ISO Front Fender

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Sever N. Zagrai
Basic User

ISO Front Fender

Post by Sever N. Zagrai »

Anyone able to guide me towards purchasing an OEM Front Fiberglass Fender?. Forgot to remove my anti-theft bolt and broke it. I know they run abt $300
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: ISO Front Fender

Post by riceburner »

It's the same part as used on the R1100S so that'll help when looking at breakers stock.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Sever N. Zagrai
Basic User

Rockster's fender is different than 1100rs's. It has two fiberglass wings extending down along the forks.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Sever N. Zagrai wrote:Rockster's fender is different than 1100rs's. It has two fiberglass wings extending down along the forks.
True, though not fiberglass. But Riceburner is giving you good advice: look for a used fender from the R1100S, not an RS.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Sever N. Zagrai
Basic User

Do you have a rockster sweatmark?
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Sever N. Zagrai wrote:Rockster's fender is different than 1100rs's. It has two fiberglass wings extending down along the forks.
Yes I have a Rockster.

If you are referencing the Rockster/R1100S front fender's shape, with the full-wrap around sides, by "wings" then yes that's true.

The R11**RS front fender set includes both top portion fender, plus two plastic sections that cover the lower Telelever fork tubes. I've always liked the RS setup.

I'm not a fan of the Rockster fender because my Edn80's fender rattles when riding on rough surfaces, and so far (10 years) I haven't found a way to keep it quiet. It's also attached to the Telelever lower fork brace with a T25 screw underneath, which means you cannot remove fender easily for front wheel removal.

https://goo.gl/photos/BrXmqri8eTsHx8hk8
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

sweatmark wrote:
Yes I have a Rockster.

If you are referencing the Rockster/R1100S front fender's shape, with the full-wrap around sides, by "wings" then yes that's true.

The R11**RS front fender set includes both top portion fender, plus two plastic sections that cover the lower Telelever fork tubes. I've always liked the RS setup.

I'm not a fan of the Rockster fender because my Edn80's fender rattles when riding on rough surfaces, and so far (10 years) I haven't found a way to keep it quiet. It's also attached to the Telelever lower fork brace with a T25 screw underneath, which means you cannot remove fender easily for front wheel removal.

https://goo.gl/photos/BrXmqri8eTsHx8hk8
yeah - not sure why it rattles so much. it could be just that it's lighter construction makes more noise when hit by the small bits of detritus the tyre will fling at it when on rougher ground?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

riceburner wrote: yeah - not sure why it rattles so much. it could be just that it's lighter construction makes more noise when hit by the small bits of detritus the tyre will fling at it when on rougher ground?
My guess is that the carbon fiber fender section vibrates due to road surface roughness. I tried rubber spacers under the side screw mount positions, removing the underside T25 screw (made me nervous about fender attachment, and "tuning" the fender with thick layer of adhesive tape. The latter method did reduce fender noise. At first I was concerned about tire edge rubbing front/right side of the fender with the marginal clearance... IIRC we discussed the fender clearance some years ago.
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

This fender issue is a mystery to me. I have a stock carbon fender and it has never rattled and is stiff as a oak board. I can pound on it and not a sound????
Last year I put an extender on the back half of the front and that is a very big improvement on keeping the road grime and water off the front of the engine.

mystified!

BTW the carbon hugger on the rear required some modification with a small amount of material removal because it would rattle when hitting a bump or on a rough road.
Sorted now.

I have never had to remove the front fender for tire/wheel removal, almost sounds as if you guys have a different rockster from mine!

Curious.

When I removed the fender to install the extender one of the brake line fasteners that plug into the rear part did not seat properly and when I went for a short ride without earplugs I did notice a noise from the front that turned out to be the brake line slapping the fender. Once corrected, no more noise.
It was the first time I had ever removed the front fender.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER