My new 2002 BMW R1150R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

oliverehmig
Basic User

My new 2002 BMW R1150R

Post by oliverehmig »

Greetings to all.
This is goin to be my very first post here.

Im a happy owner of a 2002 BMW R1150R, bought ir 2 months ago with 18.000 miles on it. I came from a line of adventure style but I fall in love with this one. My plan is to use it to travel and explore where theres asphalt :) (I know is not a GS)

A very retro futuristic design :)

So far, I find it powerfull and well designed.

But I wonder if there is any upgrades worth to consider. (knowing that some of you prefer to keep it as de factory made it)

So far I had changed the Headlight for a LED and installed a windshield

Someone told me about de Y PIPE to remove the catalytic.

If you have any advises or suggestions I will be be more than happy to learn.

Best regards

Oliver.
www.oliverehmig.com
swamper
Basic User

Re: My new 2002 BMW R1150R

Post by swamper »

Ride it, and it performs great on dirt.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Welcome Oliver, you made a great chioice-

I couldn't agree more about the design, in fact it's the one of the most important things I considered when buying mine (actually third one!)...I wanted it to look like the motorcycle I had in my mind based on a lot of different criteria.

My current 2003 had a few things on it when I bought the bike- Exhaust was changed and the canister was removed, sport shield and a USB powered connection on the handlebars as well as handlebar risers and lowered pegs. I personally would have skipped the expense on the exhaust, other than being a little louder I can't really see much difference, but the risers and lowered pegs makes a big difference to rider comfort. I'm not that tall (5'9") but the bike felt cramped without raising the bars and lowering the pegs a little.

Also agree that the bike will do decently in the dirt, probably due to the low center of gravity. It likely wouldn't be my first choice for a serious off road adventure but then neither would a GS or similar adventure bike. I'd prefer something significantly lighter.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Don't bother with the y-pipe, but do lose the end-can, makes getting the rear wheel off much easier, and looks better. Get a tip for the catalyst end-pipe.

Get yourself a short (365mm) Paralever arm, speeds up the steering and increases ground clearance.

Check the wiring loom by the headstock - you may find the wires are tied up tight to the headstock - cut the cable-ties so the wires hang freely - means the internal part of the wires (the copper) won't break from the constant bending caused by the steering movement.

Have a browse around this forum - lots of good info. :)

I'd also (if you haven't already) do a FULL service on it - ALL the fluids, ALL the filters, check the brakes for free-movement of the pistons and good quality pads.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Tigcraft
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Tigcraft »

And just a steady old... welcome in!
Hyja1
Lifer

Post by Hyja1 »

My 02 R1150R, with a flyscreen, is still original. I do my own maintenance thanks to the information and help this forum provided me. Enjoy the bike. Like you said, it’s a powerful ride.
Holland Ja, San Francisco
‘02 R1150R black
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Welcome! The R is a great bike. Dependable and pretty darn rugged. I'll turn 100,000 miles on mine within the next couple months. And there's lots of help on this site.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

Congrats! Same year and model here. A adjustable windshield is a nice add on for long rides/touring.
Consider some bar backs for added comfort. I also removed the much maligned Servo brake system.
Mine came with a Y pipe and GTR Muffler. You lose the center stand, an improvement? I put it back on when stored.
I will say the stock “bread box” and Muffler are heaviest OEM exhaust I have ever experienced.
***One must have is a improved taillight. I put a LED with a rear facing magnifier and added Hyper-Lites along side the license plate.
Other than that ride as often as you can!
What did you use for the LED headlight?
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

towerworker wrote:Welcome! The R is a great bike. Dependable and pretty darn rugged. I'll turn 100,000 miles on mine within the next couple months. And there's lots of help on this site.
Excellent! Let us know how it runs over 100K - mine was fine, right until it blew.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
lcarlson

Post by lcarlson »

I’ve had mine for 17 years since I purchased it new in NYC. Many bikes have passed through my garage since then, but the trusty R remains....
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
Barista
Basic User
Donating Member #: 25

Post by Barista »

My favorite mods, so far....
Signal Minder, so I'm not driving down the road with the signal still flashing.
LED tail light
LED bulbs in the turn signals
Footpeg lowering kit from Wunderlich
Bar risers
Ztechniq windshield
Sargent seat
Kaoko throttle lock
Fenda-extenda, so I'm not constantly cleaning dirt off the engine.
RAM X-grip phone mount
USB port mounted on the frame head below the handlebars.
BMW rails and side cases, (look good, but there are probably better aftermarket options that hold more volume for less cost).

I've also added a Puig windshield extender. I was getting air flow over the Ztechniq windshield that hit me at about nose high. The wind noise was bad. My Sargent seat is 1" taller than the original seat and I'm 6' tall so this might not be necessary for everybody. With the Puig extender the air flow hits where it should at the crown of my helmet. It's much more comfortable and quiet at highway speeds.
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska
oliverehmig
Basic User

Post by oliverehmig »

WOW!!!
Thanks for all the tip and comments.

I bought this bike planing to keep it for a very long time.

I was in Coco Beach last week, the bike its a beast and whenever I stop people sees the bike with that:" There goes a man that know things" look.

Just one small Issue is that if I go full gas in first gear the engine do a long gap (not stall) and the goes full beast. I plan to take it for inspection.
Perhaps injection dirt.

I will share some photos soon.

What I want to find for my bike is:

1. Lower pegs
2. K&N filter (someone recommendation)
3. Y pipe? (perhaps) I want to replace the original exhaust for one without the CAT
4. engine crash bar (It's hard to find one) to put aux lights and footpegs for long trips.
5.someone told me about Better fuel injectors (more fuel injection)
6. 365mm Paralever

If you have links to see your advices, thanks in advance.

Thanks again.

I'm very happy to find this forum.
Last edited by oliverehmig on Thu May 30, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oliverehmig
Basic User

Post by oliverehmig »

swamper wrote:Ride it, and it performs great on dirt.
Ohh I will :)
oliverehmig
Basic User

Post by oliverehmig »

Photoguy wrote:Welcome Oliver, you made a great chioice-

I couldn't agree more about the design, in fact it's the one of the most important things I considered when buying mine (actually third one!)...I wanted it to look like the motorcycle I had in my mind based on a lot of different criteria.

My current 2003 had a few things on it when I bought the bike- Exhaust was changed and the canister was removed, sport shield and a USB powered connection on the handlebars as well as handlebar risers and lowered pegs. I personally would have skipped the expense on the exhaust, other than being a little louder I can't really see much difference, but the risers and lowered pegs makes a big difference to rider comfort. I'm not that tall (5'9") but the bike felt cramped without raising the bars and lowering the pegs a little.

Also agree that the bike will do decently in the dirt, probably due to the low center of gravity. It likely wouldn't be my first choice for a serious off road adventure but then neither would a GS or similar adventure bike. I'd prefer something significantly lighter.
have the handelbar raiser, Im looking for lowered pegs. thanks :)
oliverehmig
Basic User

Post by oliverehmig »

riceburner wrote:Don't bother with the y-pipe, but do lose the end-can, makes getting the rear wheel off much easier, and looks better. Get a tip for the catalyst end-pipe.

Get yourself a short (365mm) Paralever arm, speeds up the steering and increases ground clearance.

Check the wiring loom by the headstock - you may find the wires are tied up tight to the headstock - cut the cable-ties so the wires hang freely - means the internal part of the wires (the copper) won't break from the constant bending caused by the steering movement.

Im trying to look for a 365mm Paraleveler arm but I dont see any place that sells it :(
I'd also (if you haven't already) do a FULL service on it - ALL the fluids, ALL the filters, check the brakes for free-movement of the pistons and good quality pads.
Lose the end-can? any replacements ?.

"Check the wiring loom by the headstock - you may find the wires are tied up tight to the headstock - cut the cable-ties so the wires hang freely - means the internal part of the wires (the copper) won't break from the constant bending caused by the steering movement".

I will check that, thanks for the tip.

The first thing when I bought it :) (full service)

Thanks
Last edited by oliverehmig on Thu May 30, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oliverehmig
Basic User

Post by oliverehmig »

Tigcraft wrote:And just a steady old... welcome in!
oliverehmig
Basic User

Post by oliverehmig »

Hyja1 wrote:My 02 R1150R, with a flyscreen, is still original. I do my own maintenance thanks to the information and help this forum provided me. Enjoy the bike. Like you said, it’s a powerful ride.

Time to buy some tools then :D
oliverehmig
Basic User

Post by oliverehmig »

Tundra Dweller wrote:Congrats! Same year and model here. A adjustable windshield is a nice add on for long rides/touring.
Consider some bar backs for added comfort. I also removed the much maligned Servo brake system.
Mine came with a Y pipe and GTR Muffler. You lose the center stand, an improvement? I put it back on when stored.
I will say the stock “bread box” and Muffler are heaviest OEM exhaust I have ever experienced.
***One must have is a improved taillight. I put a LED with a rear facing magnifier and added Hyper-Lites along side the license plate.
Other than that ride as often as you can!
What did you use for the LED headlight?
I will check that tail light upgrade (I really like how the tale light looks)
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

One of mine has the Y-Pipe and a Remus can. The other two still have the Cat but with the muffler removed and ran open straight out of the Cat. I don't notice any difference between the three bikes other than the Y-Remus sounds louder. As far as K&N air filter I think they are much over-rated, just change out the OEM type at every second oil change or when you feel it might need it. Crash bars are more of a personal choice, I don't like then but do have valve cover protectors on all three 1150R's. Beemer boneyard is a good source for maintenance type parts, IE: filters
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
oliverehmig
Basic User

Post by oliverehmig »

swamper wrote:One of mine has the Y-Pipe and a Remus can. The other two still have the Cat but with the muffler removed and ran open straight out of the Cat. I don't notice any difference between the three bikes other than the Y-Remus sounds louder. As far as K&N air filter I think they are much over-rated, just change out the OEM type at every second oil change or when you feel it might need it. Crash bars are more of a personal choice, I don't like then but do have valve cover protectors on all three 1150R's. Beemer boneyard is a good source for maintenance type parts, IE: filters

I also have valve covers.
I want the crash bars because I want to install a very nice pair of headlights and also looking for a place to put my boots on long trips.

Can you explain me the "but with the muffler removed and ran open straight out of the Cat" ? can I see a photo to understand it? :)

Thanks for the tips.