Oil Consumption

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

jobooth321
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Oil Consumption

Post by jobooth321 »

How much oil does your boxer use monthly?
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels." Groucho Marx
Andrew s
Basic User

Re: Oil Consumption

Post by Andrew s »

It's dependant on a lot of factors, monthly mileage, how it's ridden and the mileage of the bike.

Best thing is to keep an eye on it.
nadroba
Basic User

Post by nadroba »

Service manual says no more than 1L per 1000km or 1Qt per 600 miles.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

I think I go through about a litre, mayby 1.5lt every 6000miles. (ie between services).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
trickytree
Donating Member #: 1159

Post by trickytree »

I used to use about a litre when using dinosaur oil but since going to synthetic it hardly uses any.
I never realised until it was pointed out to me that my bike never actually burnt the oil, it's just that the dino oil evaporated inside the motor. The fully synthetic I use now has a much greater tolerance to high temperatures. Wether any of this is actually true or not I don't know, but I do know I use less for topping up now.
ericatcse
Basic User

Post by ericatcse »

My Rockster seems to use oil in line with what Riceburner gets it was a bit of a shock after so many jap bikes that used very little!
dustburm
Basic User

Post by dustburm »

I use a minimum of a synthetic quart in 3000 miles. Usually more, RARELY less. It seems to vary. Actually my feral cats are more predictable than oil loss. On a totally unrelated topic, this weekend I checked the air in my tires for the first time since Xmas. I like them at 40lbs and not 'squirmy'. They were at 30. The bike doesn't seem to 'set' going into corners when they are low. I didn't really have the winter doldrums, just low tires. I'm cured.

Dusty Burman
80 or more degrees, Phoenix.
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

I am surprised about the posted consumptions.
I have (as I have posted before so forgive me) over 200K on my Rock and between oil changes (roughly 6000 mi depending the type of riding) I rarely have to add any!
Are you guys sure your checking the level properly? If you put too much in it will blow it out into the air box mostly.
My apologies again but if you change the oil and fill to the middle of the see thru port and then start the engine the level will drop out of sight because of the coolers filling up. If you come in from a ride it is quite possible that the thermostats for the coolers are closed and trapping a bunch of oil that will probably result in the sight port showing a low level. Don't add any until your sure that the coolers have drained.
Drain the air box. There is a plug on the left side rear corner.
If the machine is not smoking or leaking then the level at the change will probably be stable. Mine still has 160 psi a side on a compression check.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

kirby wrote:I am surprised about the posted consumptions.
I have (as I have posted before so forgive me) over 200K on my Rock and between oil changes (roughly 6000 mi depending the type of riding) I rarely have to add any!
Are you guys sure your checking the level properly? If you put too much in it will blow it out into the air box mostly.
My apologies again but if you change the oil and fill to the middle of the see thru port and then start the engine the level will drop out of sight because of the coolers filling up. If you come in from a ride it is quite possible that the thermostats for the coolers are closed and trapping a bunch of oil that will probably result in the sight port showing a low level. Don't add any until your sure that the coolers have drained.
Drain the air box. There is a plug on the left side rear corner.
If the machine is not smoking or leaking then the level at the change will probably be stable. Mine still has 160 psi a side on a compression check.

I check mine after a good long ride, leave it on the sidestand while I get helmet gloves etc off, then put it on centre stand, potter for a minute or two (carefully wiping the sight glass clean without burning myself can take a moment or two!!) THEN check the level.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
dustburm
Basic User

Post by dustburm »

Oil check ritual. Put on side stand, if arriving. Put on center stand after 10 minutes or more. I check every 10 to 14 days during regular 19 mile daily commutes. This allows for the mystic oilhead oil level variances. I track the oil down until it's at the bottom of the window or below. I fill to the center circle. I confess I don't keep the bike on the center stand so every now and then I have the blue cloud on startup. I assume that those who use the side stand occasionally (one a month?) have the blue cloud? Or not.

Dusty Burman
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

dustburm wrote:Oil check ritual. Put on side stand, if arriving. Put on center stand after 10 minutes or more. I check every 10 to 14 days during regular 19 mile daily commutes. This allows for the mystic oilhead oil level variances. I track the oil down until it's at the bottom of the window or below. I fill to the center circle. I confess I don't keep the bike on the center stand so every now and then I have the blue cloud on startup. I assume that those who use the side stand occasionally (one a month?) have the blue cloud? Or not.

Dusty Burman

My bikes been sitting on the sidestand overnight for a couple of days, and to be honest, I've not noticed a blue smoke screen in the morning.... will have to remember to look on Monday....
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

Physically how you check the oil is not my point.

I always and every one should change the oil with the engine hot enough that the coolers and pluming drain as well as the crank case so that you get it all out.
When you refill to the desired level on the sight glass,(I usually fill the filter before installation and then fill to the top 2/3 of the glass. When you first start the engine it will fill the coolers (still hot most likely) and a bit will(in my case) fill the filter so the level will drop to the very bottom or completely out of sight.
During the winter or ridding in cold climites the coolers may not receive oil as the thermostats will not open thus trapping oil in the cooling system which will most likely show the level at the bottom of the glass.
Don't add oil unless you are pretty sure that the thermostats are open and the coolers are empty or you will be over filling . These engines do not like to be overfilled and will blow the oil thru the vent system or past the seals.
If you do not have a leak and the engine has no symptoms of burning oil then do not add oil.
If on the center stand and no oil is showing put the side stand down and let it lean and look at it. If its completely full at the sight glass you probably not low on oil!
I have said enough on this "sigh" but I have seen many BMW riders over fill their machines over the years.
Just a word to the wise..IMHO
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER