Cycle World Test

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Panzerleder
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Cycle World Test

Post by Panzerleder »

This month's Cycle World has a test of the new R1200R. They don't normally care for BMWs (I think the switch gear confuses them), but they loved this bike! Said it "hauls ass." Of course, with substantially less weight, significantly more horses (109) and torque, along with a completely redesigned ABS system that apparently works spectacularly well, and, to top it off, traction control, I don't know what there is not to like. It sounds like a sure winner. Of course, as Riceburner said, BMW saddles have been pure crap for lo too many years, now. Heck, the old springer saddles, like the ones on the R2s, were great compared to what they are saddling us with today. Must be one of the places they cut costs.

For you overseas members, what is the foreign press saying about the bike?
Kiwi60
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Kiwi60 »

They reviewed the bike in the september issue of swedish "Allt om MC". I'm not that good a translator, but I'll try my best. In short:

"The fuel injection works splendid from 2000rpm, much better than on the R1200S. Good torquey engine with lots of power in the midrange, this means you don't have to use the smooth gearbox all that much.
Very little vibration due to the balance shaft.
A in handling.
The new boxer is faster, more agile and lighter than it's predecessor and offers more fun in riding."

A very good review in other words. The only thing they don't like is the "lame" design.
Born for burning.