GPS Power Source

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

davevagts
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

GPS power

Post by davevagts »

Nope...seat fits right on.
Dave Vagts
2007 R1200R
Skippy
Basic User

Post by Skippy »

Looks nice but have you put a fuse in the line of the gps? I would if you didn't just to be sure.
davevagts
Basic User

fuse

Post by davevagts »

There will be a fuse on the male side of the adaptor. The plug that comes with the gps has one already in it. But thanks for the heads up.

~dave
Dave Vagts
2007 R1200R
r12r-don
Basic User

Post by r12r-don »

I am picking my bike up tomorrow which means I'll be wiring the GPS up some time this weekend. The autocomm will come later.

I see mixed solutions and not sure I fully understand the solution involving using the BMW GPS power plug. Is it raw wiring that I need to solder and tape up using the Garmin Zumo stripped end power adapter?

I think this is my ideal solution which then doesn't require running anything but an audio cable down the tank area to under the seat where the autocomm will sit.

Do I have this right?

Thanks for all the tips.
poochar
Basic User

The Plug

Post by poochar »

OK ...
The plug is a BMW "Repair Connector" part # 83 30 0 413 585
Priced at $25 (wow) Plug has 3 yellow wires marked 1, 2 & 3
1- Ground
2- (not used ...sends info from BMW GPS to the bike)
3- +12 volts

The power is switched on with the bike key ......BUT...
power stays on for one minute after bike is off (???? not sure why)

At this point I am using it to power my Kuryakyn LED battery gauge.

Eric

05 ST1300
07 R1200R
r12r-don
Basic User

Post by r12r-don »

thank you. I'll try and pick up the plug when I pick up the bike.
wrosechan
Basic User

Post by wrosechan »

I just hooked up a zumo 550 today and I asked the service people at BMW and they said I could simply hook the wires up to the battery directly. This worked very well as I did not have to remove the tank and I simply secured the wires along with the other cables along the left and only had to remove 1 panel. Simple and secure.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Re: GPS Power Source

Post by deilenberger »

DAV-AZ wrote:OK, answered my own question. The factory GPS power plug is indeed there. Pulled the tank and found it tie wrapped to a frame member roughly behind the horn. Used repair connector 83300413585 and wired up the GPS just like factory. Very neat. Small victory.
Has anyone gotten this connector recently? I tried ordering it today and was told there are 34 of them on order - and it's backordered from Germany, time to delivery unknown.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
poochar
Basic User

Hermy's

Post by poochar »

As of a week ago......
Hermy's in Port Clinton, PA http://www.hermys.com/
had 2 of them.
Eric

05 ST1300
07 R1200R
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Re: Hermy's

Post by deilenberger »

poochar wrote:As of a week ago......
Hermy's in Port Clinton, PA http://www.hermys.com/
had 2 of them.
Thank you Eric..

They're getting a call tomorrow..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
fly
Basic User

Re: I got it! Hardwired the GPS!

Post by fly »

davevagts wrote:So I hardwired my GPS in today. Since it's a Nuvi and it only works on 5v, I had to use the car AC adaptor it came with. I hardwired a female AC cigarette plug right to the battery. In the pic one wire is the cigarette adaptor and one is for the trickle charger. Once I plug in the Garmin AC adaptor I'll just put some electrical tape around it all for the water.

What do you guys think? You think It'll work? I didn't have many options with the GPS being 5v.
In the specifications of the owner's manual for my Nuvi it says the input voltage is 12V? I notice that the power adapter says 5V so there seems to be a discrepancy.
Mark

2007 R1200R (now sold)
2008 Sprint ST
2005 VRSCSE
chris
Basic User

Post by chris »

Any pics of your nuvi mounted on the bike? I just got one but wouldn't trust the cradle it came with on our bumpy roads over here!
Chris

2011 G650GS
Photos
spenserj87
Lifer

Thanks for the detailed info

Post by spenserj87 »

I know this thread is old, but I used it to successfully install a Zumo 550 on my new R12R. I could have saved myself time if I had re-read the thread - the connector is exactly where it was supposed to be on a frame tube behind the horn, but it had a plug in the end of it and was positioned in a way that I thought it was being used. I finally saw it once I pulled the tank back. Repair connector, wiring harness, sweet install of the Zumo. Couldn't have done it without help from this and other posts. Thanks.
PhilSB
Basic User

Post by PhilSB »

"The plug is a BMW "Repair Connector" part # 83 30 0 413 585
Priced at $25 (wow) Plug has 3 yellow wires marked 1, 2 & 3"

My local dealer told me that this part is not aplicable to UK bikes.

There is a plug for a socket which is used for the BMW satnav, this comes with a power lead and costs £60 ($120) . Unbelievable :evil:
Fishbender
Basic User

Post by Fishbender »

Hey there, I bought a 12 volt cigarette lighter intended for the bedliner of a truck. It came with a live wire to connect directly to the battery and a one foot long ground wire to connect to the frame. To test it out with my Nuvi 205 GPS cigarette lighter adapter I connected the live wire to the positive connector on the battery and the ground wire to the negative connector on the battery, but got no power to the GPS when I plug the GPS adapter into the cigarette lighter. Tried grounding the ground wire to the frame, but still no luck.

Terry
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

Have you got a volt meter? Is there a place for a fuse? Is the fuse good? Is it in place?

Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
red baron
Lifer

Post by red baron »

I powered my GPS directly to the battery, which I like better since the unit stays on when the power is turned off.
Peter
dderrig
Basic User

Post by dderrig »

The beauty of the new Garmin Zumo 660 (and maybe other Zumo's do the same) is when power is disconnected it asks you if you want to keep it on so it's no problem if the canbus shuts of power as you can keep the GPS going (On the GPS battery).

Dave
2007 Black Pinstriped R1200R
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

I love this forum!
Good timing for this thread to reappear... My bike finally came home last night, so this morning I'm wiring in my tank box in preparation of a little ride and wanted to have the box/gps on the canbus system, low and behold this thread is right here!

Since I have no time, have no local dealer I will do business with, and am pretty much just ghetto....
Out come the wire snips, goodbye plug, hello soldering iron and heat shrink...

Done and done.
cost $0.00

Here's a photo of the plug with the tank pulled back:

Get Lost!
PrplHaz4
Basic User

Post by PrplHaz4 »

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks! This thread was a great help in getting a powerlet socket up by my handlbars. I DID end up having to move the tank aside (by removing the front/side plastic panels and main tank bolt on the left side) to find the damn connector, but as stated and pictured, it was zip-tied right behind the frame rail.