R1150r not accelerating when clutch is engaged

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

migtech
Basic User

R1150r not accelerating when clutch is engaged

Post by migtech »

When getting into first gear and every gear after when just starting up I have to ride the bike for about a mile before the problem goes away. When the bike first starts I have hold the choke up but then after a minute I need to get on the throttle even with the choke all the way up. Then when I start to ride it seems like it keeps stuttering even the the clutch is engaged. The mechanic told me this could be bad gas and gave me a fuel injector cleaner. I have ran through 2 full tanks of gas and the problem is still happening. The strange thing is that after I ride the bike for about a mile the problem goes away until I cut off the engine for a few minutes. Then sometimes the problem comes back just until I hit first gear.
MIXR
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: R1150r not accelerating when clutch is engaged

Post by MIXR »

Migtech - Please note that the choke you refer to is actually just a fast idle lever. It doesn't richen the mixture like a normal butterfly choke would. That should not have an effect on your problem. Cheers.
Last edited by MIXR on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
I ride an R1150GS Adventure with sidecar. IBA #39193
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: R1150r not accelerating when clutch is engaged

Post by omg1010 »

migtech wrote:When getting into first gear and every gear after when just starting up I have to ride the bike for about a mile before the problem goes away. When the bike first starts I have hold the choke up but then after a minute I need to get on the throttle even with the choke all the way up. Then when I start to ride it seems like it keeps stuttering even the the clutch is engaged. The mechanic told me this could be bad gas and gave me a fuel injector cleaner. I have ran through 2 full tanks of gas and the problem is still happening. The strange thing is that after I ride the bike for about a mile the problem goes away until I cut off the engine for a few minutes. Then sometimes the problem comes back just until I hit first gear.
Hello migtech,

sounds pretty mysterious what you experience. At first I thought it might be that one of the throttle cables is not properly in its seat but that would not go away after a mile of riding. Nevertheless I would check that anyway. I would think there are 3 possible causes: a) fuel supply, b) ignition and c) hall sensor. I is almost impossible to make a remote diagnosis and would suggest you go see your stealer about this. With regards to the fuel supply it could be a clogged filter or faulty injectors. With regards to the ignition it could be one of the ignition coils and with regards to the hall sensor that thing could have gone south ... There is much trial and error involved in locating the problem and requires some spare parts ...

Brgds
Oliver