R1 Rider Videotapes Idiot Who Crashed Into Her!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

budH
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by budH »

Whew, she really has no time to react! She describes what happenend and beats herself up a bit here.
--bud--H
Black '02 BMW R1150R
Red '98 VFR800Fi / Blue '08 WR250R / RWB '84 VF1000F
sLower Delaware
mcooperstein
Donating Member #: 2

Post by mcooperstein »

Totally amazing... thank the Lord she's ok. Incredible video. The bizarre thing is that the guy who hit her is claiming she hit him..well, I suppose it's a matter of semantics..but the vid shows he's clearly in the wrong. Maybe motorcycle cams should be standard equipment on all bikes!

Mark
hotzuk

Amazing that the rider is okay

Post by hotzuk »

What the he... was that car thinking doing that move. And people say that bikes are dangerous. This should serve as a reminder to us all to stay members of the AMA to fight for laws that really punish people that perform such bonehead moves like that the hurt bikers.
duke
Lifer
Donating Member #: 568

ABS

Post by duke »

Ahem - some people always say that riders can stop faster and in shorter distance without ABS compared with ABS.

In this instance - how many people will react so well so that they would not lock the front?

Apart from "been there, done that/I am the racer god/I have ridden bikes since I was 2 years old" the rest 99.5 percent would greatly benefit from the ABS.

So far Yamaha refuses to fit ABS on R1 :twisted:.

Thanks god for the good old not-so-exciting BMW, Honda and some other manufacturers which slowly and quietly have started entering ABS as standard equipment or at least as option.

Good that the rider was not seriously injured or killed!!!
LonestaRR

Post by LonestaRR »

Incredible video. I'm inerested in a helmet cam now. Does anyone on the board ride with a helmet cam? I never thought about getting one before, but it sure looks like it is going to pay off for her.
hotzuk

Reply to Kristi

Post by hotzuk »

Kristi,

Take a look at http://www.helmetcamera.com. I will be purchasing their extreme system when the spring hits the Northeast.
LonestaRR

Post by LonestaRR »

I looked at that site. I was just wondering if there were other options that someone on the forum might recommend.

Also, did you read the posts at:

It sounds like she was using two cameras. Wouldn't the camera from helmetcamera.com work alone?
Blitz
Basic User

Post by Blitz »

Wow! what a jerk move, she's lucky that gold Buick didn't run her over her too! Very fortunate.
The one thing I did notice was the yahoo standing over her snapping digital photos/video(?), if some tard did that while I was on the ground I would probably... GRRRRRR :evil:
A man who knows others has wisdom,
A man who knows himself has enlightenment

2004 R1150R SILVER
gel9001
Basic User

Post by gel9001 »

I read the riders post, I don't know about you guys but I'm getting the impression that trying to film a video of her excursion is what got her into an accident in the first place. I don't seen any type of evasive action in the video.
G
MattPie
Lifer

Post by MattPie »

gel9001 wrote:I read the riders post, I don't know about you guys but I'm getting the impression that trying to film a video of her excursion is what got her into an accident in the first place. I don't seen any type of evasive action in the video.
G
I didn't get that from watching it. She was near the middle of the lane, but just before she hit the guy, she was almost on the dashed while lines (right next to the car in the lane to her right). I suppose she could have tried to go left behind the yo-yo, but it's awfully quick to think like that.
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

MattPie wrote:I suppose she could have tried to go left behind the yo-yo, but it's awfully quick to think like that.
I thought of that waaaay after watching it. I think I would've done the same as she did, try to avoid the car which would make you go right. Maybe one of those super fast reflex/thinking people would think to have gone left, and I'm not one of those people.

That made me consider an onbike camera of some sort but seriously looking at using one, I doubt I would turn it on all the time.

She sure was lucky in a whole lotta ways.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
beekstersocal
Lifer

Post by beekstersocal »

its so hard for me to watch poo like that,,, imean its my biggest fear ive been riding street bikes since i was 16 im now 40 :shock: but i still think to myself why do i ride a bike when they really are dangerous and when i here or see any kind of accident on motorcyles i just get this crappy gut feeling :x but yet i keep riding and am not happy without riding. i do know that that is what keeps me alert and safe and vigilant and defensive either way keep the ruber side down :roll:
ride it like you stole it
wardieone

some thoughts

Post by wardieone »

Yeah the guy was an ass but this happens everyday and thank god she didn't get seriously hurt. Couple of things from a safety stand point...they teach you in class to keep that side zone open. She passed the honda who was on the outside of her in the passing lane. I just wondered if she would of had enough presence to look left and try and get in that lane or to the right. It didn't sound like she skidded so maybe that was ABS we heard kicking in and out. She had a quality racing suit complete with knee pads so I'm assuming she's had some track time. Maybe it was one of those times when you just can't do anything. The guy who lost control of the car just panicked and wouldn't leave off the brakes. Hope she has a boyfriend, husband or big brother so when court case is over he can go pay a visit to this ass.
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

The video was too hard for me to watch. My accident last summer was too much like it.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
Shaman
Honorary Lifer

Post by Shaman »

Hey!
I posted this in the pay section a day before.
How are we going to get people to pony up if mods let them post all the cool content out here.

http://www.r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=5595

*runs back to the club house*
wardieone

cameras

Post by wardieone »

In this instance the camera would prove who was at fault. Just an FYI though I wouldn't put anything on my bike that detracts from my main purpose... concentrating on driving the bike. I think if you replay the video there may have been options. Multiple hazards are coming at you when you are approaching cars that are slowing down. High alert..don't pass cars who are on the outside lane unless you have clear distance a safety zone around you for escape. Look at the vid there are lots of LITTLE things that added up to cause the crash. This isn't an indictment on the rider..it happens but the whole idea is to minimize your risks..hopefully keep from getting clipped by a cage. I wasn't there I don't know if I would've been able to pull out and get clear who knows but I do know some of the things that happened could've been avoided. Did you hear how loud the bike was? Imagine if you had ear plugs to drown out the R1..do you think you could hear a skidding car to the left of you? I dunno. I'd still send a big friend over in a couple of months to visit Mr. Bike Crasher
gel9001
Basic User

Post by gel9001 »

I read her messages after the accident and she says something about having a bad feeling about approaching those cars and not going with her instinct and switching to the left lane behind the Honda. Again, I really think that in trying to get the best shot for her video, she wanted to stay in the center lane, ignoring her gut feeling.
I'm with wierdone. don't let anything or anyone detract from the main purpose of riding.
don't mean to be judgmental, but the riders posts make me think that this was all about being distracted from riding and thinking to much about filming.
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

Actually, if you read the messages over on the sportbike forum you'll see that she condemns herself for not avoiding the accident. She did do the right thing by keeping the bike straight and making her best attempt to stop. She hit that guy hard though. She was a long ways from the bike when she stopped tumbling. I was impressed that the camera survived the hit and kept running. Was the thing in a tank bag, or a back pack ?
socalrob
Lifer

Post by socalrob »

A couple of things:

I understand she has a couple of 100,000 miles under her belt & also races. Sounds like an accomplished rider.

The car she passed that was to the left was in a carpool lane, actually, the driver who hit her was in the carpool lane, apparently without a 2nd person on board. Looked to me like she did what she could, maybe she was running just a tad hot through traffic, but maybe not too.

As far as her lane position, when I'm on an LA freeway in traffic I'm changing my position in the lane constantly depending on second by second risk analysis, I think it helps visibility, & if idiot cagers think I'm weaving around drunk I figure they'll stay away.
07 1200GSA & 08 Ducati Hypermotard S
& Honda XR400
Past-04 R1150R
beekstersocal
Lifer

Post by beekstersocal »

very well said rob i kinda do the same thing i let people know that im out there and try to stay a head or behind traffic [usually a head :lol: ] abd be on the DEFENSE!
ride it like you stole it