New Year's Resolution? Cable Tie Checks.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

KMACR
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

New Year's Resolution? Cable Tie Checks.

Post by KMACR »

I've been reading and posting in the forum off and on for some time and never cease to be amazed at the great advice, tips, and "heads ups" provided. In the spirit of the holidays let me add a reminder for the new year fast approaching---though it's been posted before---if you haven't yet checked your cable ties for over-tightening, make it a new year's resolution to do it.

I had put it off for the longest time, having read posts about it more than a few times earlier. Finally tonight I thought I would venture to the garage and check, even though I haven't experienced a problem with my 2004 (silver) so far.

Sure enough when I checked the cable ties securing the wiring harness by the fork in front of the gas tank, they were snapped supertight and I could see by turning the handlebars how much stress was being played upon this area---crimping them with every turn. I removed the first, foremost tie and underneath, the harness cover had been worn through. As far as I can tell the cable tie had not yet cut into the wires but it was just a matter of time. I think...I hope...I've avoided a potential problem here. I've got some long trips coming up and Murphy's Law being what it is, sure enough would have manifested itself once I got far away from home.

So, please do yourself a favor. This over-tightened cable-tie issue has been commented on time and again regarding issues from indicator lights not working to starter switch problems to even engines cutting out in turns. If you haven't already done so, check your ties and ride...safer.

Happy Holidays to all......

KMACR
2004 Titan Silver R1150R Non-ABS
"Rubber side down is always a great idea..."
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

Good Reminder! I did my check on mine a couple of months ago and found the same thing - cables too tight!!
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
munchmeister
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by munchmeister »

Geez, thanks for the tip, KMACR. This is a great time to do those little things in a warmed up garage and this is one I was not aware of.

Happy New Year !! :smt031
munchmeister
'02 R1150GS
'01 F650GS
'04 R1150R - R.I.P. 4/29/07
gel9001
Basic User

Post by gel9001 »

KMACR,
You'll be a life saver to some. If I had done this a year ago on my 2004. I would be faced with the problem I'm having now, that is, taking the bike into the dealer and having to deal with the hassel of dealing with this sh&t
thanks,
Gene
Oilhead
Basic User

Post by Oilhead »

My dealer notified me about this. This is a Service Bulletin item.

SIB 61 004 06 054 TC
R1150R Instrument Cluster.

They check for chaffing. There also is an edge protector that they install. My dealer did this for no charge.
2002 BMW R1150R
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2008 Ducati Hypermotard
1996 Ducati 900SS
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

There also is an edge protector that they install. My dealer did this for no charge.
Hey Oilhead...any chance of a pic..or could you explain more about this edge protector...ta.

DJ
GeoffJ
Basic User

Post by GeoffJ »

Good thread.
'96 BMW R1100R
'05 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
NorseMan9
Basic User

How many?

Post by NorseMan9 »

How many of these are there to check? With my luck I'd check 3 of 'em and have the 4th (assuming 4) be the "tie that binds". :?
Erik (a.k.a. Norseman9)
Lexington, MA

2002 R1150R (black, the only color)
Yankee Beemers
NCPadgett
Basic User

Post by NCPadgett »

KMAC - thanks for the kick in the pants. I actually did mine the other weekend, but when I saw your pic, I didn't remember doing that one. So I went back and checked and found two more that needed to be re-tied. They are everywhere :!: Be safe.
Padgett -
2004 Midnight Black R1150R
threebucks1996
Basic User

Post by threebucks1996 »

Good thread...I did mine today and most I found were just snug and I did replace about 6 or 7 that seemed too tight. One was really tight and starting to almost cut through. Next time I have the tank off I will check those as well. Better safe than sorry.
With 70 degree weather today made for a good day for a hour and a half ride, a good bike cleaning, and checking the cable ties!
Buckster
'03R
Gaston
Lifer

Post by Gaston »

last week I had to have wires replaced on my '04 that I bought in September of last year. The heated hand grip cables and the STARTER cable which being damaged was causing my bike to shut off when taking slow sharp turns with the bars turned hard.

Invaluable advice.
Gaston #1135
'03 R1150R Black
'99 Suzuki Bandit 1200 BRG
El Cerrito, CA