Gotta ask........TOP SPEED?

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

Acpantera
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Gotta ask........TOP SPEED?

Post by Acpantera »

What is the fastest this beast has gone?
ASK WHY
CupOHemlock
Basic User

Post by CupOHemlock »

For me... that would be 145 MPH. I ran out of guts and road to go faster... but I could have.

COH (Rich)
Thunder Grey 2010 S1000RR "The Beast" (sold)
Metallic Red Apple 2011 R1200R
Member #494
Silverr
Basic User

Post by Silverr »

If I am not mistaken, I think the absolute top speed is just over 170 mph
Last edited by Silverr on Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chibbert
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 202

Post by chibbert »

All I know is speed seems much faster on two wheels than four.

120 on a bike scares me much more than 150 in a car did
Acpantera
Lifer

Post by Acpantera »

I know speed feels faster on a two wheeler than a cager. I think thats why we all ride, it just makes us feel great to go faster. Think back to when you first got the training wheels off of the bicycle you got for x-mass or your birthday, the feeling of freedom and speed were intoxicating, you could travel faster than ever before. I guess the reason I asked the question is that after 42 years of life I still love the feeling of speed and freedom mixed together and the quest to go faster is always in my heart. The fastest I have ever gone is 140mph in our new ford SHO in 1990 (220hp yamaha built 24valve V6)and the fastest on two wheels was on my 2002 R1150R (that my wife bought me for our 15th wedding anniversary)at 130 mph (indicated) the bike 130 got my heart throbbing more than the cars 140...........but I think I would like to touch the 150mph mark just once on a bike........still just a dumb kid at heart I guess.
ASK WHY
big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

When I had my Y2K 'busa, I hit 155mph. Everything was a blur. Cool to talk about though!!
Bill
'07 R1200RT
Damo
Basic User

Post by Damo »

I have to say that I find it interesting that this thread disappeared virtually unnoticed. I remember similar questions being posed for the R1150R and the numerous replies discussed things like indicated as opposed to actual speed, and wind direction or panniers holding things back. I wringed my Rockster's neck a couple of times and 200 kph was pretty much it. Onboard the K12R at 200 kph, she's revving at around 7,500 in 6th gear with the power just starting to kick in. I have come to the conclusion that people who ride this beast are confident that it can travel as fast as they (or pretty much anything else) can, and don't need to prove anything. It is extremely satisfying to ride a machine of such potential.

Damo
lost boy
Basic User

Post by lost boy »

I feel safer traveling at a high rate of speed on a bike than I do in a car. The problem is that I have not been in a really competent fast car. The fastest I drove a car was a Porsche 928 at 137mph (indicated) when the front end felt light, I shut 'er down to get the heart rate back down.
I had the K-R up to 145 on a demo and the only thing I was worried about was blowing off. That's why I am looking forward to the Sport.
Waiting on the K1200R Sport.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

152 indicated.

but it's far more than I ever would need or really want. I'm happy with my Rocksters 135ish.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Bornagain
Basic User

Post by Bornagain »

Last year I was fortunate to be able to run my K12R flat out down a 9000 feet long runway (3 times) with a radar speed gun manned by friendly policemen located at the mile marker.

On the first run I remained in 5th gear to get the feel of the runway and grasp the layout, being clocked at 140mph at the marker. The second run topped out at 158mph at the mile marker(big grins). HOWEVER on the third and certainly the fastest run the electronic limiter kicked in and the bike went into a false neutral, I throttled down immediately and was only travelling at 110mph when I went through the police radar. I would imagine however that the limiter came in at around the expected speed of 164mph. Flat out the bike was rock stable!

These are the certified Police speeds - the speedo indicating about 8mph higher.
So many roads, so little time.
lost boy
Basic User

Post by lost boy »

Bornagain wrote:Last year I was fortunate to be able to run my K12R flat out down a 9000 feet long runway (3 times) with a radar speed gun manned by friendly policemen located at the mile marker.

On the first run I remained in 5th gear to get the feel of the runway and grasp the layout, being clocked at 140mph at the marker. The second run topped out at 158mph at the mile marker(big grins). HOWEVER on the third and certainly the fastest run the electronic limiter kicked in and the bike went into a false neutral, I throttled down immediately and was only travelling at 110mph when I went through the police radar. I would imagine however that the limiter came in at around the expected speed of 164mph. Flat out the bike was rock stable!

These are the certified Police speeds - the speedo indicating about 8mph higher.
Obviously you were wearing your velcro butt pants. You must have looked like Sir Anthony Hopkins as "Burt Monroe" in the World's Fastest Indian"
Waiting on the K1200R Sport.
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

San Jose BMW has had a K1200R at 167 on the Bonneville Salt Flats, I have had my R1200ST at 147 the same place.
Dean-O
Member #33