Fast idle issue

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Soliton

Fast idle issue

Post by Soliton »

I had issue balancing my throttle bodies. They alway idled high, one needed the BBAS stopped shut and the other was open about two turns and they would still idle at 1300 rpm.

Some investigation showed that the BMW dealership doing the services had been less than rigorous, at zero input from the bar both throttle bodies were under constant tension (zero slack at the bodies). In essence the throttle bodies were always being pulled open a wee bit.

Some time properly adjusting the bar and body free play to the recommended 1-2mm and the DIY water manometer got everything in good order but there is one strange secondary issue. The fast idle no longer works correctly. I pull the lever on and it it no longer pulls the cable far enough to open the throttle bodies. I can see it move a little but not enough to engage and open them.

Rolling out the adjuster at the bar will not tighten the cable sufficiently even at full extension.

Could the fact that the whole shebang was previously under constant tension have stretched the cable? or may something have moved about/come loose in the Bowden junction when I was doing the TB adjustments/balance.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I tried to slide out the Bowden box to check the cabling, but either the Clymer manual appears to either miss some steps or I'm not getting the full picture. It is not as simple as depress the catch and slide it out to inspect. Before I go fiddling with it I would like to consider the less fiddly and invasive activities.

After the LED indicator debacle I have learned to check here first. It save time, sanity and reduces the use of salty language.

Rs,

Sol
"Better to live rich than die rich."
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Fast idle issue

Post by riceburner »

It could be that something has stretched. I can't remember if there's a secondary adjustment at the junction box or not.

I HAVE replaced the entire cable set in the past (Or did I just strip it down.... can't remember). Either way - some delving would appear to be in order.

I'd suggest starting at the fast-idle lever though - it could be something like the cable end has stretched just at that point? Be VERY careful taking the lever assembly apart - there IS a ping-f**it in there which will disappear if you're not careful (a small ball-bearing which provides that 'catch' which holds the fast-idle at it's half-way point).
Last edited by riceburner on Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Fast idle issue

Post by riceburner »

(accidental quote, but can't delete it)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life