Great Road Suggestions for New England, New York, Penn.

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

Ghost
Basic User

Great Road Suggestions for New England, New York, Penn.

Post by Ghost »

This Friday, May 8, I'm heading out for a couple weeks on the road aboard my R1200R. I live in Chapel Hill, N.C., and am spending my first day getting to my brother's in Towson, Md. After that I'm just looking for good roads.

A good road for me is:
- challenging--the more twisties the better
- not too crowded
- pretty.

Got any suggestions, folks? My general path will take me north through Pennsylvania, up to New York, and then east.

Thanks!
Daryl.Stamp
Basic User

Re: Great Road Suggestions for New England, New York, Penn.

Post by Daryl.Stamp »

Look for Renovo PA; located in western half of the state. Rt. 144 goes Norh-South passing through this town. It's a little wash-boardy, but on a weekday there's bound to be no traffic. MLW & passed through here two years ago on a Wednesday and there was so little activity that it was almost like the Twilight Zone. There's a hotel in Renovo, but call ahead as they apparently have a lot of guests. Route 6 is listed as a favorite biker route, but seems like it is more for the 'look at me' crowd than those of us that simply want to enjoy the ride.

The Fingerlakes region in Western NY (between Rochester & Syracuse) is one of my favorites (it's where I live); there are myriad 'spots' of great roads, but no single road that's going to keep you entertained for a full day. Highlights in the area are the Glenn Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport (planes, old MCs), Corning Museum of Glass (Corning) & lots of wineries. I'll be back there for one 1.5 days next Tues / Wed; PM me if you want any details. Lake Ontario is interesting sometimes, but maybe anti-climatic if you're used to the ocean. Niagara Falls is nice, but the last 20-30 miles getting there can be pretty boring & a lot of traffic.

That timing will put you into the range of the WV Bash; that's one of the places where I would go if I were planning two weeks of riding.

Regards