1998 75th An. R1100R - Help me set it up for touring

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

chickenlegs
Basic User

1998 75th An. R1100R - Help me set it up for touring

Post by chickenlegs »

I just bought a 1998 75th Anniversary R1100R, all stock, 4K on the odo. Included, but not mounted are some Touratech Panniers that Id like to mount. Plans are to use this bike two up long distance with some tent camping, much like I used my Roadking and Roadglide.

Needed are (the list is getting shorter):
Rear rack
Hand guards
Cylinder head guards with some type of hwy peg.
Riding jackets that are versatile with different seasons

Im looking forward to the different style of riding as Ive logged over 120K on HD touring platforms. Im sure I'll have to fab some of this to work as there isnt a strong aftermarket for the 1100r (at least that Im aware of). Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Chicken
Last edited by chickenlegs on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ton1959
Basic User

Re: 1998 75th An. R1100R - Help me set it up for touring

Post by Ton1959 »

I have got a 1999 R1100R. The biggest improvements I have done are the Hyperpro progessive springs and the Moto techniques bar risers.
I also had the seat improved as the foam that BMW uses is very soft and the seat cover makes you slide forwards all the time. I usually use a carbtune synchronise the bike and have fitted iridium plugs from NGK. The standard springs are really rubbish but when you use the Hyperpro springs they will improve the suspension a lot even with the standard shockers.
I have the handguards too from BMW. It took some time to fit them because they are a bad fit but it can be done.
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by omg1010 »

A fine bike you got! Windshields are plenty available. Maybe consider the original BMW windshield? Same for topcase (you need the rear luggage rack). Would also suggest you get yourself the systems cases from BMW and the holders (check out on ebay for that).

With regards to the riding gear I'd suggest you have a look at the Rukka stuff. Plenty of $$$ but applicable for all season riding. Excellent stuff.

Brgds
Oliver
chickenlegs
Basic User

Post by chickenlegs »

What options do I have with hand guards? The bars are cast and not traditional round so the easy stuff isnt easy. Suggestions? Also I need a windshield, but there again I dont have any brackets and those odd cast bars.
moto-m
Basic User

Post by moto-m »

That's why you need the BMW screen and handguards - they're made to fit those bars - no hassle.

Mike
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

chickenlegs wrote:What options do I have with hand guards? The bars are cast and not traditional round so the easy stuff isnt easy. Suggestions? Also I need a windshield, but there again I dont have any brackets and those odd cast bars.
R1100GS handguards set, part 71 60 2 340 208

Find in section 32 Steering within
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/ ... d=05012012

We used these on our 96 R850R and '01 R1100R. The guards attach to the controls left & right (clutch perch and brake master). As mentioned, options are limited for the 1100 bikes with OE cast handlebars.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
ICBMguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by ICBMguy »

I've got a 20" Cee Bailey screen I'd be willing to part with, I'm using the mounting hardware though so if you can find a set of the brackets send me a PM. My ride has the GS model hand guards installed (BMW OEM) and they work great, so plus one on the recommendation there.
2000 R1100R Graphite & Ice Blue "Jasper"
chickenlegs
Basic User

Post by chickenlegs »

Thanks for the replys.

As for a shield I have a Madstad Windshield system lying around from my Roadglide. I started building some brackets yesterday and plan to cut down the shield to match the r1100r. Ive placed a top cross bar with the mounts which will offer up a place to put a GPS, phone, etc.
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

I spent 6 years 2 up camping with my son, his ages from 11-16, on my R1150R.
The hardest part was hauling gear for 2 people without the pillion seat open.
Check out Jo's UPac. Mine is old and the seams and zippers are still like new.
The amount of stuff you can ram into these things is incredible, and when done, it becomes passenger armrests.
My kid would fall asleep in the back, and never budge.

http://www.josupac.com/faq.html

The R1100R has the ugliest OEM backrest I have ever seen, and it's $350 bucks!

You didn't mention if you had a stock seat, but if you do, the first few days of your trip will let you know BMW stock seats suck. I have a Sargent seat, with the Pirates Lair backrest. (and even added a beadrider pillion)

Luckily Sargent has a good looking seat/backreast combo for the R1100R.

http://www.sargentcycle.com/bmwbrest.htm

The upac will wrap around the backrest nicely too.

Not cheap, but a total solution that a serious road tripper would get a lot of "mileage" out of.
Take it from me, you do NOT want your passenger complaining about the pain caused by a stock BMW seat on the first day of a multi-day road trip. If your passenger has not spent 5-6 hours in the saddle on your new bike yet, do it ASAP.
Depending on butt types, the Sargent might become a necessity. It was for us.

Intercoms, I have Scala Q2 picked up on close out..... they work well.
It's a bike to bike comm now, my son is now 19 and riding.
I think they are up to Q4's now. If you have the money for wireless, skip the wires.

If not, I got a used Autocomm wired one with 2 headsets that is for sale. PM me.

Search the board for Jacket threads.
I like FirstGear for it's mid priced quality, others like other stuff.
If you have any size to yourself like I do, (not built like a skinny German) try jackets on in person before buying.
Manufacturer sizing is a crapshoot on boots, jackets, and pants.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
abe18015
Basic User

Post by abe18015 »

Check out Richa for jacket and pants good stuff
chickenlegs
Basic User

Post by chickenlegs »

Okay, got the windshield mounted, now Im playin with shapes/setting to find the sweet spot. Yesterday I put down 200 miles with my wife. The stock seat does suck!! I looked at the sargent web site but didnt find a listing for the 1100r. Gonna need something before any long trip. I bought a First Gear Leather Tex. Seems to work well put I think it will be too hot for summer use. May try the Tour Master Intake jacket. I also bought a couple Arai Signet Q and Scala wireless. Still tweaking both of these also. All in all though this bike is light, nimble, and fast (having come from a Harley Dresser what isnt right?) 45MPG also, but yeah could use a bigger tank.
chickenlegs
Basic User

Post by chickenlegs »

Got my Touratech panniers mounted. I think it will be a good addition. My only concern is bag height. Im wondering if these will hinder cornering? I could mount them 2" higher if needed. Anyone know the difference between the GS and 11R in relation to rear frame height/clearance? The mounts are the ones used on the GS, but mounted right up on the R.
chickenlegs
Basic User

Post by chickenlegs »

The start: An old windshield system I had sitting around. I bent some conduit and welded some spacers to bolt the base shield to

Top bar: Nut-cert added to bolt GPS mounting bracket to, also leaving room for other gadgets

Side view: Upper and lower brackets with base shield installed

Before cutting base shield to match bike:
chickenlegs
Basic User

Post by chickenlegs »

Large touring shield installed. Now I can bolt most any shield to use with the Madstad Robo Brackets:

Touratech Zega panniers after I painted them and installed. Brackets from Touratech for the 1100GS bolted right up:

I ended up raising the bags 2" by redrilling the mounting holes. Noticeable difference between the two, before and after. I was concerned about cornering and I also wanted the bags more level with the seat. Looks much better I think. Should be able to haul a load.
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by omg1010 »

My opinion? These touratech cases are causing eye-cancer! They don't fit with the R1100R. The windshield is a nice piece of work. How does the bike behave with the shield? And do you experience noise/turbulence?

The original luggage rack for the R1100R is no longer available and a very rare piece ... Just to warn you.

Brgds
Oliver
M31100R
Basic User

Post by M31100R »

Hey chickenlegs......enjoying watching the progression. Looks like you have a garage that's littered with toys too. Is that a R32 to the right of the bike in one shot?
chickenlegs
Basic User

Post by chickenlegs »

omg1010 wrote:My opinion? These touratech cases are causing eye-cancer! They don't fit with the R1100R. The windshield is a nice piece of work. How does the bike behave with the shield? And do you experience noise/turbulence?

The original luggage rack for the R1100R is no longer available and a very rare piece ... Just to warn you.

Brgds
Oliver
As for the ammo cans its more function less form. The side opening BMW cases wont tote the note for me for two up tent camping. Ive had eye candy pimp juice bikes but this one Im staying utilitarian. My last Roadglide modded by myself:
HDeVille

Thanks for the compliment on the shield. It works pretty well. I have 3 different shields that Im playing with: The large one for touring, a smaller one of the same shape and a narrow GS shield. So far I can get out the turbulence but have yet to find a quiet spot for my full face helmet. The full face is new for me, so Im trying to find out whats normal in relation to wind noise.

As for the rear luggage rack I plan to build one. I have a corbin seat in route and plan to see whats needed or doable behind it.
chickenlegs
Basic User

Post by chickenlegs »

M31100R wrote:Hey chickenlegs......enjoying watching the progression. Looks like you have a garage that's littered with toys too. Is that a R32 to the right of the bike in one shot?
Not a R32 its an 03 Anniversary GTI, and yes too many toys.
chickenlegs
Basic User

Post by chickenlegs »

I needed some support or luggage rack to hold my T-bag. Two up tent camping sure eats up space fast. The T-bag uses the backrest as support but still needs something to hold up the bottom. I decided to build a rack that I could unbolt when not in use to keep things clean. So I started out with a CB antenna mirror mount cut in half to bolt to the Touratech bag mounts, then bend some tubing and welded bolts to the end:
chickenlegs
Basic User

Post by chickenlegs »