Help ! Autoswitch A7 on my 1150R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr.Frequent
Basic User

Help ! Autoswitch A7 on my 1150R

Post by Mr.Frequent »

I've just about completed driving light wiring on my 2002 model.Custom wired with soldered connectors and heat shrink. The A7 by Auto switch enables me to use the high beam flash or turn signal cancel switch to trigger the lights ; just press the turn signal cancellation switch for two seconds, and the lights come on. No ill effects to the rest of the system, uses micro voltage sensed through ground and the lights run through a relay.Don't want a toggle switch installation.

I can't seem to find the wire from the cancel switch in the multi-connector under the tank. Don't wanna take the right hand handlebar cluster apart! I should be able to check by probing wires until I get no resistance when the switch is pressed and the other lead is connected to ground .No luck with those tiny wires other than sticking my finger > ouch <

Has anyone installed the AS7 and remembers where/what color wire/what connection block ?
I appreciate any help from someone who knows from experience.
Mr.Frequent
Basic User

Re: Help ! Autoswitch A7 on my 1150R

Post by Mr.Frequent »

I found the wire location and color ( brown, white stripe) on an 1150RT wiring schematic.Colors were the same in this instance .Wasn't in my manual schematic.
Tested and got the short to ground when I tapped the cancellation button.

The location from seated position would be near top of the tank if it were on -the right hand ,lowest black connector above the connectors that bring it all to the Motronic. I'm soo relieved.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I'm glad you found that wire. I've got an Autoswitch laying in a drawer that needs to be installed. Couldn't find the cancel wire, got side tracked and it got pushed to the back burner. Time to move it to the front!

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Mr.Frequent
Basic User

Post by Mr.Frequent »

It should be just what I want ,with no extra visible wire and a switch to stick somewhere. The lights on a relay is the way to go. I'll post my thoughts when I get it back together and try it out , Towerworker. ;)
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Great! Looking forward to it.
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

The only minor issue I have with mine is that it takes about a second of holding the "Cancel" switch to turn the lights off, which seems kinda long when you're trying not to blind oncoming traffic with the Hellas...otherwise, it's great!
Rich
ADIOS!
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

I've got the tank off, all sitting under the shade tree in front of my house. I haven't had success yet in finding the proper wire. But had to stop early today to be at work at 11. I'll consult my Clymer shop manual when I get home this eve.
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Mr.Frequent
Basic User

Post by Mr.Frequent »

Well, so far I like it just fine. Added a USB charger up by my RamMount holder while I was in there ,too.I thought I screwed it up but I ha ha . .had put a burned out ATC fuse in the holder I added.Took ten minutes of probing to find that! Worked perfectly with a good fuse .Sunbeemer,you are right about the couple second delay , but that's the nature of the beast running a relay. I can get used to that.

Towerworker, probe the wires until you find the brown w/white stripe one thru the insulation , the other lead to ground,Press the cancel button;when the Ohm meter pegs no resistance ,you've got the right wire.The leads are very tiny gauge so use caution poking thru the insulation, or try the connector where the wires enter. I had better luck looking at Doug Raymond's R1150RT schematic from BMW MOA because it showed the brown/white cancel button layout leads instead of my Clymer which vaguely said "right handlebar cluster" .Luckily most of the bikes we like share same color coded wire.

I put the little blinking LED up next to the tach; it stays put and is tidy and only takes a glance to see.. Only thing I wish I had done differently is getting PIAA 5372 driving lights instead of knockoffs. The wiring is there when I change my mind, and I can still see if any deer are out there.
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

A little update on my install. I found the right wire but my switch is grounded except when the switch is pressed. But there is also a Kisan SignalMinder SM-5 installed. That controls automatic signal canceling as well as some other functions. It seems there is something else to figure out here. When I hit the cancel switch all my signals go out as long as the switch is depressed. I've sent an email to SignalMinder.
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Can't seem to get an answer using the phone number for Autoswitch nor get an answer on email. (emailed them a week ago) Wondering if they're
still in business?

I've a pdf on the Kisan schematic coming from them. He was very helpful on the phone. It's been difficult getting much time to work on the bike these past few days but I'm off tomorrow so hopefully I'll get this resolved.
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Mr.Frequent
Basic User

Post by Mr.Frequent »

Oh no. Wish I had known earlier. There are issues with running the A7 when a signal minder is already installed.The fellow I bought mine from ( a new unit) didn't put it on his GS because of the signal minder.There may be a work around. They are still in business down in Miami,and have a web page. They sell on Ebay now , however. It may be worth asking them about Kissan

http://www.autoswitch.com/as7.php

Best of luck,Towerworker!