How to make my system cases look new again

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

hawkdad
Lifer
Donating Member #: 836

How to make my system cases look new again

Post by hawkdad »

Hey Everybody,
My system cases are looking a bit worn and oxidized. Any recommendations as to a product to refresh the finish.. Armorall??

Thanks,
Hawk
Dave
'03 Red R1150R
peels
Basic User

Re: How to make my system cases look new again

Post by peels »

I find this annoying, as I have the same issue. For awhile, I would continually use a heavy plastic and/or tire shine on them, but its only temporary.

So i just slapped stickers on them LOL Now I just clean them with an Endust type cleaner after i wash it. stopped fighting the fadedness.

but if youd like to try, look up "wipe-new" you can get it anywhere. shines everything up, but its VERY oily. and even then, still temporary.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

"Back to Black" made by Mothers. Best stuff ever. I've used it since 2003 and my cases still look good. (other than scratches from dumping--and it will even help those not stand out so much).
It's not oily or greasy like so many other products. You use it on any black plastic and it will keep it looking nearly new. You wipe it on with a cloth. Use it liberally and rub it in good. Let it sit and maybe rub it down with a clean cloth. I use it on every piece of black plastic on my bike including my GS hand guards, air box, Air intake manifolds etc. Works extremely well.

Wayne

edit--To be sure it's something you have to keep up with. Any black plastic will gray over time if you ignore it. This stuff is like waxing your bike or car. It's not "do it once" and it's good forever. I use it several times a year. It will literally make the plastic look either new again or darn close. I will not be without it. You can buy the stuff at any Autozone, Advance, Wally World etc.

http://www.mothers.com/index.html#utGmGv3jRluRB26m.97
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

TW X2
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by gregor »

I use any of the above or similar generic products. Also used the spray- on stuff on my black painted gearbox. It was getting a bit matt and grey ,after using spray on bike cleaner. Works fine to improve the colour and restored some gloss.

Wally World? In the UK that would be a theme park for feckless morons. :)

Oh I see, a nickname for Wal Mart.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

gregor wrote:
Wally World? In the UK that would be a theme park for feckless morons. :)

Oh I see, a nickname for Wal Mart.
Your first comment was accurate. It's an entertaining place to be on Saturday mornings! :lol:
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

So what's a typical visit to purchase something in Walmart like? In the UK the fun starts in the cramped car parks. I think you call them bumper car fairground rides in the US of A.
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Usually (thankfully) it's pretty normal. I guess normal depends on where you live! Around here we have a lot of good ol' country boys with their big trucks with large diesel exhaust pipes either sticking up thru the beds or out the back. And some of their ladies are nice to look at. Here's a link to some of the sightings at Wal-Marts across the country. Some have lovingly referred to them as Wal-Martians.....

https://beartales.me/2013/01/14/the-lat ... lmartians/
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

Gulp. And I complain about our Morrison's supermarket, who bought up Safeway, but our problems are very different. My bête noir is 'older' * customers blocking the aisle with their trolleys while chatting. And entering via the exit and vice versa. We get the very occasional transgender/transsexual/cross dresser etc. etc. but we are supposed to 'sympathise/empathise'. Well at least we don't get too many Harley riders shopping round our way. Our stores probably seem like little corner shops to you anyway.

* Ten years + older than me anyway.
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

I'd love to visit your "little corner shops" some day. I was in Heathrow once back in 2005. That was as close as I've ever been.

Wayne
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

A few years ago, my bags were looking a little used, including a couple of runs ins with pipe bollards at gas pumps that jumped out in front of me as I was leaving.

My solutions was a can of spray on bed liner from Lowes hardware. Lightly sand to smooth out any scratches then carefully tape and newspaper around the bits you don't want painted (I only did the lids). A couple of light coats and they looked new! Even have a light texture like the originals!

Of course, I went on a long trip and covered them with stickers but when I sold the bike, my wife took off the stickers and cleaned them up and they looked great. Not bad for a 2002 with almost 90K miles on it!

'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

bedliner....

GOOD IDEA! ^
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

Bedliner coating is not a concept I've come across. Most trades people use small vans in UK because of our wonderful climate and risk of tool theft.. Must search on line as it sounds a useful product.
Quick search on-line proves my ignorance about the product availability in the UK. :roll:
dandeldesierto
Basic User

Post by dandeldesierto »

I've been using spray-on bedliner for a number of things; it costs about the same as spray paint, it can be used on a variety of surfaces, and just a quick spray over will repair the bedliner itself, should it get marred or scraped. Sam's Club (that's a wally world kind of for wholesale, for you "across the ponders" sells a small hand truck with a really cool aluminum foot for about 20 dollars. I've made a number of rear racks using the dolly foot only, spraying them with bedliner and mounting them with stainless steel fasteners. The foot fit the top of my Trax aluminum topcase perfectly; a number of riders have asked where I got the rack. Several years ago there was a motorcycle and rider stopped in the "bar ditch" (that's a southern US colloquialism). Stopped to help, he was just waiting gasoline being brought out, but the whole bike was done in bedliner; frame, wheels, body parts. It looked really good. If one searches around, it can be found in a wide variety of colors online.