New 2004 R1150R owner, what do I need (beginning rider)

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

MThomas

New 2004 R1150R owner, what do I need (beginning rider)

Post by MThomas »

What I have:
DOT helmet
Kevlar bike jacket
Bike Gloves
Battery tender

For non-highway, urban riding (for now), what should I get and in what order:
Neck brace - ~$300
Back brace - ~$100
Air horn - ~$50-~$100
Underside LED lights - ~$100
Crash bars - ~$200-$300
(other)

For a perspective on my (in)experience, I've ridden an enduro as a teen, recently a handful of rides on a Shadow, a test ride on a V-Rod, and the Basic Rider course (on a Yamaha TW200)
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Re: New 2004 R1150R owner, what do I need (beginning rider)

Post by Doug »

I'd go for a set of ankle high boots next. When I commute, I'm wearing a jacket, gloves and Arai, but for spirited riding Ill add my boots and protective pants too. My jeans have Kevlar lining and I'm looking for a set that has armor too.. The Kevlar is nice for abrasion, but wont help with bones! :)
Member #1
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

MThomas wrote:What I have:
DOT helmet
Kevlar bike jacket
Bike Gloves
Battery tender

Neck brace - ~$300
Back brace - ~$100
Air horn - ~$50-~$100
Crash bars - ~$200-$300
(other)

For a perspective on my (in)experience, I've ridden an enduro as a teen, recently a handful of rides on a Shadow, a test ride on a V-Rod, and the Basic Rider course (on a Yamaha TW200)

Why do you feel you need a neck brace or back brace, or air-horn, or underside lights?

Crash bars are always good, because they'll protect the bike even when you're clumsy and it falls.

I'd go for decent motorcycle boots, then decent armoured trousers (leather/textile/denim according to your needs/desires). The damage a simple spill can do to your legs is larger than you might think.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Jaimo
Basic User

Post by Jaimo »

I will have to agree with the other posts. Before the lights, before the back brace, before the air horn...

Get a good pair of boots and pants. Protect yourself, then the bike, it's easier to fix.

I do find the horn on the R1150R sufficiently loud to attract the attention of other drivers.

I have recently gotten a new pair of pants this summer, the BMW Summer Pants. They are armored in the knee and hip, and when you reach your destination the legs will zip off and convert them to cargo shorts, this are awesome and is available for $175 - $250 depending on the color and size.

https://www.amazon.com/BMW-MOTORRAD-SUM ... mmer+pants

https://www.amazon.com/BMW-Sahara-Summe ... mmer+pants

Hope this helps,
Jaimo!
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I've found that a bright set of LED's (driving lights) have been invaluable for me. The difference was immediate. Not to see but simply to be seen.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
dandeldesierto
Basic User

Post by dandeldesierto »

You're getting some good advice from the other riders, as always on here. BUT... I'll go along with you on the big horn. An air horn may not be required (there's some good electric ones out there); a good horn properly used can get some good results. Otherwise, I upgraded my toolkit, the stock one being kind of anemic, imo. I also use a "cramp buster" for longer rides. Of course you realize that you've opened Pandora's box, as the R1150R is an ideal base bike for refining your idea of what a bike needs to do. I run a Parabellum tall touring windshield, handguard, and aluminum Trax ("adventure" style luggage) on my '04 R1150R. That model looks good with a little "fly" screen and a small topcase also. Your call, of course, for all that...
motorcycle_monkey
Basic User

Post by motorcycle_monkey »

towerworker wrote:I've found that a bright set of LED's (driving lights) have been invaluable for me. The difference was immediate. Not to see but simply to be seen.
I second this. I immediately added some cheap LED lights simply for being seen. They are bright too, so no excuses in the daylight. I think I paid less than $10 on Amazon. I also wear bright yellow gear. Not going to solve all the problems, but, anything to make me more visible to others seems worth it for me.

Welcome to the fantastically fun world of motorcycling! It's fun, just ride within your abilities.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

MThomas wrote:What I have:
DOT helmet, Kevlar bike jacket, Bike Gloves, Battery tender
Neck brace - ~$300
Back brace - ~$100
Air horn - ~$50-~$100
Crash bars - ~$200-$300
(other)
Just how urban is urban? Big city downtown survival riding?
Engine guards/bars can be your friend in any environment, particularly if you're riding a bigger/taller bike (compared to the others you've listed). Plus engine guards make installation of aux conspicuity lights easy... assuming the big city survival scenario.
As already mentioned, protective pants can help.
Some type of boots should be a priority.
Spend your money on an advanced riding course, using your new bike. And then spend the rest on gas, getting as much enjoyment and experience this season as possible. Practice slow speed riding in an empty parking lot, figure 8s, emergency stops.
Share your experiences here.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I should mention that my LED'a were inexpensive spot beams from eBay. Paid about $30 or so for a pair of 27 watt lights. Makes the headlight look like a candle by comparison. That are not DOT approved (in Va) so I pull them prior to state inspection and bolt them back on afterwards. I've found most led'a that claim 10-20 watts from a single device (one individual led) go bad quickly. I think too much heat and they simply burn out. (I've a friend who has gone thru many 10 and 20 watt devices). Mine use a cluster of 3 watt devices and no failures in over 3 years of constant use.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

towerworker wrote:I've found that a bright set of LED's (driving lights) have been invaluable for me. The difference was immediate. Not to see but simply to be seen.

Assuming of course, that people are looking. ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

sound like youre good to go... just for long highway ride, you need to add. "BOOTS AND PANTS AND BOOTS AND PANTS" :lol:
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
DAM650
Basic User

Post by DAM650 »

finally got some kevlar mesh gear from motoport, and i wear CBT boots from aerostitch, helimot gloves in the cool weather.

i have a bunch of jackets and pants to sell, and if you are interested send me a pm
2002F650GS ABS Black Betty 89K
2002R1150R ABS Misty Blue 48K
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

this may be a silly question but this optimate-4 dual program battery tender I got doesn't have any controls on it but states that thidere's two modes. a regular mode and a can mode.
do I just plug it into the cable extending from the battery and it knows what mode to go in or is there something else?
I want it to charge it up and then maintain the charge after its charged (without overcharging)
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
Evan
Basic User

Post by Evan »

What about the windshield? Do you have the original on it?
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

I took off the windshield because I think the bike looks far better without it.
I also took out the handgrip shields since the left one was preventing the clutch from extending all the way out (that and I also think the bike looks better without it)
2004 R1150r Non-ABS