shout out for getting naked

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

sstein
Donating Member #: 25

shout out for getting naked

Post by sstein »

Just wanted to say that after tweaking this and that, I decided to remove the bar backs, remove the shield and return this naked bike to its b-day suit. The handling is SOOO much better and the wind turbulence/buffeting is so much less. A real pleasure to ride. I highly recommend it.

Just sayin'.
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Re: shout out for getting naked

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

I've never been much of a fan of fairings, but then, I don't do any long trips with my bikes either .
My '81 R65 came with a Vetter fairing from the dealer, took me 2 weeks decide that I wanted to remove it .
My R65LS's and the '87 Moto Guzzi have small bikini fairings, those I have no problem with .
I bet in rain and cold weather fairings are quite useful, but living in a low desert, I don't get that much inclement weather conditions .
Hot airflow is better than no airflow when the air temps are 105-110 F for 6 months of the year !!! :D
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
windy
Basic User

Post by windy »

I too tried this last october. I removed the touring shield and barbacks and found while the ride was airy and alot of fun , it was also tireing . The 550 mile ride home to north Georgia from Daytona is a ride I will not do again without barbacks and a screen . The sport screen is on now ,and I plan to use it for my ride to the BMWRA rally in Harrison,AR this fall.
sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Post by sstein »

Yes, the fatigue factor is the caveat. I hold on to the dream of X-country ride from RI to visit a friend in LA. Yes, I'd probably get that MRA vario screen and bar backs on...
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Have done SS1000 and BB1500 iron butt rides on naked R1150R, and despite the occasional headwind battle, wouldn't ride any other way.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

I like having my little flyscreen, and the small barbacks I have help with my bad back.

This appears to be the only photo I've got that shows them both!

Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

windy wrote: I plan to use it for my ride to the BMWRA rally in Harrison,AR this fall.
Make sure you get a group shot in front of the white people's radio sign LOL. I wanted to on my way through last month...but the rain ate my phone. and honestly...it creeped me out a lil' bit.

I kid...

HWY 65 is a nice ride!
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
ralphyimages
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by ralphyimages »

One word in defence of having a screen fitted: rain.

That is all.

;-)

R
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by gregor »

Using the little BMW sport screen is as naked as I want to go. As said, fatigue is the main problem on a big naked bike. The little screen takes some of the pressure off with standard bars and my new hand protectors will also help as well. I did ride an R1150RS for a day and the aerodynamics were superb.Not sure how well I could bear the leaning forward position at lower speeds. A real ' bahnstormer' to quote LJKS.
Last edited by gregor on Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
trickytree
Donating Member #: 1159

Post by trickytree »

A sleeping bag strapped to the handlebars of my Harley makes a huge differance although I rarely ride at high speed anymore.....speed cameras and traffic volume has made me use far more minor roads, and riding pleasure has increased considerably as a result.
I'll have a small fly screen and hand guards on the Rockster when I dump the Gimbel fairing and that'll do me fine.