Purolator Pure One oil filter

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

marecycling
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by marecycling »

I want run a Purolator Pure One oil filter on my ( new to me) 2002 R1150R. I cannot locate a cross reference chart or part number, in order to accomplish this. Is there someone here who might help me out with this spec. I really feel these filters are the best. Any help is appreciated.
The "good things" that come to those who wait, are just the "leftovers" from those who didn't!
mnnden
Basic User

Post by mnnden »

marecycling, I think the No. is ML 16825. here is a link to a site that might help you out. Den
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html
We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
Paul Mihalka
Basic User

Post by Paul Mihalka »

Any filter that fits the old Dodge Neons and SAAB will fit the oilheads.
You don't stop riding because you get old - you get old because you stop riding!
Rootin55

Post by Rootin55 »

Another car to bike reference.....I have a 97 4-Runner and an 03 Tacoma Pre-Runner, both with the V-6 engine. The fllter for these vehicles fit my 02 R as they do my RT.
"In silence man can most readily preserve his integrity"

Meister Eckhart
Bobby549
Basic User

Post by Bobby549 »

Purolator L10241
ProductUser
Lifer

Post by ProductUser »

There was an indepth analysis (by CycleRob) as to why the BMW oil filter was so good. CycleRob actually cut open a BMW filter and explained what made BMW oil filters so good. Just a FYI.

ProductUser
mnnden
Basic User

Post by mnnden »

ProductUser wrote:There was an indepth analysis (by CycleRob) as to why the BMW oil filter was so good. CycleRob actually cut open a BMW filter and explained what made BMW oil filters so good. Just a FYI.

ProductUser
There has been much discussion over the years about Oil and Filters, and I for one can not understand why anyone would use anything but a BMW filter, After reading all the posts and doing my own surgery on a few filters, I have come to the conclusion that the little I would save is just not worth it. I like to save money just like everyone, but I think I will look elsewere to do it. The same goes for the plugs, i tried the off brands (Autolite) and although they cost a lot less, I don't think the performance was there. and I certainly did not get the miles out of them, Just my opinion. Den
We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
jm1515
Triple Lifer

Post by jm1515 »

mnnden wrote:
ProductUser wrote:There was an indepth analysis (by CycleRob) as to why the BMW oil filter was so good. CycleRob actually cut open a BMW filter and explained what made BMW oil filters so good. Just a FYI.

ProductUser
There has been much discussion over the years about Oil and Filters, and I for one can not understand why anyone would use anything but a BMW filter, After reading all the posts and doing my own surgery on a few filters, I have come to the conclusion that the little I would save is just not worth it. I like to save money just like everyone, but I think I will look elsewere to do it. The same goes for the plugs, i tried the off brands (Autolite) and although they cost a lot less, I don't think the performance was there. and I certainly did not get the miles out of them, Just my opinion. Den
Yessir...
I was a dedicated non-OEM filter kinda guy with all my previous bikes. Partial to Bosch, actually.
Then I came across that previous discussion w/ pictures and decided to cut a used Bosch from my Subaru and compare it to the filter that came off my R from the 600mi service.
There IS a difference....the OEM Mahle filter looks & feels SO much more well-built.
Does it filter better?? Don't know...
Is it worth the extra 4bux??
Well..I bought 3 Mahles from Chi BMW, did the 6000mi service with one, so I have 9000mi more to think about that.....
:wink:
j magda
TripleLifer Member 454
04 Black (the Classiest Color) R1150R
Deep in the OH wasteland...
marecycling
Basic User

Post by marecycling »

I want to thank all of the members for the info they provided in their responses. If the varying opinions on oem versus aftermarket quality and effectivness in oil filters has others like myself, somewhat confused, take a look at the website provided by mmnden (thank you)in this thread. I was impressed with the results the Purolator Pure One acheived in the areas tested, compared to the other brands, and while an oem BMW was not included, I am confident that this filter is comparable and a good choice, especially considering the credentials and experience held by the person conducting the tests. One last thought, my new (to me) 2002 R1150R is the first cycle I have owned in 25 years. Before it, my last bike was the first of the Yamaha four strokes, a beautiful metalflake blue 650 twin, which I put many, many, hard miles on. When I sold that bike it still ran as clean and strong as when I first bought it, and they did not even have an oil filter.
Ride Safe
The "good things" that come to those who wait, are just the "leftovers" from those who didn't!
scottybooj
Lifer

Post by scottybooj »

I think the point that was stressed during CycleRob's analysis, was that motorbikes undergo more extreme operating conditions and that the filtering medium was of utmost importance because of less tolerance to particulates within the engine oil.

remember, your bike is expected to run at 0 degree upright angle, then accelerate out of a corner at 25 degrees or more (watch cyclerob and that angle looks more like 75 degrees) bottom line, more demand on everything that makes up the bike.

Will a purolator work? sure it will. will it filter as well as an OEM? based on the pics of the inside, it just doesn't seem that it can.

if you're stuck in a bind and can't get an OEM, buy whatever I suppose. But if you can have a really great filter for a few bucks more, why not do it?
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
double-secret probationary lifetime member #311
ProductUser
Lifer

Post by ProductUser »

If I'm not mistaken, the OEM filter also provides some safeguard during cold startup; something like allowing enough oil to bypass the filtering element?? I don't know if other oil filters provide this mechanism.

ProductUser
whaycoc
Lifer

Post by whaycoc »

If Rob says it - believe it! Really, when you think of it - the cost difference is so small why not go with BMW parts!
Bill Haycock - Member #78
Huntsville, AL
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

I think what you're saving with non-BMW filters is not that much in the end. At least you will have peace of mind with the BMW filter too. If it's too much of an inconvenience to get to a dealer, mail order a bunch of them from Chicago BMW and get a discount. I'm coming up on my 36k service and will most likely order all the parts I'll need from them. Even brake pads (I'm sure I'll need them soon).

I guess this leads back to the old saying, "the cheapest thing on a BMW motorcycle is the rider".
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
RonBomb
Lifer

Re: Purolator Pure One oil filter

Post by RonBomb »

marecycling wrote:I want run a Purolator Pure One oil filter on my ( new to me) 2002 R1150R. I cannot locate a cross reference chart or part number, in order to accomplish this. Is there someone here who might help me out with this spec. I really feel these filters are the best. Any help is appreciated.
I use the Purelator PL10241, its the same one I use in my PT Cruiser, a happy coincidence. I noticed that the oil seems cleaner at each drain period using them. Your instincts are right. Don't be intimidated by the BMW filter dogma.
Motorcycling is like flying on the ground
zooomart
Lifer

Oil filter option

Post by zooomart »

Thanks for the tip. I like to be able to get the filter now and not when I have time to see the BMW dealer or order on line.

Just good oil and a filter...then more riding,

Is it just me... cold snowy winter here in Ohio with no 40's and sunny breaks.
scottybooj
Lifer

Post by scottybooj »

nobody's saying a purolator won't work. it's just that the inside of the OEM from BMW is waaaaayyyyyyy more complex.

way more.
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
double-secret probationary lifetime member #311
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Ahhh, filters.

The following link will take you to a very detailed and comprehensive study, albeit a few years old.

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilte ... study.html

Then you can move to a more technical explanation as to he meaning of Micron rating with the following article

http://www.baldwinfilter.com/engineer/p ... on%20size'

Unfortunately the manufactuers are not required to report the filtering rating, however do understand that a more efficient filter (one that removes smaller particles) wil plug up faster than the less efficient one.

In closing let me just say that everything in life is relative, I'm not going to predicate on what filter is best or what to use, that is personal preference.

Oh, and BTW, I will not disclose my preference, since I don't want to open Pandora's box.........no, it's not Fram... :roll: :roll:
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

marecycling,

What I found in the BMW filter that really impressed me was a never seen before, high quality, superfine plastic mesh drum filter whose sole purpose is to filter BYPASSED OIL. When/if you wind out a cold engine above 4,000 rpm or so, the cold 20W-50 oil is so thick that it can't all be forced thru the filter paper, so the excess pressure then opens the filter bypass valve. On everybody else's brand of filter, that bypassed oil goes to the engine UNfiltered. With the (worth-every-penny) BMW filter, it all gets filtered with an additional filter assembly you'll see below as a white plastic film inside a black plastic cage:

http://r1150r.smugmug.com/gallery/44666 ... 9902/Large
http://r1150r.smugmug.com/gallery/44666 ... 9868/Large

If you go near redline with a cold engime (!OUCH!) then even the BMW filter will bypass oil unfiltered because of these blow-off valve components that unseat with very high pressure:

http://r1150r.smugmug.com/gallery/44666 ... 9896/Large

Here are the rest of the disection pics:

http://r1150r.smugmug.com/gallery/44666 ... 9904/Large
http://r1150r.smugmug.com/gallery/44666 ... 9899/Large
http://r1150r.smugmug.com/gallery/44666 ... 9898/Large

I am as thrifty as a man can be, but I lay down the cash once a year (to Chicago BMW 1-800-262-9150) and make a big enough (tax-free) order (air filters, etc) to make the ~$9 shipping/handling fee worth the effort.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Robbie makes an excellent point, interestingly enough the BMW fliters are one of the best engineered parts that BMW makes, bar none, and certainly the cost is supported by the quality and features.

However, there is no filter on the face of the earth that will protect an internal combustion engine, specially an air cooled one, against improper operation. Yes, that means high revs befre the engine/oil has reached OT (Operating Temperature)

In the Porsche air cooled pancake engines it is verbotten to exceed 3000 rpms until the oil reaches ~180 F or 80 C. They all have an oil temperature gauge.

Since I fooled around with Porsches early in my career, I have personally abided by this rule, if you have an oil temp gauge great, if not use the 15 riding rule.....it works just as well.

Robbie runs an oil temperature gauge, he might have something to add regarding the time that .it gets for the oil to come to OT.

Remember, the best filter and the best oil will not prevent damage to an engine from imrpoper/abusive operation........ :roll: :roll:
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX