ABS or not ABS?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bigsime
Basic User

ABS or not ABS?

Post by Bigsime »

Hi I'm looking to buy a second hand R1150R (in the UK) i'v found 2 bikes one with all the extras, ABS, heated grips, panniers and one which is pretty basic no ABS. I'v been reading about problems with the ABS and how much it costs to put right. I'm just wondering is this a common problem and would I be better off going for the none ABS model thanks Simon
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Re: ABS or not ABS?

Post by Sunbeemer »

That is the question!

I've ridden both and own a non-ABS so I might be biased, but I chose it because while I loved being able to slam on the brakes at 45mph on gravel and have the bike come to a completely controlled stop, I didn't feel entirely comfortable with the complexity of the ABS system, including having so many moving parts to fail, which apparently they do! Nor did I feel comfortable servicing that system myself, and I hate paying someone else ~$250 to bleed the system every year. I probably would have learned how to do it and know that many others do it themselves, but I still didn't like the idea of having so many things that could break my brakes!
Rich
ADIOS!
lcarlson
Donating Member #: 0

Post by lcarlson »

I also chose non-ABS when I bought my bike new. As far as I was concerned, power brakes on a motorcycle was the answer to a question nobody had asked. If they had been non-servo, I would have gone with ABS.
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
duke
Lifer
Donating Member #: 568

Post by duke »

If memory serves it is possible to remove the ABS - search the forum.

Parts-wise, looking at motorworks.co.uk:
second hand ABS sensors (rear or front) are £55 each
second hand ABS unit is £295
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

Should my servo go or the brakes give me any trouble...
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... ABS-system
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
Hottech
Lifer

Post by Hottech »

I had the same thoughts before I bought my bike new back in 2004. I was working with a doctor that had a stable full of bikes. He told me that the ABS saved his life once and that was enough reason to have it. Like I said he had a stable full with a variety to choose to ride and money was not an issue. I have learned to love my servo assisted ABS brakes and have a DVD that shows me step by step how to flush the system. Its not difficult just time consuming. When I take a Victory or Harley or Indian out for a test ride it makes me laugh when I apply the brakes and nothing happens. My ABS stops on a dime and will through you over the handle bars if you are not use to them.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

non ABS every time.

(3 Rocksters).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

I love my bike equally with or without. I removed my abs due to a draggy rear brake. Took 14 lbs off the bike. I think the abs is FINE. but it does require added maintenance, and causes cold morning voltage annoyances.

I do not miss that added maintenance, the noise.. the weight. or the worry of its failure. However, there have been a couple situations where there would be peace of mind had I had it. But, good riding technique > ABS every time in my mind.

I cant live without the panniers, and I love my heated grips. (actually forgot I had them recently, and turned them on by mistake, and it was heavenly, the days are starting to get cold)

I say Buy the loaded one, then pull the ABS if it starts to act up. IT took me a bout 2 hrs, 3 beers, and 3 dollars worth of connectors to pull it. I won't really look back.

enjoy either.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I have an '04 with (or did have) ABS. Annual ABS service is a MUST!. Mine missed a few years do to an illness. It failed last year and I removed the system. I liked the idea of the safety of ABS but never had to use it. On an older R the iABS system is prone to problems and is extremely costly to repair the system if it fails. I pulled my ABS pump and associated components and do not regret it. The bike lost about 11lbs and a substantial current drain on the electrical system. I have known of one 2002 R that never had an ABS service and it made it to last fall before it failed. I'm amazed it made it that long. But big $$$ to repair/replace the pump. Actually I think the fella in question had to replace the pump ($2400+).......and that's just the cost of the pump. As of last year(2015)there wasn't a rebuild service available. Might be now, not sure.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

No ABS on my 2004. It was a showroom model, and it was a $1500 option to get another one with it.

No regrets, the brakes work fine.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

I believe ABS is a fantastic addition to a Motorcycles braking system. The technology is there for you when you need it and the modern systems work quite well. I currently have 3 Motorcycles outfitted with ABS.
That being said the servo assisted brake / ABS set up from BMW is ridiculously overly complex and very expensive to repair / replace. With modern brake technology there is no reason to have a servo assist for brake fluid pressure (IMHO). My better half does not like the abruptness of the brakes on the R1150R and I don't care for the lack of feel / feedback. I may yank the servo this winter just to have normal operating brakes.
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

My friend with a chromehead found a ABS rebuilder out west. $350 a unit for BMW rebuilds.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

sjbmw wrote:My friend with a chromehead found a ABS rebuilder out west. $350 a unit for BMW rebuilds.
This company does rebuild some BMW abs systems........but I don't think they rebuild the iABS that was installed on our machines.

https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/

I contacted them last summer and their response was they were not able to source parts for the iABS system. It appears they are able to repair some of the other BMW m/c ABS systems but sadly not the ones our older R's have.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
grwrockster
Lifer

Post by grwrockster »

My 2004 Rockster (bought with just 2,057 miles on it in 2007) is non-ABS.... which is what I wanted due to the issues and complexity of the ABS.
I also rode a Rockster WITH ABS on a test ride... and hated it. Maybe the Rockster's braided lines made it sharper... but I felt like the servo-assisted ABS brakes were so grabby and aggressive that they NEEDED the ABS part to stop them being lethal.

Plus... if the ABS packs up on a long tour... then you've got VERY compromised brakes (happened to my mates R1150R on the St Bernard Pass heading from Italy back into Switzerland in a downpour.... and he wasn't a happy camper having to worry about his brakes all the way back to Wales!

I'm a fan of ABS in general (just about the only truly useful rider-aid IMHO)... and so if the R1150's had 'normal' ABS systems instead of some OTT car-type, over-complex, servo-assisted load of junk on it.... then my decision would have been pro-ABS.
I just do not like nor trust the servo-assisted, unreliable, sledgehammer to crack a nut solution that BMW bunged onto the 1150's - and am far happier without it on my bike.