Orders being taken

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

AllanCook
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by AllanCook »

I don't mean to question your $13,025 figure, Dean, but where does it come from?
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

No problem, Allan. The BMW web site now has it. I was given word about it a while back.
Dean-O
Member #33
AllanCook
Lifer

Post by AllanCook »

Damned if it's not! I must not have scrolled down far enough. That's a pretty doable price, I think.

I'll have to alert my dealer, who today had no idea.

Thanks, Dean.
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

The $13025 price, is for a stripped down version of the R1200R.

Heated grips are an additional $235, ABS is $1040, and a center stand is $120. So that would bring the total on a R1200r up to $14420, or a bit over $2000 more than the 1150r.

Look under available equipment in the following link.
http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bike.jsp?b=r1200r
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
r1150rider
Lifer

Post by r1150rider »

I got a call from the dealer yesterday, he said he just wanted to go over the specs of the 1200R I have a deposit on. I asked if he could confirm the $13,025 base price, and he told me it was actually $12,600. We went over the accessories on my bike, those prices agreed with the ones on BMW's site. I paid $11k "out the door" in August of 2001 for the 1150, the 1200 will be over $14k but hopefully worth it... The dealer also told me it would be built in the 44th week of '06 (1st week of November), and that it ought to show up in the crate about 4 weeks later, give or take a week.
Ed
Member #9
BMW, because loud brakes save lives...
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

You are going to be extremely impressed with the R1200R. I filled up my ST yesterday , same engine as the R1200R, cruising between 80 and 90 for 250.2 miles and only took 5 US gallons.
Dean-O
Member #33
r1150rider
Lifer

Post by r1150rider »

You are going to be extremely impressed with the R1200R.
I suspect you're right, Dean... although I did like the ergo's of the ST, I decided to wait for the R. Ya gotta love that engine and the way the new gearbox shifts, eh? The only real criticism I have is the lack of range, but it looks like it might go 160-175 and that should be adequate for most of my riding.
Ed
Member #9
BMW, because loud brakes save lives...
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

What's the difference in the side stand starter interlock (R1150R) and the sidestand starter inhibition (R1200R)?

Also there appears to be no standard tool-kit included. Hmm?
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

Boxer wrote:What's the difference in the side stand starter interlock (R1150R) and the sidestand starter inhibition (R1200R)?
I'm not sure, but an un-inhibited R1200R sounds like fun! :shock:
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
danstl
Double Lifer

Option Prices

Post by danstl »

Night black with pin stripes $250 more
Chrome Exhaust $135
ESA $800
Heated grips $235
Tire Pressure Monitoring $260
On Board Computer $225
Windshield Sport $210
White Turn Indicators $50
Aniti Theft $235
Center Stand $120
Anti Slip Control $365 - not available until spring
ABS $1040
Bag Mounts $135

Can beordered with a low or high seat at no extra cost, but at these prices fully loaded, it is a costly bike.
socalrob
Lifer

Post by socalrob »

You forgot $50 for the LED turn signals. Gotta have those!

Costly, yes. Pretty solid all around bike, good for urban commuting or the run to Utah for fun, yes again. At this point in life $5K one way or the other is not a deal breaker on a bike for me. If price is the main point, I'd likely look elsewhere, or buy a used 1150.

I was in the Ducati shop on Sat. to pick up a plug kit, & very much liked some bikes there. Actually about in the same price range, give or take. The only bike they sell with ABS is the Sport Touring ST3 (I think thats the number). I figure for my now and again urban commutes on LA's gridlocked freeways, riding down all those painted lines & pavement joints & pavement types the ABS is a must have for me. I also would most likely spring for the ACS in the hope that it would be there just in case I wack the throttle more than needed. Traction while riding on a freeway lane line at 50mph between 2 trucks is pretty critical. I'll take all the help I can get.

I'd probably have a new RR on order if I didn't have to wait for the tire pressure thingy or the LED turn signals. Oh, that & a new horse for my daughter just cleared a vet check & looks like I'll be writing a pretty big check this week anyway.
07 1200GSA & 08 Ducati Hypermotard S
& Honda XR400
Past-04 R1150R
AllanCook
Lifer

Post by AllanCook »

Most of this stuff is needless gadgets. ESA? I can turn the little wheel for myself before I head out. Tire pressure monitoring? I've got a nice $5 pressure gauge that works perfectly. On-board computer? Do I really need to know the ambient air temperature? Or the likelihood of encountering black ice? No. Anti-theft? I used to park my R1150R unchained on the street in Manhattan. I've never heard of a Beemer being stolen: There just aren't enough of them out there to make parting them out profitable. Anti-slip control? But I want to be able to spin the tire if I want to or need to.

There may be a time I'll regret my decision to forego ABS, but I feel sufficiently confident in my abilities to manipulate the brakes for myself. I'll have cases, a windscreen, cylinder head protectors and a center stand, but the rest of this seems almost totally needless to me.
socalrob
Lifer

Post by socalrob »

Allan.

I like the idea of the tire pressure monitor for on the fly situations. I plugged a rear tire on Sat (I really want to get another 1,000 miles out of it to best fit around an upcoming 3,000 mile trip). It would be great to be able to see how that tire is doing. I agree about the ESA, I think the $$ would be better spent on Ohlins front & rear. The on board computer would be nice for the things like oil temperature & fuel left. Also, even in LA in the winter I sometimes take rides up in the mountains were ice is a concern. I will get ABS, not sure about ASC, but would most likely get it to see what it is like, at least it can be shut off.

It is nice that BMW will build a bike the way you want, good for you & me both. If ABS isn't your cup of tea, I would strongly recommend you check out the Ducati naked bike (I think it was an ST4R or something). One I saw for about $15,000 had 130 hp & very, very nice pieces in the brake & suspension areas. & nobody does styl'n like the Eyetalians. Same shop had a 910 Brutale MV Agusta. Talk about beatiful. I just am not into the 4 cyl.

One nice thing about riding these days is its all so good.
07 1200GSA & 08 Ducati Hypermotard S
& Honda XR400
Past-04 R1150R
Capt. Blackadder
Basic User

Post by Capt. Blackadder »

Let's see here... $13,025 base MSRP. Add all options, if one were so inclined, and you're looking at $16,835. Add 8.1% sales tax, and the tally comes to... (drum roll): $18,199.

That's Ouch territory for me, I'm afraid.
Baldur - Black '03 R1150R non-ABS