Has your dealership closed?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

philm35
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by philm35 »

>>>Forgive me for asking this but ... why do you want to know?<<<

Not at all.

Last Christmas, our local Cincinnati dealership, BMW Motorcycles of the Tristate, abruptly closed its doors, leaving those of us in the region with bikes still under warranty no alternatives for service within a two-hour ride. If our bikes are unrideable due to mechanical problems, we're really in bad shape.

After this happened, I started learning of a disturbing number of other midwestern dealerships that had suffered similar fates. As I look more, it appears that the problem isn't really confined to the midwest.

Aside from Grandma in the Volvo suddenly turning left in front of us, this upward trend of dealership closures is one of the biggest threats facing BMW motorcycle owners. In the days of old, when most of us were riding airheads, we could do most maintenance ourselves, content to order parts via mail-order. Now with EVO ABS, fuel injection, CAN-BUS, and all of the other cool technology our beemers contain, maintenance and repairs have for the most part been taken away from the average garage mechanic. Even highly experienced professional independent BMW mechanics are incapable of working on our ABS systems without some very specialized equipment and knowledge.

A disappearing dealer network hurts all of us. We've got precious few resources for getting our bikes worked on. And as word gets out, think about what this lack of support will do for the resale value of our motorcycles. Almost makes me want to sell my beloved beakster and go buy a Yamahondazuki.

As far as I can tell, BMW NA has been silent and unresponsive on this issue. IMHO, the only way we're going to get some answers from them is if all of us as individual owners, and as a group (through BMW MOA) press them on the matter.

So that's the reason I'm asking. I would like to rouse BMW MOA from their slumber and appeal to them to hold BMW's feet to the fire.

Keep that list of closures coming!

--Phil

2004 R1150RA (silver, two months of warranty left)
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

I think BMW has seriously underestimated the problems they are going to have with so few dealers. They do not seem to care, either. See my other rant
http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=6741

They have introduced a lot of tremendous bikes in the last 1.5 years or so, but the high prices combined with the lack of dealers are going to seriously hurt their ability to sell these bikes. I cannot see how they will maintain a presence in the U.S. with the scarcity of dealers. My experience is based only on the NYC area of the U.S. but that is a big area.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

I used to be 4.5 miles from Touch of Class BMW in Phillipsburg NJ . . . . then I moved to Georgia, where Blue Moon BMW is 36 miles away. I spoke with the owner at Garden State and thought the place was doing OK. I heard complaints of costly, BMW required cosmetic make-overs and one brand BMW only showrooms - - - and I had to wonder why. It's about the bikes, Not a specific light grey wallpaper and large, chrome, wall mounted wording.

BTW, Most service departments (SD) are not profit centers. At year's end, they just end up paying their own way. The multi-million dollar insurance needed and employee salaries eat a big chunk. A lousy SD will make customers dissappear and the dealership fail. A good one is necessary to stay in business long-term. A great SD will draw customers over 90 minutes away and be busy thru the winter.

BMW's and Ducati's are the most dealer service dependant bikes made. Apparently the management at BMW either doesn't care about the American owners -or- they think that their sparse dealer sprinkling over the USA map is enough (just like Ducati).

The mainstream popularity of the new BMW's is going to force the issue.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Data

Post by MikeCam »

Three or four years ago, the then President of BMW North America (now BMW Motorrad of America) gave an interview to the BMW MOA magrag.

He answered clearly that BMW NA were intentionally weeding out the old dealers (from 60's 70's 80's) and replacing them with the new corporate image, one brand, high glitz dealers. He also stated that BMW NA was happy with the number and density of BMW franchises in the U.S. That number is more or less 150 (perhaps down some recently).
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
philm35
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by philm35 »

I remember that interview. Looks like his strategy is working like a charm.

--Phil

>>>Three or four years ago, the then President of BMW North America (now BMW Motorrad of America) gave an interview to the BMW MOA magrag.

He answered clearly that BMW NA were intentionally weeding out the old dealers (from 60's 70's 80's) and replacing them with the new corporate image, one brand, high glitz dealers. <<<
Last edited by philm35 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

makes me glad to be out here in the sticks. my dealer is less than 5 minutes away and apparently one of the those new single brand, glitzy types. real nice folks also.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...