Old Fourm members

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

kuip
Lifer
Donating Member #: 17

Re: Old Fourm members

Post by kuip »

I joined in 2005. I never did end up getting a R1150R but finally purchased a R1200R Classic. Beautiful bike and lots of fun.
I get a different bike quite often and just recently purchased a 2016 R1200R WC model. Quite a few others in between.
I agree the forum isn't as active as remember it being in the old days.
Mollygrubber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 741

Post by Mollygrubber »

I joined in '09. I've been through a fair few bikes since my R12R, but in hindsight it was probably the one I should have kept... oh well.
Good to see Deilenberger still kicking around on here. You're a fixture, man lol.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

2010 F800GS
Member #741
uncle BS
Basic User

Post by uncle BS »

still here, have the 08 with 60,000 miles. Still unreliable as ever despite fanatical maintenance bike hasn't ran trouble free not 6 mths in the 11 yrs since i bot it. Gas tank rusted out 2 yrs ago- abs gone out 2nd time 4 yrs ago- 3 fuel pumps - & on & on-- truely a pos.
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Back in the fall of 2002 I had just bought a 2003 R1150R and was checking out web forums which was a fairly new and exciting concept then. I ran across this fellow on a Harley forum. Patrick! He suggested I come over to R1150R.org so I did. My bike was traded at 80 some odd thousand miles in 2009 for my current F650GS Twin. A young BMW auto mechanic ended up with my RR bike and was a member here at one point. May still be, but I haven't heard from him in a couple of years.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Boxer wrote:Back in the fall of 2002 I had just bought a 2003 R1150R and was checking out web forums which was a fairly new and exciting concept then. I ran across this fellow on a Harley forum. Patrick! He suggested I come over to R1150R.org so I did. My bike was traded at 80 some odd thousand miles in 2009 for my current F650GS Twin. A young BMW auto mechanic ended up with my RR bike and was a member here at one point. May still be, but I haven't heard from him in a couple of years.
Boxer! One of the originals! Good to see you here.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Newportcycle
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

I joined in 2013, the same year that I bought my hold over 2011 R1200R. Just passed 52,500 miles coming back from the MOA National Rally Monday. The bike is running better now than ever. I've had a couple issues which though disappointing were easily fixed. Transmission input seal and counter balance seal went bad at 28k miles, replaced seals and clutch disk ABS sensor went bad, replaced. Replaced both oxygen sensors. She's about ready for disks and pads. I'm on my fourth fuel strip, seems I get to replace every year with tires. Wife keeps pushing me to get a new bike, I cannot for the life of me imagine a better handling machine.
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Newportcycle wrote:I joined in 2013, the same year that I bought my hold over 2011 R1200R. Just passed 52,500 miles coming back from the MOA National Rally Monday. The bike is running better now than ever. I've had a couple issues which though disappointing were easily fixed. Transmission input seal and counter balance seal went bad at 28k miles, replaced seals and clutch disk ABS sensor went bad, replaced. Replaced both oxygen sensors. She's about ready for disks and pads. I'm on my fourth fuel strip, seems I get to replace every year with tires. Wife keeps pushing me to get a new bike, I cannot for the life of me imagine a better handling machine.
I can imagine. Go test ride a LC R1200R. It's incredible.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
Newportcycle
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

sjbmw wrote:I can imagine. Go test ride a LC R1200R. It's incredible.
I think it will be a lightly used RT, camhead, maybe a wet head. I'm surprised just how many there are on the market for some pretty short money. I'm wanting to pull a trailer, going to get a hitch fabricated and fitted to the '11 R1200r and see how it goes, if that works out ok, it will be a few years. In any event that bike will be with me forever, there will be no selling it, maybe a sidecar when I can no longer balance.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Update....103K on my '04. Runs like it did the day I got it 12/07 with 17K.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
pebmr
Basic User
Donating Member #: 655

Post by pebmr »

Joined in 08 with my 04 1150R. Replaced it last year with an 11 1200R Classic.
Beginning the refarkle phase now...
2004 R1150RA
Piedmont Red
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Just turned 73 this May and not as fast or rock stable as I used to be. Even passed up attending many of the recent bashes because of the long drive and serious dangers possible in the group "rides". I joined the original site on the day before the Sept 11, 2001 attacks so I've been in on helping solve a lot of the OilHead problems and passing on better service procedures. It's not just knowing what TO do, many times it is very important to know what NOT to do, as in winging-it maintenance. Compared to most motorcycles the OilHead is fairly simple and very easy to work on, with many similarities to cars. The belt driven solid state excited field car alternator, solenoid shifting flywheel pinion gear tooth direct drive electric starter, dual U-Joint shaft driven Hypoid gear rear drive, single disc hydraulic released dry clutch and the TeleLever front suspension that's very similar to every car's McPherson strut front suspension.

My F800ST just turned 11 years old in June. It has required 6 tires, oil & filter changes, 1 air cleaner and 1 each of a headlight, signal and brake light bulb. Two new Iridium spark plugs are still waiting to be changed. I blame a much bigger bodywork, mirror, windscreen, airbox and battery removal "job" than is needed for the OilHead's exposed spark plugs. I used the large BMW fuel pump removal tool to remove the fuel pump to retrieve a fuel spout reducer that fell inside during my usual home refuelings. The pump assembly is a gorgeous piece of engineering and it'll come out again for better Hi-Res pics suitable for the Fuel Pump Removal post-to-be. That's it for its' 34K miles, low because it is not used much for long trips in the last 6 or 7 years. Still gives me a grin when I start it up and ride it (0--3 times/week, year round) on errands and medium 2-up rides to our favorite bacon cheeseburger restaurant (Marlowe's) 40 minutes away.

I retired at 58 from working with my nephew at out NJ motorcycle shop (he's still there) and moved to the South where there is a kinder, much better relaxing life. Still working on bikes but not many. What is really active is 1 cylinder engine power equipment from neighbors/friends. 2 non running Ryobi trimmers this week. Also, I'm due for a very informative post in Off-Topic about my Yamaha & Wen 2KW inverter generators to include take-apart pics and a Volt/Amp/Hz dual instrument load test video. Other than that, been watching a LOT of TV during the business/restaurant Covid19 shut-downs. Have even downloaded several 1 hr shows I missed . . . how sad is that? Its a good thing I have my wife Ann and dog Buddy to make everything better 24/7.

BTW, I am available for no fee On-The-Job consultation via FaceTime if you get in a jam working on your bike. Private message me for my cell number, preferably at least 3 days before the job.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Here it is with September nearly gone. I sold my '04 R 5 months ago with 103K and bought a garage kept '05 RT. And then on July 1st I laid it down on gravel at an intersection on my way to work. Broke Fib & Tib in my right leg. No really visible damage to bike thankfully. So tomorrow is 9-24. If all goes well I just might throw my leg back over the bike and give it a go. I've been actively going thru rehab and all is going well. The great weather of late is killing me!

And oh......I think I've been here near 15 years now. I'm old. But a few ladies love me.......
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

sjbmw wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:05 pm I miss DJ Downunder.
Me too.

I still have the Australian made rear wheel plug that I bought either from him, or via his advice.

According to this forum software I joined on Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:54 am. So - that would be about a year after I bought my first Rockster, and well into the ownership of my 2nd, of 4. (Also had a Triumph T595 Daytona and a K1200R in that time, but came back to the Rockster in the end!). I can't remember if I was on a previous version of the forum!

This place has always been the friendliest of the BMW fora that I've found, and most interesting to keep up with. I'm really sad that I couldn't get to meet SweatMark and Hyja1 this year when the pandemic killed my visit to the US, Mark even offered to let me ride his Rockster - an offer that I was totally blown away by.

It seems that this forum has generated a proper community of people who care for each other, which is the way it should be, and I hope we can all keep it going by encouraging new members to the community and keeping in touch regularly.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life