Do You Drive A German Car?

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

Mister Moo
Lifer

Re: Do You Drive A German Car?

Post by Mister Moo »

kangarooman wrote:Nearly a year since I purchased a Jetta sportwagen TDI...
Uh... wow? I test drove one a month ago with the rep in the front seat egging me on and - honest - it nearly took my breath away. Nothin' to 100 is calm, quick quiet? Perfectly controlled four-wheel drift through a sweeper cloverleaf at 90mph? Burn rubber in 2nd gear?

This is some incredible not-too-little anymore diesel station wagon that gets the same mpg as my R1200R.
2007 R1200R since October 2012
Lizard Lick, North Carolina - come by
griffi
Basic User

Post by griffi »

2008 328i with sport package. Car is awesome and the reason I looked into the moto...
Newportcycle
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

I ran a C220 for 50k miles and now have a 2005 Jetta, loved both cars. I'd have kept the benz but $1,000 to replace that single arm windshield wiper **ssed me off so bad I couldnt wait to unload that car, the ride was fantastic, you could open the sun roof at 55mph and carry on a normal conversation almost no wind noise. The Jetta is great, 35mpg at 80 mph all day long. I've always wanted a 5 series BMW, am I asking for trouble? How is the reliability?
Organic Mechanic
Basic User

Post by Organic Mechanic »

welp a thread I can identify with...

In the stable--
1-2001 BMW X5 3.0, traded the wife's RAV4 for thinking that it had head gasket, wound up having to build a whole new bottom end for it due to the previous owners lack of maintenance. Even still Love it.

2-1988 BMW E30 Cabrio "the mistress"-had a s52(96 m3 motor) swapped into it. Was an autotragic but with in the first few months was converted to a 5 spd. Lots of other fun stuff as well.

3-1990 BMW 325is-2.7 bottom end with the 2.5 top end, lots of fun tid bits in this one as well.

4-1990 VW Vanagon weekender--lowered rebuilt and doubles as the "Mobile Assault Office"

5-1994 BMW r110rs that I have been building onto since I traded my BMW e34 touring for it...
bransan
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by bransan »

I have loved German cars and bikes most of My life.

Current rides;
2007 525xi, love the all wheel drive, but sometimes miss the older rwd models.
2004 R1150R,Fantastic machine, just over 60k mi with most maintenance performed in My shop of BMW's.

Former rides;
99' 323i sport package
84' 533i got over 300k on this one.
81' 320i sported 405,000mi on the odometer when sold in great running order.
79' r65 red/w snowflake wheels, probably the most economical bike I've owned.

Most favorite;
73' Bavaria purchase for $500. The Father had died and the rest of the family didn't know how to take care of it. I drove that car for 150,000mi, all over the U.S. and Canada, and it never left Me staranded. Always brought conversation and curiosity. If only it had one or two more gears.

I have enjoyed maintaining and repairing many machines over the years, but none have been as rewarding as the BMW's.
With the exception of maybe the Farmall "M", and watching My Grandson rip up the trails on His new Suzuki drz70. He's 6 and has been riding since He was walking, or so it seems.
Keep Your Stick On the Ice.
Listen to Me at kaxe.org
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

I'm on my 7th VW, a 2011 Jetta.

4 beetles: '67, '69, '72, '73
1 '87 Fox: (the most underrated sub compact car ever built.)
2 Jetta's" '91 and '11
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

sjbmw wrote:I'm on my 7th VW, a 2011 Jetta.

4 beetles: '67, '69, '72, '73
1 '87 Fox: (the most underrated sub compact car ever built.)
2 Jetta's" '91 and '11
Currently own an '08 Jetta, had (2) 5 series BMWs and countless scores of other Beetles (past, present) ... the only complaint is with the 98 beetle I still own. The German's know how to make cars (and motorcycles)!!!
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

not at the moment!

we had a 2001 Jetta wagon. Loved it. Only gone because we had 2nd child on the way.....it had a back seat that was a houdini-esque magic trick to get in and out of with a car seat... and I had a bad back at the time. regardless....we Miss it terribly...

I am pretty sure our next car will be either a passat or touareg TDI. Best friend bought the TDI passat. outstanding car. MILES of legroom in the back. and 46mpg on the highway(experienced)
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

I've got an '01 Z3 3.0i .

Always wanted a convertible and living in Phoenix, get a bit more good top down weather, than other places .

I got this vehicle in an eBay auction, the auction closed reserve was not met, but I was the highest bidder .

The BMW dealer contacted me the next day and said that we may be able to come to an agreement on price .

When the negotiations were done, I got the vehicle delivered to my home, the dealer was in Bend, Oregon and it was February, so I decided shipping was the best way for me .

Final price was $30,000 and I received an additional $3000 rebate from Citibank through their Drivers Edge program rewards card .

Out the door price in Phoenix, was around $50,000, so I finally got a good deal on a car !!!!!

Going on thirteen years of ownership and not one complaint with the vehicle yet .

Only hassle with the car now, is that I keep getting offers to buy the vehicle, can't leave it in the dirveway without someone knocking on my front door, asking if I'd consider selling it .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
Frank1150r
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Frank1150r »

Past-
'68 VW bug
'81 VW scirocco
'86 VW GTi
'90 Audi 90 coupe
'93 BMW 325
'00 Audi A4 1.8
'05 VWPassat Wagon
Current-
'96 BMW M3- track car
'00 Audi A6 4.2- wife's daily driver
'04 Porsche Boxster S- fair weather daily driver
'07 VW Touareg 3.6- not so fair weather daily driver
'02 BMW R1150R
'02 Suzuki Bandit 650
'07 Ducati S2R 1000
MMH
Basic User

Post by MMH »

Wife drives a 2011 535.
trickytree
Donating Member #: 1159

Post by trickytree »

Now yer chance, plenty of cheap diesel Golfs around ;-)
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

trickytree wrote:Now yer chance, plenty of cheap diesel Golfs around ;-)

LOL

I laugh, but its bad news for veedub right now. seriously. also...you KNOW this is going on with other manufacturers. wonder if others will feel the wrath of the epa in the wake of this
trickytree
Donating Member #: 1159

Post by trickytree »

Aye, tip of the iceberg I would say.

And while we're at it I'll throw this into the pot. Most cars nowadays have built in sat navs, ever wonder what could be happening when that laptop gets plugged into the diagnostic port?
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

trickytree wrote:Aye, tip of the iceberg I would say.

And while we're at it I'll throw this into the pot. Most cars nowadays have built in sat navs, ever wonder what could be happening when that laptop gets plugged into the diagnostic port?
i try not to think of such things. I'm out of aluminum foil with which to make my hat.

someones always watching. I drove a rental car with onstar.. i did think about for that week lol if someone wanted to, you could be tracked 24-7. DOnt really care. nothing to hide. And if there IS something to hide. Igo into airplane mode.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

Had a 996, 951, 944, and A4, and a variety of VWs. From an enjoyment perspective, any front engine is a waste of time no matter the hp. The mid or rear engined cars IMO provide a nimbler more responsive ride. Audis and Beemers are too heavy and VMWs are FWD so none of them would I consider a fun ride.
With a bike, there's no reason to pay more for anything above a VW price-wise. Since I got the bike there's been no reason to continue to own a Porsche so I got a pickup since I'm constantly hauling lots of items or large items.
I want VW to start making their pickup again like they brought back the beetle. It was perfect for me. My ram is too bulky and heavy and the bed is too high. The ranger is a good idea but it's discontinued. A higher hp version of the VW pickup would be ideal since the bed is low, it's light, and it's not too bulky to maneuver in the city.
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

MThomas wrote:Had a 996, 951, 944, and A4, and a variety of VWs. From an enjoyment perspective, any front engine is a waste of time no matter the hp. The mid or rear engined cars IMO provide a nimbler more responsive ride. Audis and Beemers are too heavy and VMWs are FWD so none of them would I consider a fun ride.
With a bike, there's no reason to pay more for anything above a VW price-wise. Since I got the bike there's been no reason to continue to own a Porsche so I got a pickup since I'm constantly hauling lots of items or large items.
I want VW to start making their pickup again like they brought back the beetle. It was perfect for me. My ram is too bulky and heavy and the bed is too high. The ranger is a good idea but it's discontinued. A higher hp version of the VW pickup would be ideal since the bed is low, it's light, and it's not too bulky to maneuver in the city.
you are my hero for saying that! =D> =D> =D>

even the oft-maligned Pontiac Fiero is a blast to drive. :lol:
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

I think ppl are too stuck on numbers, hp, 0-60 etc as I was until I got in a vette, a stang, a beemer, and then a '72 911. The 911 was a blast to drive and since then I've realized the importance of engine placement and weight. Unfortunately I think #s are what sells cars hence the fiero never got the glory it deserved
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

MThomas wrote:I think ppl are too stuck on numbers, hp, 0-60 etc as I was until I got in a vette, a stang, a beemer, and then a '72 911. The 911 was a blast to drive and since then I've realized the importance of engine placement and weight. Unfortunately I think #s are what sells cars hence the fiero never got the glory it deserved
yes! I have a friend who plopped down 70k for a new vette, and put in flappy paddles automatic gearbox. now, its a FANTASTIC car. but I question him on the automatic. he always says... "its xxx seconds faster than the manual in the quarter mile, and around the nurburgring" neither of which I care about enough to spend that much. its a gorgeous machine though. but downshifting and accelerating a porsche with a boxer is way more fun. IF i wasnt into the bikes, id probably have an old 911 or something like that, before they got too luxury minded.

I REALLY want to buy my son a 914 to fix up for his first car.... but mom is pretty iffy on it. :lol: those cars are slow to accelerate but man are they fun, and maneuverable.
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

Don't have much experience on the 914 and I have an extra VW to give the kid so I won't be going that route but I'd thought about an early Boxster or first gen watercooled 911 (the older air-cooled 911 have gotten way too expensive).
Right now the Boxsters can be had for a song if you can tolerate a convertible. The 911s are higher but those backseats, as small as they are, are surprisingly handy.
In either case, any pre-2009 Porsche needs to have the IMS upgraded or you run the risk of CEF
2004 R1150r Non-ABS