Beakster Bash Seven - Cumberland Plateau

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Beakster Bash Seven - Cumberland Plateau

Post by MikeCam »

Beakster Bash Seven, May 13-17, 2010 Harriman, Tennessee

Just off I40 west of Oak Ridge, TN. Features Frozen Head State Park nearby. Roads in Cumberland Mountains, Cumberland Plateau, Great Smokies, and Nashville.

Lodging to be determined later. Plan early, stay late.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
OU812
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Early Warning -- Beakster Bash Seven

Post by OU812 »

Yes I know, I should make this one...... [-o<
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

I'm going! On a new F800ST.

`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!

Post by MikeCam »

Teaser Data
From Harriman, TN to the TN end of Deal's Gap is 60 miles. To Cherahola Skyway is 65 miles
Knoxville - 45 miles; Chattanooga - 110 miles; Nashville - 140 miles
Atlanta - 215 miles; Columbus, OH - 400 miles; Chicago - 600 miles; New York City - 800 miles

The Cumberland Mountains are a mountain range in the southeastern section of the Appalachian Mountains. They are located in western Virginia, the eastern edges of Kentucky, and east-middle Tennessee, including the Crab Orchard Mountains. Their highest peak, with an elevation of 4145 feet (1263 m) above mean sea level, is Black Mountain, which is located near Lynch in Harlan County, Kentucky. According to the USGS, the Cumberland Mountain range is 131 miles (211 km) long (211 km) and 20 miles (32 km) wide (32 km), bounded by Russell Fork River on the northeast, Pound River and Powell River on the southeast, Cove Creek on the southwest, and Tackett Creek, Cumberland River, Poor Fork Cumberland River, and Elkhorn Creek on the northwest. The crest of the range forms the Kentucky and Virginia boundary from the Tennessee border to Russell Fork River.

The Cumberland Plateau is the southern part of the Appalachian Plateau. It includes much of eastern Kentucky and western West Virginia, part of Tennessee, and a small portion of northern Alabama and northwest Georgia. The terms "Allegheny Plateau" and the "Cumberland Plateau" both refer to the dissected plateau lands lying west of the main Appalachian Mountains. The terms stem from historical usage rather than geological difference, so there is no strict dividing line between the two. Two major rivers share the names of the plateaus, with the Allegheny River rising in the Allegheny Plateau and the Cumberland River rising in the Cumberland Plateau. The Cumberland Plateau is a deeply dissected plateau, with topographic relief commonly of about four hundred feet (120 meters), and frequent sandstone outcroppings and bluffs. At Kentucky's Pottsville Escarpment, which is the transition from the Cumberland Plateau to the Bluegrass in the north and the Pennyrile in the south, there are many spectacular cliffs, gorges, rockhouses, natural bridges, and waterfalls. In Tennessee, the Cumberland Plateau's western border is the Highland Rim east of the Nashville Basin, and its eastern edge is marked by Walden Ridge, which continues south into Alabama as Sand Mountain. Walden Ridge and Sand Mountain are separated from the main portion of the Cumberland Plateau by the Sequatchie Valley, which extends into central Alabama under other names.
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

MikeCam wrote:Teaser Data
From Harriman, TN to the TN end of Deal's Gap is 60 miles. To Cherahola Skyway is 65 miles
Knoxville - 45 miles; Chattanooga - 110 miles; Nashville - 140 miles
Atlanta - 215 miles; Columbus, OH - 400 miles; Chicago - 600 miles; New York City - 800 miles

Houston, TX - 995 miles
Getting closer!
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!

Re: Beakster Bash Seven - Cumberland Plateau

Post by MikeCam »

Grab on while you can darlin'! This 'uns as close as it'll git.
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

MikeCam wrote: Tackett Creek,
Is that named after Tommy Tackett?
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!