New F800GT in My Garage

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

taosports
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

New F800GT in My Garage

Post by taosports »

It has been a long time since I've posted on this great forum, but just had to share this. I still own a 2004 R1150R, but after nearly 100,000 miles, it was time for an upgrade and the F800GT is just the perfect bike for me and how I like to ride.

More details as I get to know the bike and of course, pics coming soon!
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: New F800GT in My Garage

Post by sweatmark »

Welcome back!

The F800GT reminds me of a particular great ride day on Hwy 1, and chatting with a VFR800 rider who loved the mid-weight sports touring genre. By the looks of his tires, he was shredding that twisty pacific coast road with elegant abandon.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

If you bought it at SF, it's probably the one I sat on there.

Really liked its ergos.

I'm just over the hill in Pacifica, if you ever want to go for a cruise down the coast and up into the hills, or just a short ride for java, PM me.

I found the 800 GT to have a similar feel to the r12r.

Congrats on a fine ride! :)
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Hey, Michael,
Good on you!
I now, for a little while longer at least, have two roadsters under my roof.

Good luck with the GT.
Does it use the same cursed fuel strip as the r1200r?
And, I know you can do it...we need pictures!

How does the "personality" of the 800GT compare to the 1150? Apples to oranges?

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Michael, good to hear from you. I'm still looking at the F800GT to trade my F650GS for. I really need something more designed for touring. Can you report how the GT compares to the R1150R as far as highway touring comfort goes?

I continue to feel like I'm being "beat up" on the highway on my GS.
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

You sat on MY bike? :shock: Just kidding. When I bought mine, they had the Valencia Orange model as a demo. I had to wait a few weeks for mine, a white one with the comfort/safety package. Was worth the wait. :D
Snapping Twig wrote:If you bought it at SF, it's probably the one I sat on there.

Really liked its ergos.

I'm just over the hill in Pacifica, if you ever want to go for a cruise down the coast and up into the hills, or just a short ride for java, PM me.

taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

Thanks Mark. I've been so busy lately that I haven't had time to get out & ride much but I will. I love the lighter weight of my GT compared to my R1150R. Less top heavy and lighter wheels.
sweatmark wrote:Welcome back!

The F800GT reminds me of a particular great ride day on Hwy 1, and chatting with a VFR800 rider who loved the mid-weight sports touring genre. By the looks of his tires, he was shredding that twisty pacific coast road with elegant abandon.
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

Boxer wrote:Michael, good to hear from you. I'm still looking at the F800GT to trade my F650GS for. I really need something more designed for touring. Can you report how the GT compares to the R1150R as far as highway touring comfort goes?

I continue to feel like I'm being "beat up" on the highway on my GS.
Good to be back Phil. I have a lot of Slablog reading to do to catch up on all of your adventures. I"ve been so busy lately that I haven't had a chance to get out on a longer ride, but so far I'm really enjoying the GT. It fits me like a glove and I feel I can ride it all day in comfort. Will offer some more detailed comparisons to the R once I get some time and get through the 600 mile break in period.
Dr. Strangelove wrote:Hey, Michael,
Good on you!
I now, for a little while longer at least, have two roadsters under my roof.

Good luck with the GT.
Does it use the same cursed fuel strip as the r1200r?
And, I know you can do it...we need pictures!

How does the "personality" of the 800GT compare to the 1150? Apples to oranges?

John
Photos are coming John as soon as I can shoot my new bike in a worthwhile setting. The interior of my garage just won't do! I'm not familiar with the "cursed fuel strip" of the r1200 so I can't offer any opinions there. My biggest complaint so far with my bike is the paltry 4 gal tank. You would think a bike with a "GT" designation would hold a touring size tank. As soon as I get through the 600 mile break in, I'll be able to offer some comparisons to my 04 r1150r which I still have with just under 100,000 mile.
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

I thought that the GT gets up to 70mpg not too shabby, after 250+ miles I am ready to take break.
Let us know how it goes with your new bike and what kind of mpg,s you get after break-in. Ride Safe
Mike
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

taosports wrote:You sat on MY bike? :shock: Just kidding. When I bought mine, they had the Valencia Orange model as a demo. I had to wait a few weeks for mine, a white one with the comfort/safety package. Was worth the wait. :D
Snapping Twig wrote:If you bought it at SF, it's probably the one I sat on there.

Really liked its ergos.

I sat on the orange one.

White is an excellent choice!

When you get some time to ride, let me know.
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

The GT model replaces the old ST model. June 9th will be 4 satisfying years, 21,330 miles ownership for my F800ST. It still has the original BMW battery, now showing a slightly low 12.53V after sitting inside 4 days during the monsoon rains. No reason to trade-up for a new bike, for many years to come.

With my lifelong "new bike savings account" (every serious biker should have one!) I can get any new bike I want. When you make good bike choices and keep them 5--11 years, that account gets bigger, easier. Today, any future new bike I want would be the new F800GT equipped the way mine is now (CS, OBC, HHG, ZumoGPS, TailTrunk). The F800 twin better fits my riding needs:
--Ability to go crazy fast with confidence on curvy hilly roads.
--Engine/Transmission that is fun to use, any way it is ridden.
--Effortlessly, smoothly ride slow at 2,400 RPM in top gear with the traffic, showing 80+ MPG on LCD.
--Very fuel efficient.
--Flawless throttle response and minimal vibration.
--A modern, high tech, lightweight, handsome design.
--Belt FD better than a shaft FD. Chain FD is unthinkable.
--Mechanically quiet engine and pleasing exhaust note.
--Underseat plastic fuel tank never rusts or needs to be removed.
--Std gear position indicator, clock, redline shift lite, fuel and temp bar graphs.
--Only 3.2 qts engine oil to buy and change at 6,000 miles.

I just re-read the on-line Cycle World Magazine 2013 F800GT write-up again. They say the GT is a better solo SportTouring bike in many ways than the ST model it replaces - - - and that's a good motivator for anyone contemplating a new bike.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Bradkap
Basic User

Post by Bradkap »

I also have the F800GT. Coming off a 2010 1200 RT I got spoiled by the great ergos And comfort. I am curious as to comparisons with the r 1200 R. How is the wind protection on the R v f GT ?
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

My bike with the San Francisco skyline as a backdrop. (The extra bag on the seat is my tripod.)

Another pic in front of Yosemite Falls from a few weeks ago.

Now have about 2500 miles on my bike. Thoroughly enjoying it. My only complaints are the front suspension and the mirrors. The front end dive will be something I'll just have to get used to. Was spoiled by the R1150R. The mirrors? Just wish they were spaced a bit wider. Other than that, I'll just echo CycleRob's enthusiasm for this bike.

My 2004 R1150R is looking quite lonely in my garage.
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

Your bike looks great and set up nice, how do you find the power compared to the 1150r? And what kind of mpg's are you getting.
Mike
tiPirate
Basic User

Post by tiPirate »

That's a looker, for sure!
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

I have to say that the white looks very nice! I'm usually not a fan of white on bikes.
Buckster '03R
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

captaincable wrote:Your bike looks great and set up nice, how do you find the power compared to the 1150r? And what kind of mpg's are you getting.
Mike
Thanks Mike. This bike has more zip than my 2004 R1150R thanks to the extra hp, less weight and lighter wheels. My gas mileage is right at 50mpg with all three bags on and a mix of freeway and backroads.
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

Buckster wrote:I have to say that the white looks very nice! I'm usually not a fan of white on bikes.
Same here - not a fan of white bikes, but when I saw this one in person it caught my eye. I like how it shows the beautiful lines of the bike. I usually prefer black bikes.
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

Nice looking bike. How big are the saddlebags compared to those on the R1150R?
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

I really love this bike, congrats.
It may be my next BMW.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.