shocks

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

AndyK
Basic User

shocks

Post by AndyK »

I have a '99 R1100R with 37K miles, and am in need of new(er) shocks. I am reluctant to spend $1500+ on shocks for a bike worth maybe $3500. I'd appreciate any advice on new or used shocks, brands that are good and good values, good places to shop, etc. Or should I just trade in for an R1150R before spending more on this bike that I love. Thank you.
Fuel90
Basic User

Re: shocks

Post by Fuel90 »

http://www.le-suspension.com/services/shocks.html

Those guys will rebuild and revalve the stockers.
Heres a good thread on rebuilding and re-valving stock shocks.
http://www.bmwforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=4127.0
AndyK
Basic User

Post by AndyK »

Fuel 90,
Great advice - thank you. I'll contacted them right away. It might be a great solution.
AndyK
Commainz
Basic User

Post by Commainz »

Just take a look at EBAY or other market places, and look as well for the german sites. You will find much cheaper shocks used or nearly new, and even new substitutes from White Power or other venders might be much cheaper as the ones you have looked at.

Regards
Stefan
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by omg1010 »

I got myself a used rear Oehlins (for my R1100R) for EUR 380 at ebay Italy and a new wilbers front shock for EUR 320 EUR. It's expensive but considering a new price of EUR 690 for a rear oehlins and EUR 425 for the wilbers front shock I got good value for my money.

However if you are into saving your bucks I would look for some used original shocks which are not too old (maybe from beemerboneyard.com) as you would probably not feel the difference between the originals and some deluxe aftermarket shocks (like those from oehlins and wilbers). You'd feel the difference on the race-track and if you're a performace rider but not as a leisure cruiser ... One considerable difference is that the oehlins and wilbers can be overhauled whilst the originals cannot ...

Kind regards from Germany
Oliver

P.S. Happy festive days for all members of this forum!
jfranz
Basic User

Post by jfranz »

I plan to experiment this winter. BMW stock shocks are Showa, which is one of my favorite brands. An important factor for a good suspension is that the spring rates be close for bike and rider. I always felt the stock R1100R shocks were too soft. While scouting replacements, I noticed on the Hagon site (another good alternative) that the replacement shock part numbers were the same for the R and the RS.

I thought about that for a while. Then I began searching eBay for R1100RS shocks for my R. Recently purchased a good looking set (front and rear) with 23K miles for a very decent price. Now I just have to install them this Winter!

Haven't heard of this before, and I hope it works out!