Pilot 4 spun from pure gold?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

peels
Basic User

Pilot 4 spun from pure gold?

Post by peels »

I have a curiosity

while I have my bike apart for the trans seals. noticed another cord peeking through the rear. 6000 on the contimotions. so I started looking around. most local places don't have the 170 60 17. Luckily, the place I had mount the set I ordered online last year, HAD ONE! and mounted for $146. That's not bad.

BUT...I'm not totally pleased with the wear from the conti. not a bad price, and ok performance, I want more miles per dollar. so I called around some more. Harley shop too busy to help me... Last call was to BMW shop, Iowa city. an extra 40 minutes away... $336 for Pilot 4 JUST THE REAR!!! plus pay extra for weights. note: their cheapest option was $276 for Metz 880's.

is there ANY tire thats REALLY that good, that they'll triple the mileage+? also, who pays that for a tire?! doctors with more money than time I presume? absolutely ridiculous. lol. I would consider paying 200 maybe if it lasts 12k+. 2 seasons for me- I see the PIlot 4's online for 180. otherwise, to me, regular tires aren't any worse. this is a pet peeve of mine. Tires are a "wear item" unless they "wear" better, there is absolutely no reason (for me) to pay a premium. This goes for my cars too. yes i understand there are only 2 tires vs 4 for a car...

ANyhoo Pilot 4's who has them, and how much slab mileage are you getting? Or is there another tire better for the 1150r and straightline riding., and if they ARE that good, I'm going to buy a set and have them ready for next time. :)

thanks all.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: Pilot 4 spun from pure gold?

Post by towerworker »

I'm not an aggressive rider (bones don't heal like they used to plus it just plain hurts!). I started mounting my own tires probably 10+ years ago because I'm tight. I started buying Shinko Raven 009 tires off of Amazon. The reviews were good and the prices were even better.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... +raven+009

I think I've been paying around $100 for the rear (shipped) and $65-70 for the front. I've been getting 6000 to 8000 miles out of the rear and 10K+ on the front.

Performance is fine for me and quality is good.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
motorcycle_monkey
Basic User

Post by motorcycle_monkey »

I was running Shinkos (230 series) on my R1200C for the last year before I sold it. Rode the Black Hills fairly aggressively (which isn't my norm) and they stuck great!
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

I don't know if you have any local independent bike shops that will mount and balance tires, but you can usually get some great deals on tires online .

This is a business that is local to me, in the Phoenix area, I've done business with them for about 8 years .

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/

Also, Bike Bandit is another online motorcycle parts business .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

Ridiculous price. :shock:

I can buy the PR4 170/60 R17 in the "expensive" Netherlands at a starting price of $ 130. :lol:
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Cycle Gear: $204.99 for Pilot Road 4 rear.
And mounting in house is cheap, as I don't have the DIY rig.

I'm going PR4s on my F800.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

thanks for the replies!

Towerworker, shinkos on my list! IM a huge tightwad. But, I wanted to get them quick, since my bike is already torn down. In my area, this kind of work is hard to come by. Its Not very populated. Many places wont mount them unless you buy them. And if I DID buy them there they had to order them too-which defeated the purpose :cry:

Was looking online again, went to bikebandit, because I got a 10% discount since I just bought my trans seals.... but... after getting them and paying 35 bucks for mounting. not worth the wait. Ill save the coupon for something cool, or when I need both tires next time. :)

last year, I had a credit in paypal so I ebay purchased that conti set when they went on sale. which I got for 130 altogether BOTH I think. then had to pay 70 dollars for mounting and balancing.

Im not displeased or overly joyous about the contis. they work, itll be fine. So... I made the appointment at the Kawi shop. yawn. Ill stop there later.

but yeah, 336 bucks for one tire. and he said it so seriously. L-O-L

I have asked for a tire changer and balancer for my birthday.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

sweatmark wrote:Cycle Gear: $204.99 for Pilot Road 4 rear.
And mounting in house is cheap, as I don't have the DIY rig.

I'm going PR4s on my F800.
excellent.

$189 bikebandit. with my 10% off. next time perhaps. ill just need to buy them ahead of time......

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/m ... cycle-tire
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

I've given up on Conti's pretty much. Nowhere near enough life time. Stick with Pirelli or Metzeler these days.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

I run the PR4 tires and I certainly didn't pay that much. Of course, I got them at the Honda dealer. Actually got the first one at the BMW dealer and it was reasonable also. You need to shop around! They are good tires but I get my usual 7,000 or out of them.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
Shakey
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 961

Post by Shakey »

PR4s are certainly worth a little extra but not that much!

I buy my tyres for car and bike from MyTyres.co.uk............. So naturally they come from Germany :shock:

It might be worth a look to see if they will deliver over to the USA then you just need to find a fitter.
Martin
Pas D'elle yeux rhone que nous!
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

Been running Shinkos' for years (009 raven) as good as anything out there for less than $200 a pair (170/60 120/70). Even good for a track day.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
skylarmav1
Basic User

Post by skylarmav1 »

This weekend I just put Conti's on the Blue Beakster. I couldn't believe the deal-less than $175 for both + free shipping at Moto Super Store. I know I get what I pay for so we'll try them out this year and see what happens by Oct. I'm usually good for 6k of riding during good months. I read a ton of reports outside this forum and basically got, "good tire, good price." Interesting that our group has had many issues. I'll keep you posted.

Now, let's go have a ride!
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

skylarmav1 wrote:This weekend I just put Conti's on the Blue Beakster. I couldn't believe the deal-less than $175 for both + free shipping at Moto Super Store. I know I get what I pay for so we'll try them out this year and see what happens by Oct. I'm usually good for 6k of riding during good months. I read a ton of reports outside this forum and basically got, "good tire, good price." Interesting that our group has had many issues. I'll keep you posted.

Now, let's go have a ride!

yep, thats what youll get. decent tire. Im not disappointed AT ALL... had no problems, just thought I might get "more" Like, I would conisder paying 336 bucks if it got 30,000 miles LOL. Id really like a tire that just LASTS. My kneedragging days are pretty much gone.

also, my wife did the "didnt you just buy a tire?" thing. because I doubled my normal mileage last year, and burned it up in one season. lol =D>

agreed, lets go.. 8)
skylarmav1
Basic User

Post by skylarmav1 »

Thanks Peels. Hope you get your birthday wish:-)
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

skylarmav1 wrote:Thanks Peels. Hope you get your birthday wish:-)
=D>

Yesterday I was keyboard researching tires. down to even trying a similar size, and calculating the differences in width and sidewall, even speedo error. LOL. Just to get an all-out touring tire. made me mad when My harley buddy had the same tires after 14k, and was still going. Michelin Commander. and his bike is huge lumbering beast, and he rides it like hes always running from the cops. :lol:
skylarmav1
Basic User

Post by skylarmav1 »

They do that so Harley riders have enough $$$ left over to buy all the leathers:)
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

skylarmav1 wrote:They do that so Harley riders have enough $$$ left over to buy all the leathers:)

:lol: but not quite enough for a helmet.... :)
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

Just checked Shinkos on Amazon. The shipping costs per tyre exceed the tyre cost (which is indeed cheap), so I guess they are coming from a LONG way away.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin