Exhaust Photos

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

Damo
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Exhaust Photos

Post by Damo »

I realise this has been dealt with before, but I'm considering a new can on my KR and I was wondering if anyone can post photos of anything fitted to the bike. Some photos on old posts are no longer available to view. In particular, DJ previously posted some pics I would love to see.

Damo
big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

Bill
'07 R1200RT
Damo
Basic User

Post by Damo »

Thanks Bill. A lot more activity elsewhere i guess. Such a shame.

Damo
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Damo...where abouts down under are you?

I'll dig through my old pics and re post some for you...is there anything in particular you're after?

DJ
Damo
Basic User

Post by Damo »

Thanks DJ,

Pretty much any images you might have. I'm after look and sound more than anything else in a can (more power would be nice, but pretty much unnecessary), so how they actually look when fitted to the bike is probably what I'm hoping to see. I'm thinking probably something in carbon, although my local dealer on the sunshine coast was recently trying to push me towards titanium as he claimed the surface and finish look better for longer. Oh yeah, I live in the northern suburbs of Brisbane (although have clocked up around 20 years down in Vic)

Cheers

Damo
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Here's a few....I'm sure I have more pics somewhere.......I need to sort through my pictures and put them in folders..thet will make looking for pics easier.

DJ

I know this is not a KR but I've seen the same can on one..just can't find the pic.

I like the Lazer cans...expecally the race can with its smaller and not round or oval shape.

rivi7777
Basic User

Post by rivi7777 »

Laser stubby:

Ian
Basic User

Post by Ian »

I am thinking of swapping the factory can off my R and want to get a aftermarket can - does anyone have any suggestions or previous experience they could pass on!
Ian

DaveNZ
Basic User

Post by DaveNZ »

Hi everyone!

I got one of the BMW/Laser cans and I love it! Especially without the baffle!

and here's the BMW Sport Silencers Brochure

I've got more photos if you want,

Dave
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Hi Dave...welcome aboard...nice bike.. :smt023 ..well..what I can see of it.. :D..thanks for the picture of the exhaust.

DJ
DaveNZ
Basic User

Post by DaveNZ »

Thanks Deej!

Here's a photo of the whole bike. At speed. With a fat guy on it!

Dave
Damo
Basic User

Post by Damo »

Thanks for all the input and photos. I took the plunge yesterday and fitted a carbon fibre Akropovic same as in the first photo posted by DJ. This was the pipe I'd had in mind all along, but just wanted to see if anything else could tempt me off course.

Very happy. Looks great (especially on black/yellow KR), sounds great, and if I'm not mistaken I feel a nice shot in the arm as far as performance is concerned. Highly recommended!

Damo.
big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

Is it too loud?? Someone on another bd. fitted a titanium Akropovic can, and he thinks it's too loud. I like that can also and can't decide now.
Bill
'07 R1200RT
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Bill...I've heard the carbon fibre Akropovic and it sounds great..it didn't sound too loud to me..and I like the angle at the leading edge of the can.

It seems to blend in with the pipe better than the others.

DJ
big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

yeah, the area near where the can slips on is kinda fugly on some cans.
Bill
'07 R1200RT
Damo
Basic User

Post by Damo »

I don't think it's too loud, although it has a kind of rumble to it at idle which seems to penetrate concrete walls!

Sounds great while riding, with a particularly nice little burble on overrun. In my opinion some exhausts do sound too loud, whereas this one has a nice authorative, sporty 'high quality' air to it. I suppose if the neighbours start complaining I could always consider putting the end baffle back in. Actually, I haven't even heard it with the baffle in place, but it would seem a shame to muffle such a lovely sound!

Damo
big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

Cool. We in USA don't get the baffle option... I may go for it anyway.
Bill
'07 R1200RT
DaveNZ
Basic User

Post by DaveNZ »

I know you're going the akrapovic route, but you still may be able to remove the baffle on the "street legal" version. My Laser slip-on was the BMW-provided version, in which the street legal baffle is riveted in place. The after-market version of the same pipe comes with the standard as well as a "sport" baffle, which is a bit louder, and a screw to hold them in place and allow for easy changeover.

It was a 10min job to drill out the rivet and chuck the baffle on the workbench. WFO, baby! I've found a suitable screw, and the only time the baffle goes back in is when the boss rides on the back! It sounds awesome!

Maybe other USA Akra-owners can verify if there's a rivet holding in the baffle on their cans?

Dave
Bry
Basic User

Post by Bry »

I'll second that Dave, got the duotone laser on mine as well... Sounds fantastic! :twisted:

Bry
I work so much to afford the toys I don't have time to use!
Damo
Basic User

Post by Damo »

The Akrapovic baffle isn't even riveted in place. It's secured with a screw which has a tiny spot weld to hold it in place. Very simple job to remove it.

Damo