R1150R Battery Replacement Problems

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

rustypomeroy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

R1150R Battery Replacement Problems

Post by rustypomeroy »

Just had to change the battery in my R1150R. Manual says that battery change may reset electronics, and may cause engine to run roughly. It suggests revving engine to full throttle a couple of times. I did that but the engine still runs roughly, and after about five minutes the catalytic converter was glowing red. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Rusty
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Re: R1150R Battery Replacement Problems

Post by iowabeakster »

Resetting the throttle position sensor should be done when the engine is not running.

reset procedure:
pull out fuse #5 for several seconds, to clear memory
key on, do NOT start engine
open throttle fully a couple times
key off

...if the problem remains, Throttle posistion sensor(TPS) is not the problem.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
rustypomeroy
Basic User

Post by rustypomeroy »

Engine off, huh? Well I guess that might be the problem. Would have been cool if the manual made that clear.

Thanks Beakster. Happy trails.
FloridaBeakster
Lifer

Post by FloridaBeakster »

Make sure the throttle cable on the right side is fully seated inside its ferrel at the throttle body. DAMHIK
-Mike

'02 R1150R
'88 R100RS
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

You need to ride for a tank or two of gas for the Motronic to re-establish the base fueling map based on TPS and other factors. Don't agonize over it - just be patient.

1. Motronic reset occurs any time you remove the battery power. Pulling Fuse #5 is superfluous if you have changed the battery.
2. The procedure is to turn the key on, leave engine off. Fully twist throttle to full stop and release 2 or 3 times. This sets a mechanical-electrical relationship for the Motronic to use as a baseline.
3. On reassembly of the bike after replacing battery (or any under tank efforts) insure the fuel lines are properly reconnected, vent and return hoses correctly assembled, throttle cables fully seated. and all connectors reconnected.
4. Moving the tank can cause residual gas crud to foul the fuel filter or various inside the tank hoses may be jostled out of place. Another headache, but not a crisis - simply recheck everything.
5. Lesser potential problems: air filter housing fully seated and snorkel properly reinstalled; spark plug covers still properly seated (underlying caps, coils, etc); no pinched, frayed, or broken wires found.

Finally, almost all problems induced by removing the tank and replacing it will show in the first 100 miles of steady riding. Short rides don't accomplish this.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
r1150r hooligan
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by r1150r hooligan »

ok... similiar incident today. tried all items listed. what causes the cat to glow????? :-k
04 - R1150R
04 - R1150RT
02 - Honda VTX 1800C
r1150r hooligan
Basic User

Post by r1150r hooligan »

ok - so revisited all possible areas where problems could have started... guess i was in tooo much of a hurry on work day... thought i checked that the cables were seated well. i missed one bigger than :x ... anyway all fixed and Running Great!!! thanks for all your help. as a note i treid to post a couple of pics to show how easy it was to miss... not able to do???? any input as to how to post a couple of pics?
04 - R1150R
04 - R1150RT
02 - Honda VTX 1800C
Snowymountainsmick
Basic User

Post by Snowymountainsmick »

My R1150GS has been running like a dog since I replaced the battery. It ran out of road registration last week, I will attack it again shortly. Thanks for a few hints.

I might try removing fuse 5 rather than pulling the battery again.
hhlebar
Basic User

Post by hhlebar »

As floridabeakster mentioned before, "make sure the throttle cable on the right side is fully seated inside its ferrel at the throttle body"!. It is enough that 3 or 4 mm of cable is out of it's seat and engine will work badly, or even wouldn't start. That can easily happen while disconnecting tank quick-connect hoses (as I just did).
Thanks for all suggestions!
SteveJJ
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1113

Post by SteveJJ »

rustypomeroy wrote:Just had to change the battery in my R1150R. Manual says that battery change may reset electronics, and may cause engine to run roughly. It suggests revving engine to full throttle a couple of times. I did that but the engine still runs roughly, and after about five minutes the catalytic converter was glowing red. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Rusty
Been there, done that! Check the throttle cables where they join the throttle bodies, mine had one of them mis-seated. Instead of bottoming out the shield into the recess or cup, the edge caught on the rim, opening one throttle wider than the other. Simple fix, drastic problem, scary to see the red glow!
2003 R1150R
2007 DL650 "weeStrom"
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

Anytime it runs on 1 cylinder at part throttle and the catbox glows red, the right side throttle cable got dislodged as you struggled with the fuel line QDs when the fuel tank was removed/replaced. Here is what they are talking about. Click on thumbnail below for larger pics.

BTW, will the member that shot that photo please PM me with a link to this post so I can discretely give the proper credit in a watermark?
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--