Barbacks on '11+ - GPS mount, line length?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Barbacks on '11+ - GPS mount, line length?

Post by SF_Hooligan »

After about 18 months of thinking all you guys with your barbacks were whining about nothing, I'm thinking I might like a bit more bend in my arms. :lol: The stock position is great for twisties, but I also commute year-round and the pretty straight arm position is a bit of a bummer for that - maybe my arms are just a bit too short.

Anyhoo - I've been looking primarily at the Touratech barbacks (http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2245 ... 0R-2011-on) and the Verholens (http://www.bmwmotorcycleaccessories.com ... -90028.htm). I've searched and read just about everything I can find here and elsewhere, but have a couple very specific questions:

-Is anyone running the Touratech locking mount for the Zumo 660 on either of the above barbacks? The Touratech parts use the stock top half of the clamp so I'm certain I'll be ok, but the Verholens appear to use their own clamps halves and I'm not sure the fat bolts for the GPS mount will fit.
-Anyone actually had to extend their lines with either of these? As far as I've seen in poking around the board, everyone has been able to run stock lines.
-Has the slightly back/higher bar position resulted in any negative effects when riding in a more spirited fashion in the twisties?

Thanks!
VanDan
Basic User

Re: Barbacks on '11+ - GPS mount, line length?

Post by VanDan »

Hey SF

I actually just put those risers (Touratech) on my bike last week. I love them. I was not uncomfortable with stock height but at times I found myself saying I wish I was a tad more upright.

Went for a nice 250 mile run up MT Baker yesterday and did not notice any difference in handling.

I ordered the recommended longer brake-line but did not need it, so I returned it. All I did was cut the cable ties for the front brakes and it gave me just enough movement in the lines.

I think the other risers would need a longer brake line for sure as they extend further back. It sounds like you are like me and don't really NEED them but would be nice to be upright. I would go with the Touratech as they are cheaper and don't need a need brake line. Quality is also top notch.

Cannot comment about GPS mount.

Dan
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

VanDan wrote:Hey SF

I actually just put those risers (Touratech) on my bike last week. I love them. I was not uncomfortable with stock height but at times I found myself saying I wish I was a tad more upright.

Went for a nice 250 mile run up MT Baker yesterday and did not notice any difference in handling.

I ordered the recommended longer brake-line but did not need it, so I returned it. All I did was cut the cable ties for the front brakes and it gave me just enough movement in the lines.

I think the other risers would need a longer brake line for sure as they extend further back. It sounds like you are like me and don't really NEED them but would be nice to be upright. I would go with the Touratech as they are cheaper and don't need a need brake line. Quality is also top notch.

Cannot comment about GPS mount.

Dan
Thanks a bunch, Dan! I think the GPS mount will be fine with the Touratech barbacks.
cug
Basic User

Post by cug »

If you get the Touratechs could you post results and maybe even photos here? Wife might be interested in a little less reach to the bars for long trips.
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

I believe the GPS mount bolts should fit in the verholen's, the diameter of the bolt head is the same as the OEM bolts and the nut part should be raised up enough to clear the mount. I have those bolts and have had the verholen's on the 800R.
The only thing that could be an issue is the angle since the verholens are angled down towards the front instead of towards the rear, not sure if the GPS mount would be able to angle in a way that the GPS would be where you'd want it. Probably would, but haven't tested it first hand. I see no reason it wouldn't work with the TT risers too.

I still have the TT GPS brackets that I never used, instead mounting a little hard case using the bolts out of the kit and then mounting the GPS to the box giving me a little storage and a mount all in one. Have moved that setup to a few bikes, works great.

If you want the brackets I'll give them to you, BMW sells the bolts for their GPS kit by themselves. I think they are about $9 a piece.

Here's how I did mine and a visual on the bolt height:

Stock bolts

BMW GPS bolts

Image\

BTW, love your Lane Splitting thing you have going on, watched your interview too. You're a true ambassador for the sport. Bravo!
Get Lost!
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Lost Rider wrote:I believe the GPS mount bolts should fit in the verholen's, the diameter of the bolt head is the same as the OEM bolts and the nut part should be raised up enough to clear the mount. I have those bolts and have had the verholen's on the 800R.
The only thing that could be an issue is the angle since the verholens are angled down towards the front instead of towards the rear, not sure if the GPS mount would be able to angle in a way that the GPS would be where you'd want it. Probably would, but haven't tested it first hand. I see no reason it wouldn't work with the TT risers too.

I still have the TT GPS brackets that I never used, instead mounting a little hard case using the bolts out of the kit and then mounting the GPS to the box giving me a little storage and a mount all in one. Have moved that setup to a few bikes, works great.

If you want the brackets I'll give them to you, BMW sells the bolts for their GPS kit by themselves. I think they are about $9 a piece.
BTW, love your Lane Splitting thing you have going on, watched your interview too. You're a true ambassador for the sport. Bravo!
Thanks for all the info, sir. Your responses are always so damn helpful and comprehensive!

I already have the mount, and am pretty happy with it - but thanks for your offer. And thanks for the kind words on the lane splitting thing. If you'd like some stickers, PM me your address and I'll send you some.

I had thought a bit about the Verholens and the angle and after seeing your pics I agree - I'm not sure the mount will be able to tilt much past horizontal. I like it pretty slanted, otherwise the glare is bad. I'm also thinking that the rise in the middle of the Verholen is too tall and tight for the shoulder on the GPS mount bolts - it's pretty high.

Your box setup is cool. I'll have to mess around with putting the TT mount flat on a box - I like the locking nature of it. Very helpful for quick stops and honestly (although I should know better) I often leave it on there in San Francisco with no issues.

Thanks again to both of you!
Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Post by Karamazov »

After about 18 months of thinking all you guys with your barbacks were whining about nothing, I'm thinking I might like a bit more bend in my arms. :lol: The stock position is great for twisties, but I also commute year-round and the pretty straight arm position is a bit of a bummer for that - maybe my arms are just a bit too short.
I just got back from a 4 day jaunt, and found myself thinking the exact same thing. I'm nearing 20k on this RR and I'm not sure if the ergos are just slightly more aggressive than my '07, or if I'd just gotten so used to the very upright ergos on the dual sport bikes I'd ridden in between. I like the sporty look of the bike, and sometimes like the mid-tuck position the handlebars allow, but I can't help but think every time I ride my buddy's F800GS, that it's just so much more comfortable. I have 'lil T-Rex arms, and find I get the numb hand sensation after a few hours, I think bar risers may remedy that as well. Like you, running new brake lines was a concern - and probably the only thing stopping me from upgrading. Please let us know how it works out, I may be piggy backing on this one.
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Karamazov wrote:...I have 'lil T-Rex arms...
:lol: Ordered the Touratech barbacks today. Should have 'em in a few days and will report back once they're on.
jroadhouse
Donating Member #: 937

Post by jroadhouse »

Thanks and looking forward to your report, as I have the same issue.

JR
'11 R 1200 R
'15 R Nine T
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

jroadhouse wrote:Thanks and looking forward to your report, as I have the same issue.

JR
Parts are in the garage - might install 'em tomorrow. And of course, as soon as I get the Touratech barbacks, Hetman sends me a link to a set of Verholens on ADV Rider. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.p ... ght=r1200r I kind of wanted the shorter back-ness of the Touratechs anyway, but maybe someone here will pick those up - it's a good price.
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

I put the barbacks on last night, but them pulled them back off. While everything will go together, there's too much tension for my liking on the brake line when at or near full lock on the right. So I'm going to get a longer line and do it again.

Brakes are just too critical to screw around with. Maybe I'd be ok forever with no issues, but the pull on the line is enough that I don't want to risk it. I ride every day in some of the gnarliest traffic in CA, and when I'm not doing that I ride on lots of remote roads with looooong drops all over the place. In either case, losing the brakes would be the epitome of no bueno.

Otherwise, I'm pretty pleased with the fit and finish of the pieces - although I will say that while pulling another Touratech piece off - the locking GPS mount - the hex hole in one of their provided screws stripped and I had to cut a slot in it to get it out. I'd be happier with some better screws - and will source them myself. Reminds me of that section in "Zen and Motorcycle Maintenance" on cheap screw-induced "stuckness."

Anyhoo... I'll report back when I get the new line and install the whole thing. Gotta look into how much of a pain bleeding the linked brakes will be. It was a real pain on my VFR - hopefully not so much on my R.
Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Post by Karamazov »

... there's too much tension for my liking on the brake line when at or near full lock on the right.
Frick
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Karamazov wrote:
... there's too much tension for my liking on the brake line when at or near full lock on the right.
Frick
Yeah... lots of other people have reported no issues. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to this, or maybe the lines vary a bit in length. The "long" line from Touratech is only 3 cm longer. Gonna poke around and see what my other options are.
David R
Basic User

Post by David R »

Sheiss! :)
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Well, turns out I can get a custom line from Spiegler for about half the price of the Touratech line. :mrgreen: Should have it next week-ish.