R1200R pics

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

chris
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by chris »

Well I can't help but want one..if the motor proves reliable and somebody designs a protector for the oil cooler I might well be riding one in a few years.
Question is, do you test ride it or not? I want to BUT what if it handles, goes, stops, looks, better than the 1150? What then? But there's no way to not go for a test ride is there...oh bugger.... :?
Chris

2011 G650GS
Photos
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

I don't see what all the hubbub is regarding the oil cooler. If you look at water-cooled bikes, their radiators are in similar positions.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

I agree..check out where the oil cooler is on the KTM Superduke.. :shock:

DJ

chris
Basic User

Post by chris »

yjleesvrr wrote:I don't see what all the hubbub is regarding the oil cooler. If you look at water-cooled bikes, their radiators are in similar positions.
Yeah but you can't use one of those all winter in the UK either! OK for the odd trip out but for everyday use it'd be wrecked in no time.
Why would any bike designer put a vital component right in the path of all the crap from the rear wheel? Doesn't make sense.
Chris

2011 G650GS
Photos
jonothan
Basic User

Post by jonothan »

Love it.

Close enough to the R1150R to retain the character, and not make the old R look outdated.

Agree about the oil cooler.

J
BMW R850R in silver
heated grips
panniers
flyscreen
cylinder head protectors
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

Well, overall not bad. I won't be trading my beak in on one yet.

Things not liked: don't care for the oil cooler location, front telelever, fat muffler. The rear seat area looks small, probably not too comfy.

Thinks liked: Overall styling, headlight, no beak, more useful gauges (hopefully oil temp?), RT bags, of course more power/less weight.

Steering stabilizer? Does it need one? The telelever looks like an afterthought, like the oil cooler. "oh ya, we need ze telelever, don't make it fancy. And put ze oil cooler box umm....down zere!"
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
latakia77
Basic User

Post by latakia77 »

What are the metal spikes sticking up out of the exhaust pipes directly under the jugs? Some sort of oxygen sensor? (They look like spark plugs. Finally, I thought, a triple-spark boxer!)

I can certainly see where they have evovled the design in many places that really matter; power, adjustable seat, luggage symmetry, and weight.

The instrument cluster, handlebar reservoirs, and the those same Mickey Mirrors really downgrade the entire bike, IMO. I didn't think they would change the instrument cluster style, just make it more useful. And somebody needs to go over to the Fatherland and cap some bean counter for allowing those mirrors to live on on this model.
Glen
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

The Mickey Mouse mirrors should have been killed, but they are easily changed. Also, I join the chorus about the cheesy looking reservoirs.

I'd have to see one in person. Bikes can look very different in pictures.

I like it, but not enough to sell my 1150.

I am glad they kept a single round headlight. It is a classy look. Some recent BMWs have had hideous looking headlights, such as the non-symmetric ones on the R1200GS, and the cyclops thing on the R1200ST.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
jon pierce
Basic User

Post by jon pierce »

latakia77 wrote:What are the metal spikes sticking up out of the exhaust pipes directly under the jugs? Some sort of oxygen sensor? (They look like spark plugs. Finally, I thought, a triple-spark boxer!)
No not triple plugs - they are the after burner igniters. It is intended to increase forward momentum without using any more fuel. There is always a little bit of unburnt fuel that goes out the exhaust.

BMW are aware that some riders have been removing the rear silencer so they decided that they can make a bit more noise by creating extra explosions within the exhaust down tubes.

Or......................it might be the new sensors that monitor the exhaust of each cylinder independent from each other (the previous closed loop system measured both cylinders together) for more accurate fueling and cleaner burning.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion!
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Well, I am both relieved and disgusted.

Relieved that BMW did not screw the 1200R up and actually made a bike I might buy again. :)

Disgusted - because it is good looking enough, combined with all the engine/tranny improvements to perhaps put me in an uncomfortable position next year trying to justify one! :?

Fortunately, I dearly love my current one, so my marriage is safe at the moment. :P
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
chris
Basic User

Post by chris »

So who's going to be brave enough to risk a test ride...
Chris

2011 G650GS
Photos
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

I'll give you a report within a couple months... :wink:
Member #93, June 2002
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

I'm in the same boat with Vann. My bike will be paid off in February. There are just enough updates that the gears in my head have started to slowly crank.

It certainly needs a beak, and some windscreen (not the one pictured) go cover the instruments. Wonder if it could be retrofitted with our tubular Telelever?

I have oficially decided I like this new bike. Can't say for sure I'll be making jump yet.

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
toner87

Post by toner87 »

"kinda" looks like a Rockster... was the Rockster a test for some of the new styling?
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

I'm kinda disappointed that it has the old Roadster forks and not the better looking Rockster forks.

The new front fender/mud guard means we may have a new replacement option for those who don't like the beak on their current Roadster.

DJ
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

Wow, you guys are picky. I think the R1200R's looks convey the right amount of naked attitude while remaining true to BMW's styling heritage. The oil cooler is in a similar position the radiator on my SV650 is located. I like the fact that BMW decided to consolidate the oil cooling unit into just that - a single unit for simplicity's sake. I ride my SV through the winter, and the usual winter road grime has never affected it adversely other than the need for me to wash it just like every other part of the bike.

At this point, BMW's engineers should have enough data to know what shortcomings the new boxer motor has and to implement fixes in the coming year. Likewise, they will have similar data regarding this particular model by next summer in time to implement moderately simple alterations and fixes by the 2008 model year. Having bought my Harley last summer, I'm in no hurry to expand my stable for a couple years. So by the time I'm ready to buy another bike, I'll be throwing the R1200R onto the list of bikes to consider along with the new K1200GT and the R1200GS. My hankering quite honestly is for a high-powered high-speed long distance tourer given my lifestyle, so in my mind's eye the K1200GT will most likely be my next purchase. But who knows until I'm ready to pull the trigger what bike I will wind up getting?

All I know is this - BMW sure is serving up a tasty menu of bikes these days. Bravo to the boys in Bavaria for coming up with a new generation of the most appealing bikes they have ever offered.
Member #93, June 2002
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
lacrimosa
Basic User

Post by lacrimosa »

All the R1200R's specifications are on the Belgian Forum, all except for the price...
R1150R Rockster
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Thanks...Do you have a link...or can you copy and paste it here?

DJ
lacrimosa
Basic User

Post by lacrimosa »

Specs are in Dutch, haven't got time to translate all of it, so I'll post them as they are

I guess you'll manage to use them as they are :D

Just ask if you wnat something explained

Cheers

Steven

BMW R 1200 R

BMW R 1200 R
Krachtbron
Cilinderinhoud cc 1.170
Boring x slag mm 101/73
Vermogen kW/pk 80/109
bij toerental tpm 7,500
Koppel Nm 115/85
bij toerental tpm 6.000
Type Boxer
Aantal cilinders 2
compressie/brandstof 12.0/Super plus
Klepsturing HC (bovenliggende nokkenas)
Kleppen per cilinder 4
Ø in-/uitlaat mm 36/31
Mengselvorming/motorregeling Elektronische injectie BMS-K
Uitlaatsysteem Drieweg katalysator

Elektrisch systeem
Dynamo W 600
Accu V/Ah 12/14 onderhoudsvrij
Startmotor kW 1.2

Transmissie
Koppeling Enkelvoudige droge plaatkoppeling, dia 180 mm
Versnellingsbak Constant mesh zesversnellingsbak
Primaire transmissie 1,882
Overbrengingsverhoudingen I 2,277
II 1,583
III 1,259
IV 1,033
V 0,903
VI 0,805
Cardanas
Eindoverbrenging 2,75

Wielophanging en rijgedeelte
Frame Stalen buisprofielen, aandrijflijn dragend
Voorwielophanging BMW Telelever
Achterwielophanging BMW Paralever
Veerweg voor/achter mm 120/140
Caster mm 119,1
Wielbasis mm 1.495
Balhoofdhoek ° 62,9
Remmen voor Dubbele remschijven, Ø 320 mm
achter Enkele remschijf, Ø 265 mm
BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (optie)
Velgen Gegoten aluminium velgen
voor 3,50 x 17
achter 5,50 x 17
Banden voor 120/70-ZR 17
achter 180/55-ZR 17

Afmetingen en gewichten
Total length mm 2.145
Total width incl. mirrorsmm 872
Height mm 800
Weight kg 198
Weight full tank kg 223
Max. weight kg 450
Fuel tank l 18

Performance
90 km/u l/100 km 4,1
120 km/u l/100 km 5,5
Acceleration
0–100 km/u sec 3,6
Top speed km/u > 200
R1150R Rockster
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Thanks..I can make sense of that...looks like the fuel tank is the same size..I was thinking it might be a little more without the oil cooler cowls.

DJ