny sport screen, and despite some days of crappy weather, and high-speed travel on the AutoBahn under poor weather conditions, I rather came to like the small screen and the air. If I didn't have my GPS mounted to the touring bracket on my bike, for the summer I'd be very tempted to go back to the small sport screen..."

Don,

For the first week that I had the new bike, I rode it with no screen, no luggage, no tank bag. That was no fun. These things really are important to me. The small screens from Germany really are amazingly effective. I can ride one handed at high speed if I want to rest one hand on my hip, something I do occasionally. And in hot weather the air they let pass is very important, a fact that I am reminded of at every stop light. In South Florida no air flow on a hot day = cooked rider. Now I want your opinion of GPS on the bike. I have never used one on a bike. How do you like it? My new RR is all wired and has the receiver mount for the BMW unit. Another $799 though. What is your opinion?

Thanks,

Bill
cug
Basic User

Post by cug »

I like my Nav V. Not the greatest GPS in the world, but I like the integration with the GS (haven't tried it on the R).
Lobby
Basic User

Post by Lobby »

SL wrote:Where are you ??

I'm in San Antonio.

Sorry about the slow response. I don't yet have email notifications setup...
Lobby
Basic User

Post by Lobby »

Are you folks with the "tall" BMW windshield experiencing that high beam reflectance problem that many on the net are complaining about?
Bill Stevenson
Lifer

Post by Bill Stevenson »

Lobby wrote:Are you folks with the "tall" BMW windshield experiencing that high beam reflectance problem that many on the net are complaining about?
I am not experiencing that problem.
SL
Basic User

Post by SL »

The reason I ask is because Parabellum is NOT making a fairing for the 2015 R , but they do need a 2015 in their shop to fit a windshield to it .
http://parabellum.com/
They told me this . If you are in their area or want to make a trip to their shop for , maybe , a free or discounted shield for your R , call 'em