I bought one

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

chris
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by chris »

AllanCook wrote:Thanks for posting these pics. It confirms my decision to go with shiny black again. Gorgeous. Congratulations.
Yeah the shiny black is the nicest option. When's your new baby due Allan?
Chris

2011 G650GS
Photos
AllanCook
Lifer

Post by AllanCook »

It actually takes less time to get from from Bremerhaven to New York than it does to get from New York to Austin. Mine came off the ship in New York on Tuesday, so I'm hoping end of next week, but it could be the week after that. The waiting is brutal.
chris
Basic User

Post by chris »

Patience................how many tmes a day are you telephoning to check progress... :wink:
Chris

2011 G650GS
Photos
AllanCook
Lifer

Post by AllanCook »

I went to the Lone Star this afternoon to check on the status of my bike, and -- lo and behold -- the Granite Gray Metallic R1200R that came in on Thursday was still there and not yet spoken for. It's a really cool color and the matte finish is very elegant. And it won't show dirt. Bought her on the spot. Pick her up Tuesday. Vroom!
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Congrats Allan....you can stop smiling now... :D

DJ
Kiwi60
Basic User

Post by Kiwi60 »

Congrats mr Cook.
Born for burning.
Ed K
Lifer

Post by Ed K »

Kiwi,

Congrats! Looks nice in black!

If you have the opportunity (perhaps when the R1200R is in for its first service), and the inclination, you might take an R1150R for a spin.

It would be great to hear your take on a direct comparison between the two bikes.
Ed K
07 K1200S
Lifetime Member
Kiwi60
Basic User

Post by Kiwi60 »

Tell you what Ed. Next spring I'll come to San Fran and I'll try out your bike and you could come to Sthlm and try mine.

I'd love to visit the famous bay area and experience some of your roads and great thrash metal music at close range.
Born for burning.
chris
Basic User

Post by chris »

AllanCook wrote:I went to the Lone Star this afternoon to check on the status of my bike, and -- lo and behold -- the Granite Gray Metallic R1200R that came in on Thursday was still there and not yet spoken for. It's a really cool color and the matte finish is very elegant. And it won't show dirt. Bought her on the spot. Pick her up Tuesday. Vroom!
Well!!!!! :) :?: :D
Chris

2011 G650GS
Photos
AllanCook
Lifer

Post by AllanCook »

Well, I got her home at last. It rained today for the first time in a month, so I got to test her out on the wet. (Coincidentally, four years ago this month I rode my 1150 home 90 miles in the rain, too. Is this something to do with BMWs?) She ran just fine. Tires were grippy, even though they hadn't been roughed in. It does feel noticeably lighter, but to my relief, this genteel rider of a certain age never came close to lifiting the wheel. But it's easy to imagine it. She pulls like a friggin' freight train, and has a smoother tranny than the 1150. The brakes were outstanding, and they aren't even bedded in yet.

I almost got to test the ABS (drivers in Austin seem utterly flummoxed by those unfamiliar drops of water falling from the sky), but I don't think it kicked in. Braking is just as it would be without it. If I didn't know the bike had ABS, I'd never guess. Handles very crisply, and I'm looking forward to getting her leaned over a bit this weekend on our twisting hills.

The instrument cluster is very visible (although it was cloudy), and you'll never wonder what gear you're in, since the numbers are an inch tall. Clock, fuel and engine temp gauges are very legible as well. I didn't ride after dark, so I can't tell you about the strength of the headlamp, but the turn signals are very bright and the indicators on the instrument cluster are very bright. At last, BMW has equipped this bike with self-cancelling turn signals, which turn off after 10 seconds or 600 feet.

I would say, however, that she is pretty vibey at idle, more than I remember from the 1150. Smooths right out at speed, though. Seat removal is simple, and there is a tiny tool kit, but no flat repair kit, although I think there's room if you wanted to put one under there. Most important tool is the oil filler cap tool (you'll probably want to get an extra one so you don't have to take off the seat to top off). Getting the seat back on is a bit of a trick, as there are two little poles that have to be fitted into holes in the front of the seatpan. Just takes a little practice. Goes right up on the center stand with less apparent effort than the 1150. The sport screen was about as good as a sport screen is ever going to be.

The fit and finish are, in a word, superb. The powdercoated bits are beautifully cast and finished and clean up very easily. The saddle is very comfortable and expertly made, tight, even and beautiful. The painted parts are smooth and fine. They even put the front valve stem perpendicular to the wheel to make airing up easier. It was a small thing, but a nice touch.

When I get a decent photo or two I'll post them. In short, there's a lot to love about this fine motorcycle. Expensive, but well worth the money, in my opinion.
r1150rider
Lifer

Post by r1150rider »

Glad to hear your first impressions are positive, Allan! I've got a Granite Grey on order (w/out ABS) but I think if one came in with it I would go ahead and get it. Mine won't be built until the 44th week of this year (last week of this month) but apparently you can't change your order once it's been confirmed?

Like you, one of the criteria I had was for there to be at least some space under the seat for "stuff", and I was pleased to see there was indeed some room there. I agree with many here that the price is really too high, but again, like yourself, have determined that it ought to be worth it... sure hate to see my 1150 go, it's been a wonderful bike!
Ed
Member #9
BMW, because loud brakes save lives...
socalrob
Lifer

Post by socalrob »

Ed,

I saw a black one and grey one being uncrated today at a dealer, both ABS. They said they were getting 4 more within a week or so. I would guess Irve Seaver's would have theirs by now.

Although I did not sit on it or ride it, it did look very nice in person. Wheels looked great, & I liked both the headlight (looks like very bright dual H4 bulbs) and tank, very nice shape there.

A HID headlight upgrade on one of the H4 bulbs might be a cool mod, would result in a very bright light.

My next bike will likly be one of the following:
R1200R
R1200S, if they make barbacks, and I would keep my R1150R (I think the barbacks would interfere with the fairing though)
R1200GS - I would sell my RR
Ducati Monster S4RS (I would keep my R1150R).

That Ducati is calling . . ., but so is the R1200R - oh what a delimina
07 1200GSA & 08 Ducati Hypermotard S
& Honda XR400
Past-04 R1150R
Ed K
Lifer

Post by Ed K »

Tell you what Ed. Next spring I'll come to San Fran and I'll try out your bike and you could come to Sthlm and try mine.

I'd love to visit the famous bay area and experience some of your roads and great thrash metal music at close range.
Hmmm, very interesting... never been to Sthlm...
Ed K
07 K1200S
Lifetime Member
Khemz
Basic User

Post by Khemz »

Do you have any trouble using R1200R as your new bike? As you mentioned, I understand that this is your "first" bike so you have no experiences with the motor cycle before. I used to post in this website about using R1150R as beginner's bike, and still wondering if anyone manage to do it safely. May be i'd consider buying R1200R as a new bike as well.

Hope you will share your experiences.

Thanks
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

The Roadster (either one) is an excellent first bike for a responsible and capable person.

HP/Ton ratio is--

323 for the R1150R unladen
443 for the R1200R unladen
(rider and gear obviously make a difference).

HP/Ton is a measure (used in many places other than car and cycle magazines) to gauge power at the throttle.

For comparison, other naked Roadsters:

HP/Ton

Aprilia Tuono 667

BMW K1200R 623

BMW R1200R 443

BMW R1150R 323

Ducati Monster S4R 667

Kawasaki Z1000 572

Yamaha FZ1 614
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
Kiwi60
Basic User

Post by Kiwi60 »

Khemz wrote:Do you have any trouble using R1200R as your new bike? As you mentioned, I understand that this is your "first" bike so you have no experiences with the motor cycle before. I used to post in this website about using R1150R as beginner's bike, and still wondering if anyone manage to do it safely. May be i'd consider buying R1200R as a new bike as well.
The R1200R is my first real bike (I had a Yamaha DT 125 when I was 15) and I haven't had any problems (knock on wood).

I find the bike very easy to ride. It's easy to handle at low speed and it holds it's line in corners "by itself", traction is exellent. I use the Continental Road Attac tires, maybe the bike comes with other tires in other countries.

I maxed the bike a few days ago, it did 240km/h (150mph) according to the speedometer and felt stable accelerating as well as when I pushed the brakes to the limit. I wonder how fast it'll go with the warp core installed.
Last edited by Kiwi60 on Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Born for burning.
chris
Basic User

Post by chris »

Those Conti Attack tyres are fantastic. On my test ride I went to the edge of both sides in the damp without a twitch. Amazing grip.
Chris

2011 G650GS
Photos
motorradguy
Basic User

Post by motorradguy »

chris wrote:Those Conti Attack tyres are fantastic. On my test ride I went to the edge of both sides in the damp without a twitch. Amazing grip.
WOW, that's pretty gutsy. I'd be afraid of dumping it on new tires and having to pay the dealer for all the damage. More power to ya!!
Ahh the bikes I've ridden. So many bikes, so little time!