Rattle in right cylinder

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Rattle in right cylinder

Post by deilenberger »

hjsbmw wrote:
MrPMS wrote:Sadly the motor is trashed. Right side rod bearing plus who knows what else...
Wow, I would not have thought that something like this can happen so quickly, i.e. from 5-10 seconds of the bike running on its side. Best of luck with the replacement / repair / etc.!
It's one of those things that leaves me scratching my head - why BMW couldn't engineer (or borrow from the car division) a turnover sensor that shuts the engine down. It might be a case of lawyers deciding having power even on it's side is better then not having power.

I do try to mitigate the possibility of this sort of damage by using a good quality full-synthetic, that has a good extreme pressure additive package. That's the package that is designed to protect wear surfaces when the oil wedge goes away due to loss of oil pressure.

IIRC - the original post said something about it going partly upside down - yup: "rotating all the way to past horizontal." Worst case scenario, especially with the engine racing.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!