A Look Inside

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

rchop
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

A Look Inside

Post by rchop »

Have you ever wondered what the inside of your motor looks like. It's surprisingly simple.

CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Have you ever wondered what the inside of your motor looks like?
rchop, Yes, I have, but so far have resisted taking mine apart that far to satisfy my curiosity. Maybe some Winter day to drill and tap an oil sump hole for the Daytona's temp sender.
I'm guessing you're doing bearing replacements . . . . or were the camchains "stretched" trying to loosen the cam sprocket bolts?
BTW, thanks for the pic.
--CycleRob--
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
marko
Basic User

Post by marko »

.........yeah, looks simple.........I bet if i tried to do that i would
still have parts left over when i had reassembled it! :lol: :shock:
r1150r.net Discerning discussion and BMW coffee
rchop
Lifer

Post by rchop »

I guess you could say I'm doing replacements :wink: Since I already have the title and registration for the donor bike, I have decided to take the new parts out of the new short block purchased on eBay and install them in the 1996 engine block. They are all compatible and this way I will have a new engine with matching numbers.
Regarding the temp sender, you could easily retap the factory sender location and put in a pipe tee if you still need the factory sensor.
The sender location is easy to retap to standard pipe thread. The pic below shows both the sender location A and the oil cooler inlet pipe location B retapped to NPT pipe thread. Both A and B join together in a common gallery that connects to C on the front of the block. These locations can be drilled and tapped and cleaned through C without splitting the block or contaminating the oil system

rchop
Lifer

Post by rchop »

Here is a pic of the new block with the temp sender A, the oil cooler inlet B and the crankcase breather C retapped with new connectors. This was done before my last trip to DMV and my decision to keep the original number case.

rchop
Lifer

Post by rchop »

The old block cleaned up pretty good. I used a pressure washer, scrub brush, sponge with a mild scotchbrite pad and industrial strength degreaser. Finished it off with a soft rag and laquer thinner. Took me all day to do it and I have a serious case of dishpan hands Remind me to get rubber gloves next time

It now has all the internal parts from the new block

Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

Rchop, why are you doing all of this???? Or have I missed something.
Dean-O
Member #33
beekstersocal
Lifer

Post by beekstersocal »

i only have one word for you randy NARLY!!!! :o
ride it like you stole it
rchop
Lifer

Post by rchop »

Deans BMW wrote:Rchop, why are you doing all of this???? Or have I missed something.
Do you remember this Dean?

Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

Ah yes, now I remember, your projects are fantastic.
Dean-O
Member #33
bakernks
Basic User

very cool pics

Post by bakernks »

You mean that little bit of stuff had me wailing down the Kansas Turnpike today for 200 miles at 90 m.p.h?

It's almost scary seeing no-mans-land. Somewhere in Germany, Fritz is writing in a large loose leaf book, noting, Achtung, infidel in America has touched this, and that, and Nein!! not the super secret Doo-Hichem too!!
2 spark BMW's: '04 R1150R, '05 F650GS
Airman1

Turnpike'n

Post by Airman1 »

Baker,

You're a braver man then I am to wail down the Kansas turnpike. They used to check times when you punched your ticket in and out to see if the elapsed time was too short.

And back to the subject, I love Rchop's custom. It would be great to take it on one of those Harley rides wouldn't it ? I just noticed the "softail" looking frame member. It's a class build. I can see myself with a black one.

Bob's BMW is playing around with the idea of offering it as a custom, is he not Rchop ?
rchop
Lifer

Post by rchop »

One of the long lasting features of the BMW boxer motor is it's simplicity. The only thing complicated about your bike is it's engine management system and the later model brake systems.

This one will be black when it is done and yes...I will be riding it with my Harley friends :lol:
I have talked to Bob but, nothing is set in stone yet.
bakernks
Basic User

ha ha

Post by bakernks »

Yes, I've known about the ticket time trap. I beat that merely by stopping for Diet Pepsi and a restroom break. I'm not beating the elapsed time, just having more fun doing the same old drive. And while 85-90 may sound like high speed, it's just amazing on Saturday mornings how many gold Cadillac STS there are going to K.C., grampa with the cruise set at 90, granma reading the Wall Street Journal, and I'm passed by this set routinely.
rchop
Lifer

Post by rchop »

Just finished the rear end setup. Polished the brake, repainted and resealed the differential, strut and swingarm and reassembled with stainless fasteners and new pivot bearings.
Here is a pic:

Randy
rchop
Lifer

Post by rchop »

Had to make a cover for the rear wheel to hide all the holes. I finally found a Corvette spinner that caught my eye. Of course, I had to make an adaptor for it :P .

I welded the center tube to a plate I made with the bolt holes and polished it all.

Here it is installed on the wheel:

rchop
Lifer

Post by rchop »

Here is the adaptor that bolts onto the BMW differential and takes a modified Harley style wheel.

rchop
Lifer

Post by rchop »

I couldn't get the 5 bolt pattern of the Harley wheel to fit into the 4 bolt circle of the BMW adaptor so. I re-drilled the Harley wheel with a larger 4 bolt pattern and filled the extra holes.

bakernks
Basic User

final drive

Post by bakernks »

That final drive is just beautiful. You are one talented person.
The Velvet Monkey
Basic User

Post by The Velvet Monkey »

All I can say is....MORE! GIVE US MORE!!!
2004 50R a.k.a. "Hiedi"

No!!! Bad monkey!!