Billtown Blues Fest - 10 June

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Billtown Blues Fest - 10 June

Post by challey »

I'd like to put in a plug for a fun ride to hear some terrific music. The Billtown Blues Festival is a great one-day event in Central PA (Williamsport area), held at the Lycoming Country fairgrounds. This is a cool little festival that always features great bands - 6 again this year - for very little $ - usually about $15.

They always book great acts but this year, there are 2 really outstanding bands scheduled: Smokin' Joe Kubeck (and the band's killer guitar player, B'nois King) and Nick Moss & the Flip Tops. Either one of these would sell out Buddy Guy's in Chicago or BB King's place in NYC. They'll be 2 of the 6 acts at the Billtown for the princely sum of $15. Quite a few of the hotels in Williamsport have package deals for the festival weekend (the festival is Sun 10 June) and the cost is usually very reasonable.

In the past, we've ridden to Williamsport the night before, checked into the hotel (The Genetti, right across the street from the Bullfrog Brewpub - how convenient!) and taken the free shuttle to fairgrounds on Sunday. Back home on Monday after a late breakfast. The real bonus is the ride getting there and back - from my start near Phila, there are a variety of excellent routes, ranging from simply scenic to truly challenging mountain roads. Don't know what it's like coming from the West or North, but I've gotta think you can plan a great route through the Alleghenies too. There are good opportunities for local rides as well as other attractions in the area (like the Little League World Series/Museum).

Anyway, if anyone is interested in this, here's a link to the Billtown site http://www.billtownblues.org/
I plan on doing Sat - Mon again this year and would be happy to lay out a route and make arrangements to meet up with any Mid-Atlantic/North East riders who may be interested. I may also be able to arrange for some lawn chairs and possibly even a sun shade to be at the site for the event.

Charlie
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi