Mounting System topcase on an R1150R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Xdot
Donating Member #: 0

Mounting System topcase on an R1150R

Post by Xdot »

Been a while since I posted here. Sold my R a few years ago and got an RT. I've enjoyed it but have learned a lot and am going back to no windscreens. However, I kind of hate to lose the storage in the topcase. So, I was wondering if there is an OEM option to mount a System topcase on an R1150R? I'm sure I could make it work but I'd rather have a clean approach. It sort of looks like the topcase might fit into that silver, triangular, OEM luggage mount that goes between the grab handles/saddlebag mounts...

Thanks!
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
gregor
Lifer

Re: Mounting System topcase on an R1150R

Post by gregor »

If you mean exactly OEM , then yes. Just a matter of finding the stuff new or more likely, pre-owned.
If you want to adapt a non OEM top box to fit, then searching the forum is your friend. I recall plastic chopping boards being the mounting of choice in the past.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

It depends on if you have the side rails, and back plate. I was able to mount a locking Emgo box right on the back plate of my R1150R.

Been working fine for years. It comes with a plastic plate that the box locks into, and 4 bolts that fit through the BMW back plate. It does not fit a full sized helmet though. But its great for locking up my tank bag when parked in high foot traffic areas.
I use gun locks for my helmet.

http://www.bikebandit.com/emgo-motorcycle-travel-trunk
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

I already have a full set of System Cases and they can be keyed to the bike which I like very, very much. If that System Top Case will fit the OEM luggage plate, I'll order one from MaxBMW and be good to go! (Unless I can find one cheaper on fleabay or ADVrider.)

I have used the plastic cutting board and it does work well, but if I can do OEM, so much the better.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

There's no BMW OEM solution for mounting that System top-case to the R1150R/Rockster, but it's possible with a pair of plates. See my post on your thread in the Rockster forum.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35776
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
lcarlson

Post by lcarlson »

BMW makes an OEM soft topcase that mounts solidly with fixed hardware that can be keyed to use the ignition key. Only works with the R1150R and old K1200RS luggage rack. Has quick release. I believe it's 22 liters, which may be too small for many, but perfect for my needs. But with the hardware, it's pricey.
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

I've opted for the Givi topcase mount for Givi and other (Kappa) monokey cases. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/givi-top ... -r1150r-01 Also at Revzilla https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/giv ... -2001-2005
No drilling or cutting required, just remove the original plastic plate and replace it with this rackmount.

It combines fine with the original BMW mounts for the side cases. In the picture below you see the result with a Kappa monokey topcase.

8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Xdot wrote:I already have a full set of System Cases and they can be keyed to the bike which I like very, very much. If that System Top Case will fit the OEM luggage plate, I'll order one from MaxBMW and be good to go! (Unless I can find one cheaper on fleabay or ADVrider.)

I have used the plastic cutting board and it does work well, but if I can do OEM, so much the better.

Answered your pm btw, but your inbox might be full?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Mr.Frequent
Basic User

Post by Mr.Frequent »

[quote="EasyBee"]I've opted for the Givi topcase mount for Givi and other (Kappa) monokey cases. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/givi-top ... -r1150r-01 Also at Revzilla https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/giv ... -2001-2005
No drilling or cutting required, just remove the original plastic plate and replace it with this rackmount.

- I did the same,except mounted an 1/8th inch aluminum Aircraft grade plate under the Givi plate ,but on top of the rack arms.
The plate is threaded to accept the Givi plate mounting screw pattern but if I remove the Givi box plate I can fasten a backrest on for the pillion. It's solid. 8)