Anything special I need to know?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
cadhopper
Basic User
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:03 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Ruther Glen, Virginia
Contact:

Anything special I need to know?

Post by cadhopper »

I looking at replacing a few things on the 05 Rockster and need to know if there's anything special I need to watch out for or do? You know what I mean, the little tricks or common mistakes. Any special tools I need before starting the project? Reading through the manual it all seems fairly straight forward. I have always done my own wrenching on the many of the bikes I've owned but this is my first major project on a Boxer. BTW, this is a non-ABS bike. Any advice or tips from the old timers would be appreciated. :D

These are the things I'm installing;
1. Ohlins front and rear shocks
2. Wunderlich touring handlebars
3. Longer clutch line
4. Longer brake line
5. Longer throttle cable
6. Longer choke cable
Last edited by cadhopper on Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life would be no fun without twisty roads.
OU812
Lifer
Posts: 2788
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:15 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Buffalo Grove IL Chi Town Sub.

Post by OU812 »

I installed a set of bar backs, and the control wires were very stretched. You may want to check those, as my cables have plenty of play.
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
mcollect
Lifer
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 1:15 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Garrett County, Md

Post by mcollect »

The shocks are the single best thing I did to my roadster, although I used Wilbers. They were less expensive and many think they don't rest on their laurels, either way it is an easey replacement. While the tank is off loosen the cable ties as doing that could give enough play to fit the handlebars without changing cables. At the same time you could add an extra power plug to the battery to attach a trickle charger.
Michael
MG 78 LeMans
2002 R1150R
78 R100S
User avatar
cadhopper
Basic User
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:03 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Ruther Glen, Virginia
Contact:

Post by cadhopper »

mcollect wrote:The shocks are the single best thing I did to my roadster, although I used Wilbers. They were less expensive and many think they don't rest on their laurels, either way it is an easey replacement. While the tank is off loosen the cable ties as doing that could give enough play to fit the handlebars without changing cables. At the same time you could add an extra power plug to the battery to attach a trickle charger.
I do look forward to the shocks. I tend to ride pretty hard so they will help make the bike more compliant in the curves and on the rough back roads I ride. As far as the cables, I have barbacks installed now and have pulled all the slack I can. If I had started with a Roadster I would not need to change the cables, but on the Rockster which has shorter cables to begin with there's no way I can pull enough slack. I had wondered if I could position the cables behind the triple tree but I would just as soon replace them. I don't think it should take me more than a day to do everything.
Life would be no fun without twisty roads.
jarobi
Lifer
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:30 pm
Donating Member #: 644
Location: Missouri

Post by jarobi »

Hi,

the rear shock (front shock too probably, haven't changed it yet) probably has permanent Loctite on it from the factory, so you'll need to apply a little heat to soften the Loctite or you'll be playing with bolt extractors.
mcollect
Lifer
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 1:15 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Garrett County, Md

Post by mcollect »

I didn't notice the need for heat, did the front and rear. A drop of Cr56 did the trick.
Michael
MG 78 LeMans
2002 R1150R
78 R100S
User avatar
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Posts: 2857
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:29 am
Donating Member #: 1
Location: Enjoying retirement in Gainesville GA. USA
Contact:

Post by CycleRob »

cadhopper

--Make sure the Ohlins front shock's overall length matches the stock one. On my bike, that was the Ohlins adjustment all the way collapsed to the minimum length. You can do this on the bike but it's easier on the bench with the end clamped in a vise.

--The lower rear shock mount bolt is red locktite'd in place and comes out hard almost all the way. Have an air wrench or Hulk-like anger and strength if you don't have an 1100 degree heat gun and lots of time.

--Before you disconnect the hydraulic DOT4 lines, use tape or heavy rubber bands or an old oil filter gasket to hold the lever partially squeezed so the internal bleedback hole is covered. Bleed the pressure built up by that partial squeeze, then remove the lines. Very little fluid will leak out, none will siphon out and you'll have full pumping action at the ready when the new lines are connected. Do this before you install the new handlebars.

--When you remove the stock handlebars they'll be stuck to the triple tree. When you yank the bars free, be ready for a heavy, unwieldy assembly and have a couple layers of an old quit protecting the fueltank.

--You'll have to loosen and swing the rear frame to pointing upwards in order to remove the throttle and fast idle cables so be prepared for many components preventing that upswing and concealing the cable ends.

--Be very careful handling/installing the rear shock so the preload oil pressure hose isn't ever bent to too sharp of a radius. I noted it's small diameter, possibly fragile "plasticness" when taking it out of the box and treated it with my full attention until all parts were in place.

--Everything mentioned is important and I'd like to add one more, just as important. I recommend you avoid any alcohol consumption as it will cloud your good judgment and reduce available patience - - - of which you will need lots of both.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
User avatar
cadhopper
Basic User
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:03 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Ruther Glen, Virginia
Contact:

Post by cadhopper »

Thanks for all the advice. :) I hope to get to the project this weekend and will take pictures if I have time.
Life would be no fun without twisty roads.
Post Reply