Goin' Öhlins

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

trickytree
Donating Member #: 1159

Goin' Öhlins

Post by trickytree »

Picked up a GS Shock off eBay the other day, in need of a rebuild which is fine as it's obviously too long as it is. Ohlins say it should be 383mm long and that's what it is, bang on.
I'll pop it on the bike sometime and measure exactly how much it raises the rear end and take it from there. Interestingly the factory low option rear shock is 375mm long, just about perfect for a Rockster I would guess....no good on its own as spring rate (and doubtless damping) is too soft.
Aim is to raise the bike about 2 inches both ends and soften the spring rate slightly as some of the back roads we go on can get a bit exciting. That amount of extra length will then allow me to tuck the centre stand away properly and I'll have my ground clearance back again.

Not sure what to do with the front yet, I've got a cheap GS Adventure shock just to tryout and see how much it raises the front. Much of the extra GS travel seems to come from different wishbone and forks....not just the shock itself unlike the rear. Will probably have to go new, although Nitron is a slightly cheaper option with the very useful feature of having spring preload adjustment on the bottom of the unit where it's easy to get too. Brake lines will doubtless need replacing as well which is a pain as the Rockster has decent braided ones as standard.
Last edited by trickytree on Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Goin' Öhlins

Post by sweatmark »

FWIW, my Rockster suspension setup includes

Ohlins R1150R Roadster front shock (longer that Rockster spec);
Ohlins Rockster spec rear shock, length extended 5mm via screw adjuster;
GS Paralever strut rod link thing.

Front and rear have been raised as result. Rear tire remains in ground contact when centerstand (R1150R part) is deployed, which is sometimes very inconvenient. Bike handling is a little twitchy compared to stock but I like it despite losing no-hands stability.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

I have had the ohlin shocks for about 150K miles. I liked the stock shock but not rebuildable and since I was going (and have) keep the Rockster for long term I went ahead to the ohlin set up. I have stock parts otherwise (stock geometry) and has not effected the stability (hands off included).

The real advantage is the rebuildable part once you get the rebound sorted on the front they are smooth. I have them rebuilt about ever 30 to 40 thousand miles for about $400. Probably could go longer but I am pretty sensitive to the suspension performance.

Good investment to those on the long haul of the ownership.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
trickytree
Donating Member #: 1159

Post by trickytree »

Well, that's a turn up for the books.....just scored a brand new boxed pair of Rockster spec Öhlins for all but half the price of new. Chap on the UKGSer forum is selling his Rockster and he also had these shocks that he never got round to fitting and he was willing to sell them on there own.
I'll extend the front as far as possible and I've already got a shorter rear torque arm so that will give me some more ground clearance.....as for the centre stand hitting the GS footrest bracket I think between the longer suspension and a bit of grinding and bending I'll be able to tuck the stand back out of harms way.
Hoping to get this work done within the next 6 weeks or so.....long rides and camping weekends keep getting in the way!
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Congrats on the Ohlins.

FWIW: http://www.vesware.com/OhlinsOnRockster ... ckster.htm

Wonder what original board member Ves is up to? Another trackday-riding Rockster owner.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)