f800gs mirrors on the cheap

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Re: f800gs mirrors on the cheap

Post by websterize »

$53 shipped from Touring Sport BMW in South Carolina. Took about 20 minutes to install.

Last edited by websterize on Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
yim4
Basic User

Post by yim4 »

Any ideas why the parts guy at your dealer said it wouldn't work? Maybe they were looking at the older Tuono mirrors?
tobes
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by tobes »

Did you have any problems with the Aprilia clamp? I'm at my local Aprilia dealer and we tried screwing the Aprilia clamp into the BMW base. It want in about a half turn only. Seem that one part is a fine thread and one might be course? I just broke my right side mirror in a fall so I'm looking for a replacement.
Mike
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

tobes wrote:Did you have any problems with the Aprilia clamp? I'm at my local Aprilia dealer and we tried screwing the Aprilia clamp into the BMW base. It want in about a half turn only.
No problems, but it took some elbow grease to thread the clamp into the base. I stopped turning when there was no visible thread. Space on throttle side was tight for my limited tool set, so I tightened the bolt that clamps the mirror stem and used the mirror/stem as a make-shift wrench to screw in the clamp thread to the BMW base. Took a few 360-degree rotations of the mirror/stem to get everything snug. Don't forget to slide on the rubber cover *before* you clamp the stem.
yim4 wrote:Any ideas why the parts guy at your dealer said it wouldn't work? Maybe they were looking at the older Tuono mirrors?
I communicated by e-mail with the dealership in South Carolina, and I think the parts manager thought I was buying for an F800GS. I'm not sure. Thanks again for the dealio heads-up.
Bill
Mark_1
Lifer
Donating Member #: 875

Post by Mark_1 »

Very funny ad, but I like the Vespa version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh1wnZrSVq8.

Mark_1
"... Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union." Frank Lloyd Wright
slow
Basic User

Post by slow »

Hi all,

After reading all the info posted on this thread as well as links to other threads, I ordered a pair as well. The thread on the Aprilia clamp is defiantly not the same as the stock bmw thread. the Aprilia is slightly finer. You can elbow it in just like some of you did. But, I think it will ruin any chance of threading the OEM part back in.

I am wondering the GS clamp part #51167673982 from BMW posted matches the same thread as the R1200R? or is it just the Aprilia counter part?

I don't mind spending $16 for the clamp it is means I do not ruin the OEM thread.

Thanks
tobes
Lifer

Post by tobes »

slow wrote:Hi all,

After reading all the info posted on this thread as well as links to other threads, I ordered a pair as well. The thread on the Aprilia clamp is defiantly not the same as the stock bmw thread. the Aprilia is slightly finer. You can elbow it in just like some of you did. But, I think it will ruin any chance of threading the OEM part back in.

I am wondering the GS clamp part #51167673982 from BMW posted matches the same thread as the R1200R? or is it just the Aprilia counter part?

I don't mind spending $16 for the clamp it is means I do not ruin the OEM thread.

Thanks
I ended up going with the BMW F800GS clamp to match the threads. I'm not sure of the part # but it fit's the R1200R thread perfectly. I tried using the BMW clamp with the Aprilia mirror, it doesn't work. The BMW clamp is too small for the Aprilia mirror. So, I bit the bullet and ordered the BMW mirrors. My dealer had the left in stock and the right is on order. I do like the GS mirrors more than the stock round ones.
Mike
MrPMS
Double Lifer

Post by MrPMS »

HELP! I just recieved the Aprilia mirrors and find that the pinch-clamp base is a different thread pitch (finer) than the handlebar mounts on my R1200R. Any advice?
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Get the F800GS mirrors. Have a pair and LOVE THEM!! I can actually see around my own girth. :D
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
MrPMS
Double Lifer

Post by MrPMS »

Please excuse my last post. I should have read the previous notes on threads. DUH!
waynemathews
Triple Lifer

Post by waynemathews »

MrPMS wrote:HELP! I just recieved the Aprilia mirrors and find that the pinch-clamp base is a different thread pitch (finer) than the handlebar mounts on my R1200R. Any advice?
Any chance you can re-cut the threads? Since others have muscled them into place, they must be fairly close.
09 R1200R
lynnboyd
Lifer

Post by lynnboyd »

waynemathews wrote:Any chance you can re-cut the threads? Since others have muscled them into place, they must be fairly close.
I replaced my mirrors with some aftermarket mirrors with LED turn signals. BMW has a setup designed to require you to replace the R12R mirrors with BMW mirrors, or at least I can't think of any other reason for it. The clutch/brake lever bases have a 10mm x 1.5m pitch and the adapters that thread into the bases both have a 10mm left-hand 1.25 mm thread in the upper part that the mirrors thread into. I know Yamaha uses a left-hand thread on one of the mirrors but it seems like other OEMs and most aftermarket mirrors use right-hand threads. I can see the sense in Yamaha's approach but not in having both mirrors have left-hand threads as BMW does.Image
I got a little mad at BMW and drilled out the left-hand threads and put Time-Serts in them so I could install the aftermarket mirrors. As with several of my R1200R projects, I don't recommend this approach unless you really like to screw around with things.Image
2007 R1200R, Memphis Shades Alley Cat, Sargent seat, Givi PLX cases
1981 KZ1100A1
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

Way cool mirrors! I don't know about drilling out the left hand threads though. How much metal does it leave?

Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
gezerbike
Basic User
Donating Member #: 775

Post by gezerbike »

Why don't you guys just use the stock BMW compression fittings and bar mounts that came with the bike and take the Aprilia mirror stalks and slide them in then just snug them up ?
Mike

1998 R 1100 GS
2008 R 1200 R
2006 Yamamhog Stratoloungerliner
lynnboyd
Lifer

Post by lynnboyd »

gezerbike wrote:Why don't you guys just use the stock BMW compression fittings and bar mounts that came with the bike and take the Aprilia mirror stalks and slide them in then just snug them up ?
Mike,
I'm not sure what you mean. The ends of my stock mirrors are threaded. There isn't a compression fitting.
Lynn
1981 KZ1100A1
tobes
Lifer

Post by tobes »

gezerbike wrote:Why don't you guys just use the stock BMW compression fittings and bar mounts that came with the bike and take the Aprilia mirror stalks and slide them in then just snug them up ?
I tried it, it doesn't work. See my post above. The Aprilia stalk is too big for the BMW GS clamp. I even tried using the bottom part of the BMW clamp and the top part of the Aprilia clamp together, which also doesn't work.
Mike
hb7
Basic User

Post by hb7 »

BMW uses 10mm x1.5mm thread...on the perch mount.
Aprilia uses 10mm x1.25mm thread....on the perch mount.
The BMW collet or clamping nut is made for a 10mm stud.
The Aprilia AP8104921 mirror is a 12mm stud with a 10mmx 1.25mm clamping nut.
It will not fit BMW F800GS. If you forced it, helicoils are your new friends.

All the best,
Henri
http://moto-science.com/
lynnboyd
Lifer

Post by lynnboyd »

In case anyone is considering putting aftermarket mirrors on their R12R, I just came across thread adapters that look like they would work. They're 18-8 stainless with 10mm x 1.5mm male end and 10mm x 1.25mm female end. I saw them at http://www.mcmaster.com/#standoff-spacers/=agnqny. When you get to that page, you might have to click on "Thread Adapters & Spacers." The part number is 92499A712. They're a little expensive ($13.95) but cheaper than a Time-Sert kit.

Lynn
1981 KZ1100A1
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Lynn,

VERY cool find.. these adaptors open up lots of possibilities..

Thanks!
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
winkeldc
Basic User

Post by winkeldc »

Sorry to ask the stupid question, but with those adapters, does it mean that you just need to get the 10mm x 1.5mm to 10mm x 1.25mm thread adapter in order to install those aprilla mirrors? I think from the previous posts I am reading it right that the aprilla mirrors have a 10mm x 1.25mm base. If that's the case, for anyone with the aprilla mirrors, how big is the rubber boot? Would it cover the extra length from the adapter?

Thanks in advance.