Lowered suspension - any thoughts?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Mollygrubber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 741

Lowered suspension - any thoughts?

Post by Mollygrubber »

Hi all...

I'm new to this site, and awaiting delivery of a shiny new R1200R (blue, the fastest color I've been told).

My bike has the lowered suspension kit, and I wonder if any of you have the same, and if so how you find it works? I didn't consider ordering this option initially, but as the only available bike in the shop had it, and it actually felt comfortable for me, I grabbed it!

Great to 'meet' you all, if you're in the Vancouver BC Canada area maybe we could hook up for a ride!

Peter Jowett
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

2010 F800GS
Member #741
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Re: Lowered suspension - any thoughts?

Post by websterize »

Hi, Peter, I'm new to this site, too, and recently took delivery of an R1200R. I live in D.C., but have you heard of the Daily Rider blog — http://dailyrider.blogspot.com/. Zutter Bug is an R1200R commuter in Vancouver and one terrific photographer. He might also be a good riding buddy.

Bill

Edit: To your first question, I do not have the lowered-suspension option. Happy riding.
Last edited by websterize on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
Oilhead
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Oilhead »

I would be interested in this too. I notice that the GS comes with the lowered suspension now and I was surprised that I am now totally flat footed with bent knees on a GS. I always wanted a GS but thought it was a little on the tall side for me..... :oops:
2002 BMW R1150R
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2008 Ducati Hypermotard
1996 Ducati 900SS
parkec
Triple Lifer

Post by parkec »

Congrats on a great choice.

but someone has mis-led you...
(blue, the fastest color I've been told).
is incorrect. [-X [-X

Black is the fastest color :smt049

On lowering your bike... you can get a low seat, or get a pair of custom shocks, or http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/list. ... gory_ID=80 or http://www.mpsracing.com/products/MPS/ho02.asp 8-[
IBA #50026
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

parkec wrote:Congrats on a great choice.

but someone has mis-led you...
(blue, the fastest color I've been told).
is incorrect. [-X [-X

Black is the fastest color :smt049
When combined with white pinstripes..

On lowering your bike... you can get a low seat, or get a pair of custom shocks, or http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/list. ... gory_ID=80 or http://www.mpsracing.com/products/MPS/ho02.asp 8-[
I believe he's ordered the factory lowered chassis bike. So I have a question for him..

When you get the bike, please do me a favor and measure the distance between the centerstand pivot and the ground with the bike on the centerstand. I believe BMW actually makes a lowered centerstand for use with their lowered suspension. I'd be curious on this dimension.

Then once you do that - I'll be back to you on how to measure the suspension travel - since I'm curious if the factory lowered suspension looses any travel compared to the "normal" suspension.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Shortpower
Basic User

Post by Shortpower »

Don:

When I bought my bike from Max's (at your suggestion), I had them install Wilbers to lower the bike one inch (they gave me a deal). Part of the deal was that they had a welder section one inch out of the kickstand and centerstand. They work great! The obvious drawback is that, if I return the bike back to stock, I will need to buy new stands. But, as you say: "I love this bike". I won't have to deal with this issue for a long time.

As for the origional question, I motor along quite nicely on the lowered suspension. I ground the brake pedal every once and a while (lowered pegs), but thats all. Hey--I'm short so I deal with it!

Bill Kenny
TBzz
Basic User

Post by TBzz »

A buddy of mine who is not very tall just bought a lowered suspension r/r and he loves it. I took a spin on it, and it felt pretty good even for my 6 foot plus frame. I think you made an excellent choice. Frankly, being really comfortable on a bike is absolutely the first priority. In fact, I have had four bikes in the last 2 years and I've gotten rid of all of them (except my customized R1200C) becuase they just didn't feel perfect. The last sacrifice to my princess-hood was my R1150R. Even with a raised seat I still didn't feel like the bike was made for me. Since my brother had his eye on it and was willing to pay me essentially what I paid for it myself (less a grand or so) I let him have it.

Anyway, best of luck iwth the r/r. I think you made an excellent decision.
Dauntless
Lifer

Post by Dauntless »

deilenberger wrote: When you get the bike, please do me a favor and measure the distance between the centerstand pivot and the ground with the bike on the centerstand. I believe BMW actually makes a lowered centerstand for use with their lowered suspension. I'd be curious on this dimension.

Don,

I have an '09 with a lowered suspension. The measurement from the center of the pin to the bottom of the centerstand is 10.5 inches.
Paul
2009 R1200R
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Dauntless wrote:
deilenberger wrote: When you get the bike, please do me a favor and measure the distance between the centerstand pivot and the ground with the bike on the centerstand. I believe BMW actually makes a lowered centerstand for use with their lowered suspension. I'd be curious on this dimension.

Don,

I have an '09 with a lowered suspension. The measurement from the center of the pin to the bottom of the centerstand is 10.5 inches.
Then they did come out with a shorter one. Mine measures 11".. now how to find the PN... have to see if it's on REALOEM..

Just looked.. REALOEM only lists 1 sidestand and 1 centerstand: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=46&fg=10

It does list a short shock for both front and rear..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Mollygrubber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 741

Post by Mollygrubber »

Thanks for all your opinions guys, I feel like I made a really good choice with this one! Picking her up in 2 hours, ooohhh the suspense... I'll post a couple of pictures if I ever stop riding long enough.

Now for the farkling... although my credit card has apparently caught fire ;) ... engine guard seems like a great idea...

** update **

Brought her home safe & sound, scared the shi+ outta me the whole way! It feels really big and ballsy to me, although I haven't ridden in about 9 years ... guess I need some seat time now! Here's a pic, and for the record, blue is the fastest.

ps. thanks for doing the measuring for me Dauntless!
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

2010 F800GS
Member #741