If I can do it...anybody can

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

taosports
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

If I can do it...anybody can

Post by taosports »

I have over 18,000 miles on my 04 R that I bought new. Up until now, I've had BMW do all the work on it which has cost me $1,347 in labor charges alone :shock: - that's in only 13 months. Needless to say, that was incentive enough for me to start doing my own work.

I just finished the 18,000 mile service (except for the abs brake bleed - which I left for BMW to do). With the help of members on this board and other BMW boards, I had all the info I needed and it was both fun and informative. My bike runs great! :D I even replaced both tires on my own, taking the old ones off and mounting and balancing the new ones. (That alone saved me over $200.)

So for those of you who are thinking about servicing your own bike, I say go for it. If I can do it, anybody can.
bimrluvr
Lifer
Donating Member #: 429

Post by bimrluvr »

I'd be interested to know how long it took you?
#429 (in for life)
'06 Silver R1200RT
'04 Titan Silver R50R (3/05-9/10 was a good friend - RIP)
baltm604
Lifer

Post by baltm604 »

I have done two sets of tires, as well as my 12k service.

The 12k service took me about 7 hours over 3 nights. I was overly cautious and had never done the valves and TB balance before.

The tires took me about 4 hours the first time. Well under 2 hours the second time. My last puncture on the rear took 45 minutes to do, including removal of the wheel, mount/balance and installing the wheel.

Bill
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Tire changing

Post by towerworker »

I would be interested to know how you changed your own tires (and balance) I have seen something some months ago on the same but would like to hear how you did it.

Wayne

03r
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

bimrluvr wrote:I'd be interested to know how long it took you?
It took me close to 6 hours I'd guess but I know it can be done in much less time. Like Bill, I took it nice and slow, especially the valve adjustments and TB synch since I've never tackled those before.
towerworker wrote:I would be interested to know how you changed your own tires (and balance) I have seen something some months ago on the same but would like to hear how you did it.
Changing both tires also took a bit of time - maybe 4 hours? I did one tire at a time since I don't have an easy way of supporting a wheel-less bike. It was also my first time so again I took it nice and slow. I will admit to sweating and struggling to get the rubber over the rims on my first attempt but it was mostly due to my inexperience. It will go much easier the next time now that I know what to expect.

I pretty much followed the detailed instructions in this link :
http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing.html

The bead breaker and tire levers were purchased from :
http://www.tireqwik.com/tireqwik/breaker.html

And the wheel balancer from :
http://www.marcparnes.com/BMW_Motorcycl ... lancer.htm

Photo of the tire changing platform I made from 2X6 inch wood. (The bead breaker, tire irons and homemade plastic rim protectors are also in the photo.)

baltm604
Lifer

Post by baltm604 »

http://www.r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

post from a few months ago....

Bill
jbim
Basic User

Re: If I can do it...anybody can

Post by jbim »

taosports wrote:I have over 18,000 miles on my 04 R that I bought new. Up until now, I've had BMW do all the work on it which has cost me $1,347 in labor charges alone
taosports

I would like to know the breakdown of those charges. I am looking to buy a BMW bike and it's freaking me out to know that the charges after just 18,000 miles can be that much.

My cars are not costing me that much to maintain.

Thanks
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

jbim wrote: I would like to know the breakdown of those charges. I am looking to buy a BMW bike and it's freaking me out to know that the charges after just 18,000 miles can be that much.

Thanks
Here is a breakdown (parts/labor):

600 mile - $38 / $251.
6,000 mile - $19. / $441.
12,000 mile - $108. / $334.
Tires : Metzler Z-6 - $284. / $118.
ABS brake bleed - $16. / $203.
18,000 mile - $27.

Note the 6,000 mile service : $19 in parts and $441 in labor :shock:

My BMW shop is in the San Francisco bay area where the cost of living is extremely high. I imagine that is reflected in the labor rates. I'm sure if I shopped around, I'd find better rates (there are 6 within a 90 minute drive from my house). If you are planning to buy a bike, ask the dealer for a similar breakdown of charges. Get it in writing. If they won't do that, simply shop elsewhere.

I will admit, that it has been nice to have someone else do the service while I go do other things with my time. But there's a great sense of satisfaction and pride knowing that I can do it and do it well and I really don't mind spending a day getting to know my bike better.
Arbreacames
Basic User

Post by Arbreacames »

taosports wrote:...except for the abs brake bleed - which I left for BMW to do.
Nice job! I share with you the satisfaction of doing the job myself and saving lots of $$ in the process. I can foresee that tou will not be having the ABS bled for you many more times. If I can do it (see picture), you can do it too. All it really takes is that funnel thingie, and some brake pad spacers. The funnel is used to supplement the tiny reservoir on the servopump during the bleed process. You will get the info on making your bleed tools here: http://users.rcn.com/dehager/service/ab ... dapter.pdf
and the bleed process is explained here: http://users.rcn.com/dehager/service/service_abs3.pdf
I bought my R used 11,000 miles ago and it has never seen a professional mechanic since I brought it home.

And here is a picture of the tool I use the most:
Carlos D.
SlideRuyle
Basic User

Post by SlideRuyle »

Arbreacames
Your synchonizing tool looks similiar in design to one I built when I had a Yamaha vstar 1100. I used a yardstick and two stroke oil. It worked great until I let the line fall on the exhaust pipe. Do these sorts of homemade devices work as well as the high dollar mercury ones?
baltm604
Lifer

Post by baltm604 »

one theory is that the home made carb sync tools are better. No mecury to deal with. and a lighter weight fluid will be far more sensitive and far more accurate.

I have used both the homemade as well as a twin-max, both worked well.

Bill
jm1515
Triple Lifer

Post by jm1515 »

taosports wrote:
jbim wrote: I would like to know the breakdown of those charges. I am looking to buy a BMW bike and it's freaking me out to know that the charges after just 18,000 miles can be that much.

Thanks
Here is a breakdown (parts/labor):

600 mile - $38 / $251.
6,000 mile - $19. / $441.
12,000 mile - $108. / $334.
Tires : Metzler Z-6 - $284. / $118.
ABS brake bleed - $16. / $203.
18,000 mile - $27.

Note the 6,000 mile service : $19 in parts and $441 in labor :shock:
I paid about the same for the 600mi, but did the 6000mi myself. First time doing valves, so I was a bit paranoid about getting it right, but the TBS was easy. The whole job was probably 3hrs...
Got almost 9000mi on the OE PilotRoads, so I'm due soon for a tire change. That I will do myself also...
I think I will bring my bike to the Dealer at around 12000mi and have them do an AnnualService along with a 12k, minus everything I can do (valves/TBS, fluids, plugs). I'll probably do this once, then do everything myself.
My 'stategy' is to bring it into them periodically just to let them know I'm still around :wink: & drop a few bucks their way, but I definitely plan on doing the standard maintanence myself.
j magda
TripleLifer Member 454
04 Black (the Classiest Color) R1150R
Deep in the OH wasteland...
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

DIY maintenance

Post by sweatmark »

taosports,

Thanks for the inspiration. After contributing my fair share to local dealers during regular service intervals, am now determined to follow your lead with own maintenance work. All the more reason to adjust our current Beemer inventory so the Mrs. and I can work on (nearly) identical bikes, assembly line style.

Hence, I'm purchasing a 2nd R1150R to match my faithful '02 Roadster... the Mrs. will inherit "Rocket '02", and I'm buying myself a 2004. We'll be doing His & Hers valves, fluids changes, and throttle syncs as part of Date Night activities!

Which maint. jobs do y'all feel are worth paying money for? Some folks do ALL their own work, while others choose to let trained technicians do some of the trickier stuff (or all of it, as the case may be).

Mark
Oregon
'96 R850R
'01 R1100R
'02 R1150R
'04 R1150R... soon to be!
(oh, and I can't forget the Buell!)