New F800GT

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

New F800GT

Post by Boxer »

Anybody got any new info on the new F800GT replacing the ST? More like a small RT with standard bags and more touring protection....with belt drive. Looks good.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2012/ ... mw-f800gt/
touchton
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: New F800GT

Post by touchton »

Looking at the pictures, I really don't see much difference between the ST and GT.

Thad
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Oddly, the exhaust is higher (?) at the smaller sized muffler's front inlet and rear outlet. . . . on a Sport Touring bike . . . where it interferes more with the bags. It has more bodywork and lighter weight wheels. The ST rear wheel rim is pretty light to begin with but the new GT rear mag spokes almost look too thin to be strong enough. With the smaller muffler and lighter wheels it may weigh the same or be lighter. The riding position seems quite upright. A lighter GT model seems like a better choice than a heavier/larger RT model because of the 800cc's.

Reading write-ups in On-Line M/C mag websites they said "The F800ST did not sell well, but is very popular with it's owners". Yes, it is, and it will take a pretty remarkable newer BMW for me to trade-it-in. I had that same feeling for most of the 8 years I owned the R1150R, only with the ST the engine sounds/runs better and all the electronics are more satisfyingly modern. Maybe the $12K MSRP and 800cc's weren't the right numbers to make the F800ST a big seller, but what (non-chain drive) competition does it have from Japan or Europe?
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
MIXR
Basic User

Post by MIXR »

CycleRob wrote: Reading write-ups in On-Line M/C mag websites they said "The F800ST did not sell well, but is very popular with it's owners". Yes, it is, and it will take a pretty remarkable newer BMW for me to trade-it-in. I had that same feeling for most of the 8 years I owned the R1150R, only with the ST the engine sounds/runs better and all the electronics are more satisfyingly modern. Maybe the $12K MSRP and 800cc's weren't the right numbers to make the F800ST a big seller, but what (non-chain drive) competition does it have from Japan or Europe?
Interesting comments and I have to agree. The F800S I'm running (alongside my R1150GS Adventure) seems like such a perfect machine in many respects, but wasn't a big seller here either. The F800ST is reasonably popular and much loved by most owners, but the 800 cc market has always been an odd one to fill in the touring range. Aussies tend to go for the bigger capacity bikes. The lightweights have always struggled, and invariably had short lifespans in our marketplace. A 'GT' or updated 'ST' probably won't be the answer. I'm not even sure BMW even understand what the question is sometimes.

That aside, I do like the F800S so far. It's a fun bike and while purchased on a whim, it's ticking a lot of boxes for me. I just need to get out and do some bigger miles with it!
I ride an R1150GS Adventure with sidecar. IBA #39193
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

MIXR, One thing about M/C's that most people are not aware of is that the way their newly acquired bike handles is most likely NOT the best it can be . . . and with a worn out set of the wrong tires (like ME-880's) it can be really awful!
With the right tires (Z-6, Z-8, etc) and simple, almost inexpensive suspension mods/adjustments like GoldValves, 15W fork oil, forktube height readjustment(s) and correct spring preload adjustments . . . it can be "RaceBike perfect". That makes for a safer bike, IF you can keep the corner speed somewhat sane. How do you know if it's close to optimal settings? Easy. Does it go into a corner with just a faint amount of pinky finger counter-steer, stay on the line thru the curve even if you let go of the bars AND feel completely stable with zero drama and full traction even at near peg scraping lean angles? No? Then a tire/suspension sorting is needed.

Prior to retirement I had 6+ years shop experience modifying fork cartridges or damper rods to accommodate suspension kits and adjusting everything (preload, damping, forktube height, oil viscosity, shock length, even tire pressures) for the weight and riding style of the rider (street, street wacko, race, touring). Most of the time it was adjusting "all stock" bikes. Once you learn what each individual change does to the handling, you can ride a bike and know just what is out of adjustment . . . and after many repetitions, just how much to adjust what needs it. It's not rocket science, just simple science. With fully adjustable suspensions there are a 1,000 wrong answers possible by trial-n-error turn-the-screws experimentation. You would not believe how common (and dangerous!!) that is.

That said, it still took 4 adjust/change/ride sessions,working alone, to get my bike to the almost telepathic, functionally invincible handling it has now with front fork GoldValves, 15W fork oil, stock front springs, stock rear shock and Metzeler Z-8 Interacts. Most of that capability is built into the bike by BMW engineers and only needs a nudge in the right directions with a few hundred $$$ (that includes the tires). Even an 800cc bike can be a blast to own, while still being on par with bigger engined bikes on a curvy back road. I think it's the ideal size for weight/power/speed/handling, especially with it's amazingly low fuel consumption.

Unfortunately, The F800S and ST have cheap-o, under damped, non-adjustable front forks and only preload and damping adjustments for the rear shock. That makes front suspension mods harder to make, necessary to equally match the rear shocks optimized performance.

So, does your F800S make you feel fearless and invincible in the sharp/fast corners?
`09 F800ST

MIXR
Basic User

Post by MIXR »

CycleRob wrote:MIXR, So, does your F800S make you feel fearless and invincible in the sharp/fast corners?
Not as much as my old Roadster did. Or even the big GSA for that matter.

Funny thing was that I was talked into taking the S for a ride. I expected it to be uncomfortable and 'tippy' into the corners, much like the Honda Blackbird and my much older Ducati SS. It has that 'sporty' ride position and looks like it should handle like a sports bike. Great on a track, but not on 'real-world' mountain roads with washaways, blind corners and potholes.

Surprise was that it rode fine and felt good. Not uncomfortable at all. Zipped around the sharp bends with much more ease than I was expecting. I can live with the 800cc, bearing in mind that it has the same HP as my R and GSA (85), but a heck of a lot less weight and far better tyres than the GSA. Balance is good. Performance is good (but not startling). It works, unlike some far more expensive bikes I've ridden, owned or been on rides with.

It has the potential to be a fast bike in the hills. But - I agree with the comments on the suspension. A few hundred bucks from BMW would have made the S a real wolf in sheep's clothing. Mine will stay stock I think. It's not the primary machine and my love is still with the GSA. However, I am blessed by having a fantastic suspension guy here in town. He's already done wonders with the GSA, and I trust his work. Maybe it will end up in his shop if I start using it a lot.

Cheers, Mick.
I ride an R1150GS Adventure with sidecar. IBA #39193
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

MIXR wrote: I am blessed by having a fantastic suspension guy here in town. He's already done wonders with the GSA, and I trust his work.
You're a lucky guy! Most riders do not have that kind of local access to a good suspension pro. The "He's already done wonders with the GSA" quote above confirms what I was writing about, that when you get your new/used bike, the chances are great that the suspension is not properly set up for your weight and riding style. The internal damper rod front suspension, besides being inexpensive and decades old, has many solutions to improve it's damping performance.

OMG. I/we have hi-jacked this post for the F800GT ! [-X [-( #-o Getting back to the subject, Are you interested in a GT version of the F800 series?
--Better wind protection
--Integrated bags
--More upright riding position
--(?) adjustable windscreen
--(?) more electronic options
--More seat comfort
--More storage space

What say you?
`09 F800ST

Sherman1
Basic User

Post by Sherman1 »

touchton wrote:Looking at the pictures, I really don't see much difference between the ST and GT.

Thad

I agree I also feel not much difference in both. maybe they have some price difference. But I don't thing these small differences can lead a high increase in price. What do you say guys?
Last edited by Sherman1 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
touchton
Lifer

Post by touchton »

The article says is has a larger fairing, a high mounted exhaust, and new wheels. The 'integrated bags' look just like the bags I have on mine. Maybe they just mean the bags are standard equipment on this model. Marketing people like to throw catchy terms around for no real reason. I certainly don't have any interest in trading my F800ST in on the 'GT'. If they think they can make minor modifications and change a consonant in the model name to invigorate sales, they're living in a fantasy world. It's a damn fine bike the way it is. I just don't get their direction on this. Maybe when I see one I'll think differently.

Thad
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Yeah, I agree. It looks like the typical BMW method of changing the name. Just make a few mods and call it a GT instead of an ST. You noticed they did the same thing with the K touring bike. No more LT. Its a GT now. They did make a pretty big difference in THAT one going from 1200 to 1600, etc. but same philosophy, it looks like to me. It probably took the suits several days meetings around a big table to decide on it.
atractaspis
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 1059

Post by atractaspis »

It seems that there are quite a few new things though that make me now wish I would have waited a little longer.. I originally wanted an 800st ..but then fell for the 1200r which is one its way to me.. still can't stop looking at the 800 models though :) (dreaming of having enough money one day to get an 800 model as well)

The seating position is less sporty on the GT (higher handle bars and foot pegs adjusted)

here is a press kit from the BMW MOA forum (seems to me like quite a few changes): http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64369

an excerpt from the press kit:

Overview of new technical features:
Increased output of the F 800 GT as compared to predecessor model.
66 kW (90 bhp) at 8,000 rpm. (F 800 ST: 62.5 kW (85 bhp) at 8,000 rpm).
Newly designed trim in more dynamic look with further improved wind and weather protection. New paint finishes.
The latest generation of BMW Motorrad ABS, now as standard.
Automatic Stability Control ASC (ex works option / special accessory).
Electronic Suspension Adjustment ESA (ex works option / special accessory)
Convenient adjustment of rear spring mount using handwheel.
Suspension optimised in terms of ride stability and comfort.
New, lighter wheels in dynamic design.
Adapted ergonomics for increased touring comfort with higher handlebars and repositioned footrests.
Enhanced seating comfort for rider and passenger.
New handlebar switch panels and front brake fluid expansion tank.
New vibration-free and double-butted aluminium handlebars.
dingle with new dial faces for speedometer and engine speed display as * well as an extended range of information.
Load capacity increased by 11 kg to 207 kg.
New exhaust system with optimised heel protection.
Turn indicators in smoke grey.
Newly developed luggage system (special accessory).
New connection of BMW Motorrad Navigator IV to handlebar clamp (special accessory).
Power reduction to 35 kW (48 bhp) (ex works option / special accessory).

Post by SDMAX »

I predict you will be a much happier camper with the 1200R vs any BMW 800; they are simply different classes of bikes; I am not a fan of the BMW 800 motor; I find it rough. I have an R1200R and a Triumph 800 ABS which is the "roadie" and not the "XC"; the Triumph 800 triple is the amazing motor; truly the best thing about the bike.

The boxer motor on the R12 you have on order is the iconic BMW motor. You will be happy. When you take it in for your first service, try to get a BMW 800 loaner; you won't be able to wait to get your boxer motored bike back,

In Europe the 800 is cheaper to insure and license; I can't find anything that says what it weighs.
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

The BMW mottorad site put the F800GT up the day of unveiling.

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/bik ... rview.html

There has been a lot of clamoring for a mid range touring bike, as the 1600 GT is a monster.
I like this bike.
470 lbs, 69 mpg, will haul a lot of weight, belt drive (no more FD bearings), and a choice for a 30.1 inch seat height.

The only unknown is pricing, and that info is sealed tight. I am guessing around 14k loaded though.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
atractaspis
Double Lifer

Post by atractaspis »

SDMAX wrote:I predict you will be a much happier camper with the 1200R vs any BMW 800; they are simply different classes of bikes; I am not a fan of the BMW 800 motor; I find it rough. I have an R1200R and a Triumph 800 ABS which is the "roadie" and not the "XC"; the Triumph 800 triple is the amazing motor; truly the best thing about the bike.

The boxer motor on the R12 you have on order is the iconic BMW motor. You will be happy. When you take it in for your first service, try to get a BMW 800 loaner; you won't be able to wait to get your boxer motored bike back,

In Europe the 800 is cheaper to insure and license; I can't find anything that says what it weighs.

I can't wait to get my R1200R .. am on pins and needles...actually one of the things (besides I wasn't that much into the more sporty seating position) that made me fall in love with the R1200R after just having ridden the 800st was how much smoother the engine was. I just really wanted a more touring-like bike at first with less weight and great mpg... that's why I wanted the st originally.. but then once I sat on the R12 and realized I can still outfit it for touring when I wanted it to, I gave up on the 800st ... but I wonder if I would even have tested the R12 out if the 800GT was out at that time... :)

I was looking at the Triumph 800 .. but never test rode it ..so I guess I never gave it a chance before I fell for the R12 ... so many nice bikes out there..and so little money and time :doubt:

Post by SDMAX »

Wiki says the R1200RT is 500 lbs dry; vs what 470 lbs for the 800RT; Unless the BMW 800 makes the electric drill motor revs that the Triumph 800 does....well then....
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

sjbmw wrote:I like this bike.
470 lbs, 69 mpg, will haul a lot of weight, belt drive (no more FD bearings), and a choice for a 30.1 inch seat height.
That 69 MPG is easily attainable only if you do not have side cases, do not weigh too much over 160 lbs, speeds are 55 mph and under, take-offs are gentle like the normal flow of traffic and the tire pressures are 38F/42R. If your ready-2-ride weight exceeds 220 and your tail/side bags are loaded you'd be seeing 54--60 MPGs. My fuel economy varies from 60--62MPG in winter to 64--67 in summer. That's with only a small Givi tail trunk, moving with the traffic and staying off the posted 60, 65,70MPH (boring, center tire strip wearing) interstate highways. Riding fast with the eager "experienced" riders at the yearly Bashes it still exceeds 60MPG, uses a gallon less than the Boxers I rode with and doesn't require a tankbag removal to fill it up. It's funny how a fuel economy number Boxer motored bikes would LOVE to get; 55MPG . . . would be absolutely TERRIBLE for my bike - - - 58 being the worst it ever got on it's first new bike fill-up the summer of 2009. Some F800 riders routinely get 52--55MPG, but they really hammer on it, super-cruise and routinely keep the revs over 4,000.

Yes the R1200R Boxer motor is very different from the F800 series motor. It's a heavy hulking mass of Aluminum that isn't very powerful for it's 1200cc's. It's pushrod & rockerarm valve actuation and air/oil cooling limit that power output, but that should soon be changed if/when the water cooled DOHC Boxer engine from the new GS makes it into the R model Roadster. THEN you'll have some serious arm stretching performance, with a quieter running engine, quicker warm-ups and full operating winter engine temps even in below zero weather riding . . . . without overheating in summer traffic jams.

On my 1st road test of an F800ST after riding my R1150R to the dealer in 2009, it felt very lightweight, shifted smoothly and handled nicely like a smaller bike. I really liked the pleasant stock muffler sounds and the engine's throttle response at every throttle opening at every RPM, even the off throttle engine braking. By comparison, getting back on my 50R on the ride away was like driving a comfortable V-8 luxury car whose tall gearing always wants to go faster than all the speed limits. The memory of how impressed I was with the high-tech modern design of the F800ST changed my mind that day, knowing that the OilHead Boxer likely would some day eat it's transmission input shaft splines if I kept it for too long.

Even now, some 3.5 years and 20K miles later I still enjoy hearing the subdued brief whir of it's starter gearing and the way it goes up to 1,600 RPM then tapers down to a 1,250 RPM cold engine idle in about 5 seconds, emitting it's deep steady beat, a sound that to me qualifies as entertainment.
`09 F800ST

atractaspis
Double Lifer

Post by atractaspis »

I saw the first F800GT today at my dealer.. they just got two (orange and white) in and one already sold. Really like this bike. Still wouldn't exchange it for my R1200R (which arrived the same day the GTs arrived). Would I like the better fuel economy and a cheaper bike?! yes definitely. =D> As much as I loved the 800st when I test rode it, I did not fall in love with it the way I did with the R1200R. Just love the way the R handles and how smooth it is. Obviously that's just a personal preference. If I had the money the 800GT would already be standing next to my R1200R with my name tag on it as well! But unless I win the lottery, one bike will do for me.. the 800GT will just have to stay in the back of mind.

I hope that the GT that has not been sold yet will soon be a demo bike, so I can take it for a test ride. Want to know if it feels any different than riding the ST. I got to sit on it and the riding position seems a little more the way I would prefer it.

Post by OU812 »

Like...
Last edited by OU812 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

It's the F bike they should have made years ago.
Cause I would got one...Then.
Now I'm broke! :lol:
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

In the March Cycle World magazine the VP of BMW Motorrad said this about the F800ST and the new F800GT:

"The F800ST really didn’t have an identity. It was neither fish nor fowl. I don’t think people really got it. (I did!). So we took a long, hard look and turned it into a really good touring bike. The new F800GT is totally appropriate for the U.S. For one-up touring, it’s one of the great ones. With a single-sided swingarm, 90 horsepower, good wind and weather protection, hard cases, there’s nothing else like it."

You too can access the full article here:
http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/12/27/on ... orrad-usa/
There is limited free access to all the magazine articles On-Line.

About the F800GT, I agree. Who else makes a 90HP fuel efficient 800cc 2 cylinder sport touring bike? There is not any competition for the remarkable all around performance of the F800ST either.

Raising the muffler height on the F800GT makes no sense to me. It limits the left side capacity of the new "System Cases" now available for it.
Last edited by CycleRob on Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
`09 F800ST